Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stargate Atlantis...

2 posters

Go down

Stargate Atlantis... Empty Stargate Atlantis...

Post by Unit7 Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 pm

So I had nothing to do for the past two days and found myself finishing Season 1 and starting Season 2 of Stargate Atlantis.

First off. I was never really sure how I felt about Rodney in SG1. But I am glad they decided to bring him back for Atlantis because he is a great character. I mean he is an arrogant man who thinks he, with some good reason, the smartest guy in the world... galaxy or universe I guess. He is constantly talking down to people and yet it's done in such a way that you love his cowardice and brave moments and yeah. Characters like him can either go of 1 of 2 ways really. Either they are completely and utterly annoying and you want them to die or you get some fantastic performances and characters.

I am also enjoying the connection that bridges SG1 and SGA. I remember watching SG1 and picking up on small references towards what's going on in Atlantis. It was nice. They were not important to the story, but it made things more enjoyable. I hate when spin offs or other series make no mention or try and include the original series. Neither of them ever really connect aside from a couple of cross over episodes every few years or something.

I also liked in the episode where Dr. Weir is found in stasis that we learn who created the Puddle Jumper/Time Machine thing we saw in an SG1 episode with Maybourne as King. It's also nice to know that because of Dr. Weir going back in time and helping that Lantean/Ancient person he continued with his Time Travel experiments in the Milky Way Galaxy which gave SG1 the ability to go back in time before the rebellion on Earth to get a ZPM. Or something. I just loved how they interconnected those episodes were. Which I suppose is also the ZPM that the Daedalus(sp?) delivers to Atlantis. Full circle.

Oh and the reason I decided to write this small review thing so far. I got a lot to say just like SG1.

Hermies... Good to see an Asgard make an appearance in Atlantis. Especially considering it's the first time I can remember one of them cursing under his breath in their own language. It was a really nice thing to see. Very Happy

Last edited by Unit7 on Tue May 10, 2011 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Stargate Atlantis... Empty Stargate Atlantis...

Post by Unit7 Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 am

Could have sworn I had already started a Review thread for this. Just starting Season 2 and am really enjoying it.

Oh well I'll just have to rewrite what I have already written. But later.

The Asgard, Hermes, on the Daedalus is awesome. He is by far my second favorite Asgard to appear in the entire series. Thor ranks number one because... well he is Thor. He kicks serious ass against the Goa'uld and.. well yeah.. Loki is third and that scientist SG1 rescues is fourth... well everyone that comes after Thor is pretty much tied.

But yeah Hermes seems to be the Rodney's Asgard Counterpart in some ways... sorta. Please tell me we get to see more of him.

Also thought it was hillarious that he seemed to be ranting under his breath in his native language after WhatsHerFace gives him 5 seconds to beam the nuke from their ship to a wraiths. In general he is just awesome.

Will write something more about Atlantis soon. Just thought I open up with one of my favorite alien races. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Stargate Atlantis... Empty Re: Stargate Atlantis...

Post by Unit7 Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 am

I am almost done with Stargate Atlantis and I was really enjoying it. That is until our good friends the Replicator's came back. Sorta. Different type, similar idea.

Now in SG1 the replicator's were awesome. For who knows how long they had the Asgardians in a constant war that seemed to never end. They started off as these robotic spiders and we learned they were merely a childs toy to begin with. Then SG1 and Thor help trap them in a time dilation area and they evolved. They were now humanoids.

This fight I really enjoyed watching.

Then they introduce a similar concept into SGA. Now this would have been a great little two parter type of thing. We learn how the Replicator's first came into existance, and I suppose we could figure that at some point the Milky Way Galaxy was derived from this.

That or it's like the Cybermen from Doctor Who. Doesn't matter exactly when and where. Whether or not in this universe or some other universe or what planet. Humans eventually seem to create them. Different styles but more or less the same.

But now that it became this story arc I got to admit I am a bit annoyed by them. Really really annoyed.

Wraith? lol what the hell is a wraith?? o.O

Now I enjoy this franchise alot. Lots of action, some drama, some badass characters,(Teal'c, Ronan, Teyla, Rodney, Thor, and well plenty of others) and interesting villians.

But what I have noticed is that so far none of the series seems to really keep focus on the big bads. They start off with a strong presence and then they seem to just vanish. Goa'uld were at the focus and then halfway through that arc you only saw them at the beginging and end of any given season. Sure you saw some signs but you forget exactly... why are they so horrible?

