Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review.

2 posters

Go down

Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review. Empty Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review.

Post by Unit7 Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 am

When I first learned that they were going to be doing a anime style version of Supernatural I was actually rather excited. Worried a bit, but excited nonetheless.

I wasn't aware until tonight that they were even available at all until I was on Letmewatchthis and was browsing for a show to watch. Wondered was was recently released and... there it was.

I watched the first episode and I have to say I enjoyed. Was it perfect? No.

Now unlike the remake of That Which Should Not Be Named(skins) it doesn't take the first episode and recreate it scene by scene adding small... or large changes. In fact the first episode, atleast the one I was linked to, started off on the episode Skin. Which is episode 6.

But even so, it was different then the Original. I mean... really different. Unlike in the... actually from this point on I'll just call the Original TV show and the animation anime. Unlike in the TV show, where the brothers are helping a friend of Sam's from College, the anime sets it up as just another job along the road to finding their father.

While I haven't seen the episode I am going to say they took the original, took a few ideas, and then just rewrote it. Was it bad? Was it worse? No it was just... different. But its been awhile so I can't really compare the two.

What this means to me is that this isn't going to be a complete remake. While its going to follow the same story, its going to be a fresh new experience. Which is good. I mean it has to be. Otherwise how the hell does Marvel and DC get away with retconning their heroes?

I also hear that they will expand more on their childhood and provide more original cases. Which to me just seems like a big bonus.

The animation itself was pretty good. Well I enjoyed it. With the endless possibility of animation it provides the creators to expand on things that the live action could never... well they could but it probably wouldn't work out.

In the anime shapeshifters are seen in their actual form. It gives us something to look at instead of the usual shapeshifting tricks of live action. Not to say that those tricks are bad, but having just about every villian in Supernatural be human looking is sorta annoying in a way. In the anime we will most likely see something other then black smoke for demons outside of a host. Maybe. I dunno. But without the risk of ruining an episode with lame CGI, they can show and feature different monsters differently. You know what I mean? Ok so can you explain it to me? (no don't. Just a catch phrase... of sorts)

The dubbing... ah yes. Dubbing is of course the natural enemy of anime or anything really.

Well the voice actors suck. No offense to Jared Padelecki... wow I butchered his last name right? But sometimes it just feels off. Then for the guy who voices Dean. I saw a comment that it gets better but... his was pretty bad. It wasn't something that ruins it. It was just weird. Maybe its because he is trying to much to sound like Jensen Ackles? Maybe not. But its all a bit off.

Not a big ruiner in my opinion. Though I am sure you can find a subtitled version somewhere.

Also while I am enjoying the animation. Some scenes just feel awkwardly done. Had to explain, probably something you gotta see for yourself.

Overall?

Its not bad. Not the best thing but I am looking forward to seeing more. From my experience I don't necessarily rely on the pilot episode to determine if I will enjoy a show that interests me.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review. Empty Re: Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review.

Post by Rex Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 am

Ditto. I think the big problem is that they tried copying a few episodes which makes it had not to compare and the anime will of course lose. Once they go into completely original territory I think it will be much better
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review. Empty Re: Supernatural: The Animation Pilot Review.

Post by Unit7 Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 am

Rex wrote:Ditto. I think the big problem is that they tried copying a few episodes which makes it had not to compare and the anime will of course lose. Once they go into completely original territory I think it will be much better

I can't wait to see more original storylines and for them to delve into their childhoods.

Though I am missing the 40 minutes for each episode. While some episodes I can see working fine within the 20 or so minutes, some I can't. The shapeshifter episode worked fine and even the episode with the dead girl. But for the one where they meet their mother's ghost It probably would have worked out better if it were longer or something. I dunno.

Though the voice actor for Dean is either getting better or I am just getting used to it.

Also I loved the scene after the credits in Roadkill(I think that was the name) The one with the dead girl who didn't realize she was dead.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum