Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skins: My Thoughts

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Skins: My Thoughts Empty Skins: My Thoughts

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:46 am

I started watching Skins a few days ago and already I am almost finished with the series so far. I loved the first two seasons. I loved the characters and their various stories.

Took me awhile to warm up to the characters of Season 3 and 4. In truth I had considered abandoning the series. Of course I would have missed out on quite a few amazing things. First off there is Emily and Naomi... a redhead and a blonde... could there be a better pairing? I think not. I would also have missed out on two great episodes focusing on JJ... who all in all is a great character but his season 4 episode was just amazingly awesome.

But here is the reason why I decided to give it a shot. Effy. Her character has pretty much intrigued me since the begining. She didn't get much screen time and you didn't know she was really there until later in the first season and some in the second.

But I just love her story that runs throughout the series. Some of the best episodes in seasons 3 and 4 have to be the ones dealing with Effy. She can be a bit of a person you wouldn't want to hang out with at times. She sorta reminded me of Tony her brother. I sorta love-hated him. Loved the character but he also just pissed me off. You know?

But yeah I think she had some of the better episodes in season 3 and 4. The actress who plays her is amazing in my opinion.

I also finally realize why the two sets of seasons feel so different. The first season didn't really touch on relationships as much as the 3&4. It was more about life in general, about friendship, and yes issues of love. But Season 3&4 heavily focus on the aspect of Love and its more darker aspects. Until now I figured they did a nasty shift trying to cater more to shippers then anything. But even if its true, then atleast they managed to make it meaningful and more powerful then if it were just 'who is she going to choose?!?!' and all that crap.

Well im going to finish the series and give a better review later. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Skins: My Thoughts Empty Re: Skins: My Thoughts

Post by Rex Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:52 am

I just finished with the second episode and wow. This was absolutely brilliant. I love Cassie and the episode was so heartbreaking. Seeing her how alone she was, how the clinic that was supposed to help her was pretty much useless, how her friends are family don't even bother. And teh storyline with the messages and Sid? I suspected it might be something like this but still it was so sad to her like this. And wow the ending? Brilliant

And what I liked most of all was that this show actually made me feel scared for Cassie. It's not the kind of a show where you can just expect everything to turn out fine

Oh and I am loving Angie. Wish I had such a teacher Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 am

Rex wrote:I just finished with the second episode and wow. This was absolutely brilliant. I love Cassie and the episode was so heartbreaking. Seeing her how alone she was, how the clinic that was supposed to help her was pretty much useless, how her friends are family don't even bother. And teh storyline with the messages and Sid? I suspected it might be something like this but still it was so sad to her like this. And wow the ending? Brilliant

And what I liked most of all was that this show actually made me feel scared for Cassie. It's not the kind of a show where you can just expect everything to turn out fine

Oh and I am loving Angie. Wish I had such a teacher Smile

Cassie is definitely one of my favorite characters. Especially in the first season. At first I thought she was going to be just another one of those slut characters. But this episode put that to rest and made me really like her. Also I just love how she always says 'Oh wow' this episode was definitely one of my favorites. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:18 pm

I just finished episode 5. I am beyond happy that Sid got his ass kicked. He deserved worse for the way he treated Cassie. God what a tool
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Rex wrote:I just finished episode 5. I am beyond happy that Sid got his ass kicked. He deserved worse for the way he treated Cassie. God what a tool

Yeah he was a bit of an idiot in that episode. He doesn't see that Cassie is interested in him. Also Tony was a bit of an ass towards Michelle in that episode if I remember correctly.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm

So I finally understood who Effy is. Gotta say so far I thought that Tony was just an unpleasant little sociopath but it look like he just needs to really grow up. And it looks like the key was the only person who he gives a crap about. His sister

Sid seems to be finally growing a pair and it's interesting to see the dynaic between him and Cassie

I am kinda loving Angie. She is so messed up. It was so hilarious to see her and Michelle in those tiny uniforms. Lol poor Chris the boy probably thought he was in Heaven when he saw them all wet and dressed up

I kinda starting to like Michelle. At first I dismissed her completely but the episode centered around changed my mind. I guess this is the real strength of Skins. Giving you a second look at the characters and making you reevaluate your opinion. Not many shows can do this
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Rex wrote:So I finally understood who Effy is. Gotta say so far I thought that Tony was just an unpleasant little sociopath but it look like he just needs to really grow up. And it looks like the key was the only person who he gives a crap about. His sister

Yeah Effy has a very minor role in Seasons 1 and 2. She becomes a larger character in the next two seasons. I also think you will enjoy her storyline in the last 2 seasons. Well parts of it anyways. Hard not to say without spoiling.