Samething happened with The Ori. They started off strong and gave a new reason to fear for the future of Earth. But halfway through the seasons they just vanished. Oh sure you heard the mentions of how the Ori were you know doing bad stuff. But you never saw it. Which is why the Ark of Truth, while i enjoyed the movie, sucked because I wanted to see the Ori give me a reason to fear them. That and introducing the Replicators again. Should have either been it's own movie or it's own episode.

Now same thing happened with the Blue Berry Aliens... Though I suppose we never really learned anything about them. Well I haven't seen the last couple episodes or so. But yeah.

This has once again happened with the Wraith.

Now I understand that the majority are not supposed to be aware of Atlantis still being around. But that's where Michael came in. It introduced a storyline that filled in the gap between the Wraith unaware that Atlantis wasn't destroyed. Hell he had an awesome army. Why not have used that instead of the Replicator story arc?

At the very least. Couldn't we have seen the destruction the Replicator's were causing? I mean over a hundred thousand lives were lost... and all we really got to see was one replicator kick a frew wraith's ass.

OVerall it seems that the Stargate franchise just can't seem to stay focused on badguys.

That and watching Ark of Truth I realized we never really did get any scenic shots. All of these worlds we visit and they all just look like Canada. What up with that?

But seriously.

I really wished they had focused more on the Wraith and Michael.

Actually I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the Genii.

Three potentially great story archs to choose from. You could do a whole lot with the Genii alone. The Pegasus's last great hope. Where people from all around the galaxy flock to seek protection. In turn, the Genii create a dictatorship and cruel society, where the citizens are under the impression that these strict and harsh treatments are simply for their own protection.

That would be fun to watch. Throw in a few Wraith Darts, a Hive ship or two, some badassery from Ronan(that guy is a beast... hmm if Teal'c and Ronan got into a fight who'd win? o.O )

Michael also presents a great storyline. Instead of the Replicator's warring against the Wraith it would be Michael. Everyone enjoys that badguy who felt betrayed by everyone and just wants to destroy both sides to rule over the Galaxy. Well I do. Especially when they got a badass army like his.

Then of course there is just the Wraith. Now I can see how that might get a bit bored. But if you were to toss all three plots in, throw in a few love triangles, a pregnancy, you'd have plenty of fun stuff to give the audience...

Instead they just keep coming back to the damn replicator's. At first I thought 'OH how cool this should be interesting to see!' but I thought it be a one episode, two episode type of deal.

*sigh*

Ok rant done.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed May 11, 2011 12:52 am

Know what you mean about Rodney. I am impressed at the way they manged to develop him

Ditto for the connection between the show. I liked how it's subtle and yet still visible. Present without influencing the show too much(although I couldn't help but ask myself many time why they don't use Zats)

Did you watch the episode with engergy source that is supposed to be better then a ZPM and what happens when Rodney starts tinkeing with it? Lol

I also really liked how they introduced the Ancients. For once they don't fall for Sam Laughing

And lol yeah. I loved that little gray bastard. So fun to see an Asgardian who is not so in control and dignified. I wonder what he did to get stuck on a human ship Smile I think we get to see more of him until Atlantis catches up to regular SG1 finale

Yeah I also wasn't impressed with the Replicators on SGA however I gues that's what happens when they are influenced by the Ancients instead of evolving by themselves. Seriously for all their technology the Ancients seemed like such wimps

Well don't worry Michael shows they are still a threat. I am not sure how far you are into the series so I don't want to spoil you. At which episode are you?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 am

Rex wrote:Know what you mean about Rodney. I am impressed at the way they manged to develop him

He is easily one of my favorite characters ever. I just started season 5 and it was amazing that he would go to such great lengths to try and save John and Dr. Kellar and well I guess everyone else. He might be the first to run from a battle or complain about a splinter, but he's always right there when you need him.

Ditto for the connection between the show. I liked how it's subtle and yet still visible. Present without influencing the show too much(although I couldn't help but ask myself many time why they don't use Zats)

That's actually a really great question. Zats have sorta become a standard issued weapon by SGC. I mean I know they have the wraith stunners, but the lack of zats does seem a bit off.

But the connections are great and always nice to see friendly faces pop in and out every so often. Such as Teal'c fighting Ronan. I just loved how they put the two strongest characters from the franchise and had them duke it out. But it's also just cool to see how and why some things happened in SG1 as a result of what is seen in SGA. Whether it's just their actions or just a brief mention of something.

Did you watch the episode with engergy source that is supposed to be better then a ZPM and what happens when Rodney starts tinkeing with it? Lol

Oh Rodney, he just can't help but blow up planets and solar systems. Laughing
I also love how that episode is mentioned later on in the series, similar to how Sam blowing up a star was. Of course he also just so happens to blow up another planet.

I also really liked how they introduced the Ancients. For once they don't fall for Sam Laughing

SGA really does give a new perspective on the Ancients. They really should have done a bit of cleanup work in the Pegasus Galaxy and a few other places.

Though I suppose us humans are not exactly perfect when it comes to cleaning stuff up. I'm sure there are a whole bunch of stuff laying around earth.

And lol yeah. I loved that little gray bastard. So fun to see an Asgardian who is not so in control and dignified. I wonder what he did to get stuck on a human ship Smile I think we get to see more of him until Atlantis catches up to regular SG1 finale

Exactly! What they need to do is give a spinoff series about Hermes and how he got stuck on the human ship. Razz

Yeah I also wasn't impressed with the Replicators on SGA however I gues that's what happens when they are influenced by the Ancients instead of evolving by themselves. Seriously for all their technology the Ancients seemed like such wimps

It's actually kind of sad that the Ancients didn't bother to atleast do something about the Wraith when they ascended. But instead they actually punish one of their own for trying to make a difference. In the end the Ancients at Atlantis simply abandoned the Pegasus Galaxy leaving generations to be culled. They are also indirectly responsible for their creation aswell. Though it's not like anyone could have seen that a bug might evolve like that. Then again I suppose it's no real surprise that they left and did nothing about them afterwards. They pretty much left the Ori alone and did little to help SG1 when it became obvious the Ori were going to launch an attack on them.

Though of course then there are the replicators. I suppose in a way this is all reflecting on the idea of not taking responsibility. I believe, now I am unsure as I have yet to read the book, that this was a theme in the book Frankenstein. That the scientist didn't want to take responsibility for what he had done. That's what my teacher once said on the subject.

But over all I just sorta wished they had left or made the Replicator arc much much smaller. Would have preffered if they had focused on the wraith, genii, or Michael more.

Well don't worry Michael shows they are still a threat. I am not sure how far you are into the series so I don't want to spoil you. At which episode are you?

I finished the episode where Woolsey is given command of SG1 and the whole Dr. Kellar having those tentacles or whatever coming from her.

Michael definitly showed he was a genuine threat. Though did I see something wrong? It sorta looked like Michael was a planet away or so from launching an attack on Earth. It did the whole zoom out of something and then the camera turned and zoomed into what looked like our Galaxy and well earth. Or was I completely wrong about that? o.O

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri May 13, 2011 3:36 am

Wait that Asgard on the Daedalus was actually named Hermiod... I thought it was Hermes. o.O

Just got to the episode where we see the Asgard who live in the Pegasus Galaxy. Gotta say I did not see that coming at all. I was actually thinking they were going to be those Aliens we saw when the team gets stranded on an alternate realities Daedalus and were jumping through realities and such.

Though now that I think about it does seem obvious. Daniel pointed out a couple of times about their armor and such. I mean I suppose it could have been a completely different type of alien but... yeah it makes sense in the end. That and who else could have such awesome technology other then the ancients? The Furlings? Pfft as if...

No seriously why has there never been anything on the Furlings.

Also I am rather sad that I just realized the Nox were never really seen from again aside from that episode where the Taluns(sp?) decided to have that trial over who should keep Skaara's body. Sad Well maybe there was another appearance but. Not many. Sad
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I am nearing the end of SGA and I have to say I am actually surprised that I ended up liking Mr. Woolsey. So much so that I was a bit happy to hear his name mentioned in Universe.

When we first met him on SG1 I wasn't too fond of his character. But then this is probably because the IOA was, and I guess still, put in the light of the bad guy. He was also strongly against SG1 and thought they needed to be replaced. But he only did what he thought was right. He seems to be a man who wants to desperately believe the world is Black and White. The rules need to matter to him.

When it was foreshadowed in the season 4 finale that Woolsey might be the new leader of the Atlantis expidition and what I saw him doing seemed to be like a bad idea. I half expected him to only last for a few episodes before deciding it wasn't in him to lead Atlantis.