See thats what I thought of Tony too. He also just seemed bored and didn't care or maybe didn't understand what an ass he is. But I also liked that atleast he didn't just truly care about himself, he cared about his sister too.

Sid seems to be finally growing a pair and it's interesting to see the dynaic between him and Cassie

I really loved their relationship in the series. I guess for me they seemed to almost make sense in away.

I am kinda loving Angie. She is so messed up. It was so hilarious to see her and Michelle in those tiny uniforms. Lol poor Chris the boy probably thought he was in Heaven when he saw them all wet and dressed up

Wait which episode was this? I mean I remember the scene where Angie was in the teachers shower room and they all sorta barged in. But I can't... oh I remember now. When Michelle throws up on Angie and then herself. lol (yes I did remember that as I was typing this. lol)

I kinda starting to like Michelle. At first I dismissed her completely but the episode centered around changed my mind. I guess this is the real strength of Skins. Giving you a second look at the characters and making you reevaluate your opinion. Not many shows can do this

Yeah I didn't like Michelle all that much either. But I agree that Skins gives presents you with a character and his or her actions and you get this idea about them. Then later something happens and you sorta realize that character isn't who you thought they were.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I just finished the first season of Skins and wow. Now that was an awesome finale. They really tied it up well and left me wanting to see more. And the music was really surprising but a very ncie touch

It was also cool to see more of Effy and Tony. They really seem like good siblings. I didn't even notice that Effy wasn't speaking before but now that I think about it this silence seem to add to her chaarcter

And it was hilarious to see Sid desperate attempt get Cassie back. Lol no wonder they locked him up. That boy really needs to invest in a mirror

I am impressed with the Anwar adn Max storyline. It's rare that they actually get down muslims as normal people but they got it here

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Rex wrote:I just finished the first season of Skins and wow. Now that was an awesome finale. They really tied it up well and left me wanting to see more. And the music was really surprising but a very ncie touch

Yeah the first season finale was great. The music bit just sorta took me by surprise. Not exactly something I would expect in such a show.

It was also cool to see more of Effy and Tony. They really seem like good siblings. I didn't even notice that Effy wasn't speaking before but now that I think about it this silence seem to add to her chaarcter

I think if Effy had a bigger role the silence would be more of something you would notice. Like you I hadn't really noticed until Michelle I think pointed it out. I really wished they had shown more of Tony and Effy together. Well there is a great scene in I think the first episode of season 2 with them together.

And it was hilarious to see Sid desperate attempt get Cassie back. Lol no wonder they locked him up. That boy really needs to invest in a mirror

Yeah well you don't go to a psychiatric facility wearing that kind of Tshirt. Was it the one with Megadog or whatever? Totally doesn't help your cause when you try and say your sane. I also loved how they both ended up on that hill over looking the city.

I am impressed with the Anwar adn Max storyline. It's rare that they actually get down muslims as normal people but they got it here

This was definitely one of my favorite friendships. Was also refreshing to see a Muslim family protrayed as normal people. It was nice and refreshing. The scene where Maxxie comes out to Anwar's father was great. I was pretty much expecting that this would end up tearing a larger hole in their friendship. But the way the reaction was, was great.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:30 am

I started season 2 and hmm I gotta say it's a bit underwhelming for now. Tony's story is brilliant and completely unexpected. I thought that maybe he will be paralyzed for a while or something but I definitely didn't expect him to go mental.

But while his story is extremely interesting they seem to have decided to lead out with Max and while he is not a bad character r he is just not really that intriguing

I also kinda want to more of Sif and Cassie. Her scotish video was awesome and the wallpaper Sid made of her is incredibly beautiful and it's cool to see that they still care for each other even if they are far away
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:48 am

Rex wrote:I started season 2 and hmm I gotta say it's a bit underwhelming for now. Tony's story is brilliant and completely unexpected. I thought that maybe he will be paralyzed for a while or something but I definitely didn't expect him to go mental.

Tony has a great episode later in the season. There are some also great episodes up ahead.