But I am pleasantly surprised. He turned out to be a rather good character and I am glad that they gave his character more within the Stargate franchise. While he might not be the best of leaders he isn't incompetant. Of course he is no where as awesome as Weir or Samantha Carter, but he does a good job.

He was definitely not a character I thought I would rank up there with my favorites. But he definitely did.

Of course he did have a hillarious scene in SG1 where Vala accused him of making sexual advances and suggesting things that not even Vala would do. Which now, with this new liking to him, makes the scene even better.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 am

Just got to the episode where we see the Asgard who live in the Pegasus Galaxy. Gotta say I did not see that coming at all. I was actually thinking they were going to be those Aliens we saw when the team gets stranded on an alternate realities Daedalus and were jumping through realities and such.
Haha I knew you would be surprised. So was it. A very pleasant surprised. But it makes sense. As we have seen Asgard ships can travel between Galaxies literally in minutes. Who knows how many disgruntled Asgard there might be in the universe. And I doubt that rascal Loki went with the suicide plan. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the consciounesses (?) of the Asgard are stored safe somewhere. As we saw with Thor they can exist solely in a digital form(always wondered why they didn't build themselves robot bodies)

Yeah. I really hope that the next Stargate(and there 's got be one right? I mean Stargate is essentially the Star Trek of our generation. I doubt they would let it die) features the four great races again. I would love to see the Asgard making a comeback and finally meeting the furlings. And I miss the Tollans as well. I hope they were not all destroyed. Speaking of here is the story I have been meaning to show you http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-16092/Hotpoint+XSGCOM+Goa+uld+Defence.htm At first I was like WTF is this but then I really began to enjoy it. It has all these crazy details and possibilities that you always wondered about and it's done perfectly. And it's really funny to see how crazy humans can get Very Happy
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Rex wrote:
Haha I knew you would be surprised. So was it. A very pleasant surprised. But it makes sense. As we have seen Asgard ships can travel between Galaxies literally in minutes. Who knows how many disgruntled Asgard there might be in the universe. And I doubt that rascal Loki went with the suicide plan. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the consciounesses (?) of the Asgard are stored safe somewhere. As we saw with Thor they can exist solely in a digital form(always wondered why they didn't build themselves robot bodies)

It's definitely good to see the Asgard still in some form. And your right thinking back it only makes sense. The Ancients seemed to follow a similar path in that they branched off. Some had ascended, some moved to the Pegasus Galaxy and some seemed to have spread across our galaxy. That and Loki definitely doesn't seem the type to go with their plan. I wonder where he is. If there is a new stargate series I hope he makes a return.

Yeah. I really hope that the next Stargate(and there 's got be one right? I mean Stargate is essentially the Star Trek of our generation. I doubt they would let it die) features the four great races again. I would love to see the Asgard making a comeback and finally meeting the furlings. And I miss the Tollans as well. I hope they were not all destroyed. Speaking of here is the story I have been meaning to show you http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-16092/Hotpoint+XSGCOM+Goa+uld+Defence.htm At first I was like WTF is this but then I really began to enjoy it. It has all these crazy details and possibilities that you always wondered about and it's done perfectly. And it's really funny to see how crazy humans can get Very Happy

I have doubts that we will get one soon. Seems like after they cancelled Stargate Universe they also cancelled the planned Atlantis movie. But it would be such a shame to see the Stargate franchise die. I mean there are so many different possibilities for them. New enemies to fight, reapparances of old friends. Hell the use of alternate realities are endless. I loved the episode where John was a detective in Las Vegas hunting down the wraith.

Maybe have a series with an alternate reality where earth was attacked and taken over. Hell even in main reality there are still thousands of planets left unexplored.

Would be sad to see so much potential go to waste.

I will definitely have to read that soon. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Fri May 20, 2011 7:01 am

I think it might depend on how well BSG: Blood and Chrome does. They failed with Caprica but this looks like it has potential. With a hit in these they may decide to give their other popular franchise another shot

Absolutely. The Furlings alone can make for 2-3 seasons. And who knows they might go original and move away from an Earth centric series. I would love to see a Stargate series from the point of view of a Goa'Uld. This can be incredibly interesting especially considering their place in the universe right now
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Rex wrote:I think it might depend on how well BSG: Blood and Chrome does. They failed with Caprica but this looks like it has potential. With a hit in these they may decide to give their other popular franchise another shot

Oh I almost forgot about Blood and Chrome. I really hope that is a success and helps bring Stargate back.