But while his story is extremely interesting they seem to have decided to lead out with Max and while he is not a bad character r he is just not really that intriguing

I was definitely more interested in Tony then I was in Max. So I was a bit disapointed that it seemed to be more focused on Max. But I also thought the episode had some great moments. I loved when Max's dad grabs that one kid and shoves him into the wall. That and the dad and the dog dancing. lol

I also kinda want to more of Sif and Cassie. Her scotish video was awesome and the wallpaper Sid made of her is incredibly beautiful and it's cool to see that they still care for each other even if they are far away

That wallpaper was a tad creepy in my opinion. But it was a beautiful picture.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 am

Unit7 wrote:I was definitely more interested in Tony then I was in Max. So I was a bit disapointed that it seemed to be more focused on Max. But I also thought the episode had some great moments. I loved when Max's dad grabs that one kid and shoves him into the wall. That and the dad and the dog dancing. lol

Absolutely. I loved this part. His dad was a badass and the dog dancing was awesome

That wallpaper was a tad creepy in my opinion. But it was a beautiful picture.

Definetely creepy but somehow really fitting for this pair lo. They are both so weirdly funny in their own way

Now I am watching the episode where they go camping. The part with the tide was hilarious but I gotta say I am pissed about the Sid and Michelle thing. It's really fucked that Cassie always gets messed up .
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Rex wrote:
Absolutely. I loved this part. His dad was a badass and the dog dancing was awesome

I always love hearing about dads like him. I mean that whole episode pretty much sums up one of my favorite types of characters. Very weird and protective and overall badass.

Definetely creepy but somehow really fitting for this pair lo. They are both so weirdly funny in their own way

Definitely fitting. Would be awesome to see Cassie having a similar poster in her room. lol

Now I am watching the episode where they go camping. The part with the tide was hilarious but I gotta say I am pissed about the Sid and Michelle thing. It's really fucked that Cassie always gets messed up .

The whole Sid and Michelle thing really sucked. It really isn't fair that Cassie always seems to get screwed over. On the bright side, Cassie does learns... eh nevermind. You'll see later. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Just saw the episode centered around Effy. I understand what you see in her. She pure Grade A badass

Also I loved the previous episode. It was great to see Toni getting his balls back and it was done superbly
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Rex wrote:Just saw the episode centered around Effy. I understand what you see in her. She pure Grade A badass

My real love for the character starts in the next two seasons. Well at first I wasn't too sure if I was going to continue to like the character, but in the end I really enjoyed all of it.

Also I loved the previous episode. It was great to see Toni getting his balls back and it was done superbly

Is that the episode where Tony goes to that College and meets that girl? If it was then I thought it was one of my favorite episodes. Especially when its hinted at who that girl might really be.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:41 pm

So I finally finished season 2 and from what I understand this is essentially the end for this generation and I have to say it was brillaint. Somehow I don't even know how but in just 20 or less they managed to get me to love each and every one of the characters in their own way. They managed to flesh out interesting and engaging storyline that made you feel real empathy with the characters and you actually felt those two years. You really went through it with them. I still can't believe that so much could be so brilliantly fitted in so little time

And most of all once again I am astounded but just how realistic the portrayal of all of them was. They were real people, not the usual hollywood cliches. They lived life in their own way and changed and yet in a weird way stayed true to themselves. I am especially impressed with the chaarcters of Cassie. Usually when you see mental characters on TV it's done in a limited number of ways. First you have some brief cameo of someone who teaches a valauble lesson, someone who is "crazy" in a cute fun way that entertains us like Luna(who I also love) and the most common one of someone with problems who magically gets cured once they got friends and some good things happen. But Cassie was the real deal. She was charming and yet you could see how tragically fucked up she is. How even when she is at her happiest she still just a step away from the abyss.

That's the reality of people who are so balanced. They are living on the edge and rarely get "normal" And I have to salute the writers for daring to go with this cruel reality

God I feel like there is so much more to talk about. Honestly this show really get's you thinking and almost feeling for the characters like they are real. I haven't seen something like this since Six Feet Under. Except that the characters over there while as real as those on Skins if not more real were beyond fucked up and I pretty much loathed the majority of them

So in conclusion I guess all I can say is fuck it Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:57 pm

So in conclusion I guess all I can say is fuck it

Amen to that!

Yeah the story for this gang is over. Effy and Pandora are the only two teen characters that appear in the next two seasons. I think a few adults appear such as Tony and Effy's parents.

I loved the season 2 finale. It was sad that not everyone got a happy ending. Well Anwar and Max and his boyfriend seemed to get a happy ending to some degree anyways. But in the end everything is sorta left open. Does Sid actually find Cassie? What happens to Tony and Michelle later on? What of Sketch? I mean even she didn't get a happy ending and aside from turning Anwar into Max(oh that was hillarious) and stalking Max, she wasn't given much screen time. But I still felt sorry for her.

As much as I would want to see what happens to these characters next, I can't think of a better finale.

I couldn't agree more that the writers, with the help of some great actors, presented real people. Sometimes you hated them and wanted to beat some sense into them. Other times you felt sorry for them and fell in love with them. It was just amazing how they were able to do this.

Also the greatest lesson any show could teach was present.

Fuck it.

I actually really loved the episode with Chris's funeral. Tony seemed to be finally back in action with stealing the coffin. Also Jal's eulogy at the end was great.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:17 am

Unit7 wrote:
So in conclusion I guess all I can say is fuck it

Amen to that!

Yeah the story for this gang is over. Effy and Pandora are the only two teen characters that appear in the next two seasons. I think a few adults appear such as Tony and Effy's parents.

I loved the season 2 finale. It was sad that not everyone got a happy ending. Well Anwar and Max and his boyfriend seemed to get a happy ending to some degree anyways. But in the end everything is sorta left open. Does Sid actually find Cassie? What happens to Tony and Michelle later on? What of Sketch? I mean even she didn't get a happy ending and aside from turning Anwar into Max(oh that was hillarious) and stalking Max, she wasn't given much screen time. But I still felt sorry for her.

As much as I would want to see what happens to these characters next, I can't think of a better finale.

I couldn't agree more that the writers, with the help of some great actors, presented real people. Sometimes you hated them and wanted to beat some sense into them. Other times you felt sorry for them and fell in love with them. It was just amazing how they were able to do this.

Also the greatest lesson any show could teach was present.

Fuck it.

I actually really loved the episode with Chris's funeral. Tony seemed to be finally back in action with stealing the coffin. Also Jal's eulogy at the end was great.

I heard there is going to a Skin movie this year. I really hope it's centered around the first generation and Effy. I know it's going against the spirit of the show but fuck it. I wanna see a happy ending for everybody. Even for Sketch. I especially want to see Sid and Cass together. Call me crazy but it would be crazyily awesome to see them having some kind of a crazy life on a farm in Iowa with cows so Sid can have all the milk he wants and a big field for Cassie to grow her weed. And maybe a couple of rugrats too. Ahh look at me getting all mushy

Chris funreal from the coffin chase to the eulogy was kinda awesome. In a way I think Chris would have loved his funreal to have gone down like that. Kinda crappy that his mom wasn't there though

Now I am watching season 3 and it's a bit of a letdown. Effy still shines brightly. She had some very powerful scenes especially in the story about her parents. The rest are a bit meh for now. Pandora is tolerable, the lesbian twin and blondie are not bad either and I can see some potential in them but the boy....Skaterboy is just too bland for me and frankly I can't see him keeping up with Effy, the geek is too much of a dormat and not enough personality and the douchebag? Man he is just unpleasant. He is Toni at his worst times 10 but without the charisma and intelligence. I kinda wish the gangster had killed him. Although I guess they might fix him. With this show I guess anything can happen
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 am

I think I know what the movie is about. Atleast I hope I am right. All I know there is supposed to be one, haven't bothered checking in. Though I hear some of the old cast will be in it aswell. I could totally see Sid and Cassie on some farm.

Yeah I know what you mean about the third season. I wasn't too interested in the characters really. Well it just felt like a completely different series to me at first. Took me much longer to really enjoy the characters this time around.

Cook was just annoying. Actually I never liked him much. Freddy(skaterboy) also seemed a bit boring. But I did really like JJ. Well there are a couple of great episodes that are centered around him.

As for the lesbians. There were some good episodes around them. Though they got a bit annoying in the 4th season.

But Effy was really the only reason I continued watching. I wanted to see more of her and for me it was worth watching.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 am

Really? What?