Absolutely. The Furlings alone can make for 2-3 seasons. And who knows they might go original and move away from an Earth centric series. I would love to see a Stargate series from the point of view of a Goa'Uld. This can be incredibly interesting especially considering their place in the universe right now

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a series based off the Lucian Alliance. But your right Furlings could easily take up a few seasons and seeing a series fromt he Goa'uld perspective would be interesting aswell.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 pm

It seems to be shaping really good. I think the big problem with Caprica was an incredibly weak lead actress(ok maybe I am biased but I really really didn't like her) and a lack of a well structured plot. Blood and Chrome on the other hand seems like it will hit the bullseye(weird phrase)

Oh yes. Lucian are also interesting. How about this. Ba'al trying to create a new empire but ends up broke on a Lucian alliance controlled world while trying to look for the location of the Furlings tongue
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 am

Rex wrote:It seems to be shaping really good. I think the big problem with Caprica was an incredibly weak lead actress(ok maybe I am biased but I really really didn't like her) and a lack of a well structured plot. Blood and Chrome on the other hand seems like it will hit the bullseye(weird phrase)

I didn't think she was to bad. But it definitely lacked a clear plot at times. Though overall I did enjoy the series. Hopefuly Blood and Chrome will hit the bullseye...

You know you are right. It is a weird phrase. I mean why a bulls eye? I bet some guy with some bow had made some amazing shot that hit a bull right in the eye and... well only way it seems to make sense. lol

Oh yes. Lucian are also interesting. How about this. Ba'al trying to create a new empire but ends up broke on a Lucian alliance controlled world while trying to look for the location of the Furlings tongue

Yes that would combine all three perfectly... I think. Well I'd give it a chance
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah you are probably right but there was just something I found really annoying about her. They really should have given the lead role to the other girl who used to play in Kyle Xy. She stole ever scene in Caprica

Hmmm too bad Discoery doesn't have the mythbusters equivalent of weird phrases

And let's add a little Loki to the Ba'al, Lucian/Furlign story Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Rex wrote:Yeah you are probably right but there was just something I found really annoying about her. They really should have given the lead role to the other girl who used to play in Kyle Xy. She stole ever scene in Caprica

I definitely would have enjoyed seeing more of her. Though I don't think I would want to give up seeing her at the end of the series and pretty much takes over the Church and shows Clarice what's what. Razz

Hmmm too bad Discoery doesn't have the mythbusters equivalent of weird phrases

I'd love to see a show like that. Though not sure how it all work out or survive long. I mean Mythbusters just needs to blow up something to ensure it's ratings.

And let's add a little Loki to the Ba'al, Lucian/Furlign story Smile

Can't believe I forgot about him! Yes the series would need some Loki. Perhaps as some sort of Sidekick or maybe Ba'al would be the sidekick or... hmm either way Loki would need to be a part of it.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 am

Really? I still haven't watched the end of the show. I have this really weird where when I am pissed that somebody is canceling a show I don't watch the last two episodes. I haven't watched the ending of Dollhouse either. I am kinda weird

Hmm how about this. You take three different professors and rig their office with explosives. The public votes on the best explanation. The one who gives has his office spared the other two are blown up

While we are at it we can include the Jack clone and Cassie as well. Somebody's gotta represent earth Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 am

Rex wrote:Really? I still haven't watched the end of the show. I have this really weird where when I am pissed that somebody is canceling a show I don't watch the last two episodes. I haven't watched the ending of Dollhouse either. I am kinda weird

Well you should. It's a pretty kickass ending overall. But I can understand that. If it's a good show it's sorta hard to see the end of it. Sad

Hmm how about this. You take three different professors and rig their office with explosives. The public votes on the best explanation. The one who gives has his office spared the other two are blown up

Would be tough trying to find people to do that. I mean I suppose you could trick the first round but... well good luck trying to go for a second episode.

While we are at it we can include the Jack clone and Cassie as well. Somebody's gotta represent earth Smile

You know speaking of the Jack Clone, and I probably talked about it in the SG1 thread, but I still find it annoying that we never say the Clone again. I mean if Jack could do it all over again, what would he end up being?

Also... who is Cassie? Wait she the girl Carter found during her lecture at that school place and later helped new recruits with the whole alien takeover of SG command? Or was that someone else.

Anyways they should definitely fit in somewhere. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down