I think it's the chemistry. I could easily believe that the first guys were close friends from childhood . Anwar and Maxxie, Sid and Toni even Michelle and Jaal seemed really comfortable with each. Hell Cassie and Chris who I don't really remember interacting much looked like old buddies when they were roomies. All of them were a real family

But the new guys? Well they are just meeting up but even the three that are supposed to have been friends since childhood just don't seem to have much a family thing going. At least for now

Haven't seen much of J.J. I am at the episode with the episode with the election and speaking of lesbians I am liking how the story goes. They look pretty sweet together and I can see real potential

Yeah. For now my main reason is also Effy followed by the lesbians. And now I am quite interested to know what they will do with J.J
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Rex wrote:Really? What?

Well its more of a hope thing. Mostly because the way Season 4 ended. You will see what I mean soon enough. But I do hear that some of the old cast will make a return. But that might just be rumors and hopeful wishing.

I think it's the chemistry. I could easily believe that the first guys were close friends from childhood . Anwar and Maxxie, Sid and Toni even Michelle and Jaal seemed really comfortable with each. Hell Cassie and Chris who I don't really remember interacting much looked like old buddies when they were roomies. All of them were a real family
But the new guys? Well they are just meeting up but even the three that are supposed to have been friends since childhood just don't seem to have much a family thing going. At least for now

The chemistry for the first generation was great. They really did seem like childhood friends. With the second generation with JJ, Cook, and Freddy it doesn't feel like they had been friends. Well I guess its ok because their storyline seems to be the idea of friends falling out with each other. Not only because of Effy, but because they seem to be growing apart. So I think in this regard it works. But it would probably have been great to see them as best buds and if it felt like they had been friends for awhile the whole thing would be better. If I recall correctly, this breakup in friendship was sorta right away.

Haven't seen much of J.J. I am at the episode with the episode with the election and speaking of lesbians I am liking how the story goes. They look pretty sweet together and I can see real potential

JJ at that point is sorta a background character. Atleast thats what it felt like to me. He just seemed to get in the way. But he has some great moments and episodes. Not sure how far you have gotten, but there is one magic trick he performs for Effy and Freddy that was hillarious. As fr the Lesbians. I forge their names. I enjoyed their story up to a point. After awhile it sorta seemed to drag on a certain point.

Yeah. For now my main reason is also Effy followed by the lesbians. And now I am quite interested to know what they will do with J.J

Two great reasons in my opinion. Who doesn't love a character like Effy? And the lesbian bit is sorta self explanatory. I wanna say that I think you will end up liking JJ, but not sure.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Oh god.....the american version of Skins was on MTV. Seriously instead they exchanged the insane Russia storyline with a trip to Canada. Jeezz MTV when did they take your balls?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 am

Rex wrote:Oh god.....the american version of Skins was on MTV. Seriously instead they exchanged the insane Russia storyline with a trip to Canada. Jeezz MTV when did they take your balls?

You know just the other day I considered watching the US version of Skins. But then I remembered how they ripped off the first episode and what little they didn't rip off just seemed like crap. I decided against it.

Since then I had pretty much forgotten all about that abomination. Sad
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Soap Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm

--

Last edited by Soap on Sun May 25, 2014 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Soap
Soap

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Soap wrote:
I loved Cassie and Sid. Just- everything about everything. Sid especially. Of course no one can replace the first generation imo. Could not get into Effy and her storyline, didn't think she was the best actress, and didn't think her plot was original ("I'm a lost teen how am I ever going to deal with all these boys liking me").

Sid and Cassie are perhaps one of my favorite couples in all of fiction.

As for Effy. Her storyline was much more complex then that. It wasn't that she was a 'lost teen' trying to deal with the boys liking her. It was more about her gradual breakdown. She had built walls around herself because she couldn't quite deal with her emotions. When the two guys started to fight for her the walls crumbled and so all the emotions and crap just flooded in to the point where she had a mental breakdown. Her side of that story wasn't about how she will deal with the two boys, but rather how she will deal with all of her emotions.

The new season with Franky- adored. She is just so quirky. It had its weak points though. I think they should throw out that cast and hope for the best.

I had completely forgotten that there was supposed to be a new season so I haven't seen it. Might have to watch it soon. lol

Couldn't get my hands on any US episodes, if you guys know where I can get it, lend the link please. Yes, I know it will make me gouge my eyes out.

If you don't mind being a pirate...

http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2707587-Skins
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down