Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South of Nowhere

3 posters

Go down

South of Nowhere Empty South of Nowhere

Post by Unit7 Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:50 am

I remember watching this show on and off. Mostly because I was bored and nothing else was on. But I never actually sat down and watched the show from start to finish. I think.

The series follows Spencer Carlin and her family after they move from Ohio to Los Angeles. The series mostly focused on Spencer who at first tries to figure out whether or not she is gay and later trying to get her family to accept her and her girlfriend Ashley. All the while dealing with high school.

Wow that's got to be my worst summery yet. cheers

What I really liked about this show is that it seemed to be one of the first teen shows that heavily focused on homosexuality as a main theme throughout the show. It also bothered me to learn that some conservatives were already attacking the show before it even aired.

But right from the start of the series there is a rather heated discussion amongst the Carlin family about homosexuality, though it was mostly between the mom and dad.. The Mother was closed minded about the subject, while the Dad was far more open minded. But it set a great tone for the show and a great bit of forshadowing.

While sexual orientation was at the heart of the show, other themes that mark the High School was present. Such as drugs, sex, racial inequality, and well all that fun stuff.

While I loved the relationship between Spencer and Ashley and their own storylines aswell as the one they shared. It did become a bit more teen soap opera then I'd care for. But I suppose it seemed to be aimed for younger teens, especially girls. But I'm a guy and the two main actresses were fairly hot.. especially. Yeah.

I also loved how it didn't bend the knee towards stereotypes. Which is great because that would seem oddly counterproductive.

You know I really don't have all that much to say about the series. I suppose I could go into painstaking detail on just about anything. Though I sorta wished it wasn't 22 minutes long.

Mostly because 1) it makes for a quick watch and 2) some of the storylines seem to wrap up a bit too nicely.

Take the episode where MTV or VH1(Oh yeah. I also really didn't like that Ashley was the daughter of some big rockstar. Especially in season 3 it was a bit more annoying then anything else) did a special on Ashley's father or something. I dunno. Anyways one of the camera men caught Spencer and Ashley kissing, and since Spencer hadn't come out of the closet it was a big deal.

But in the end, even with some legal talk, the camera guy just hands over the video without saying 'it didn't make the cut' or something like that. Though I loved how Clay stepped up... it just sorta begged for a 40 minute type of episode.

That or you know a better resolution then that.

For most of the series I really hated the mother aswell. But I got to say Spencer had a great Dad who was almost always there to defend his daughter. But the Mother was just horrible towards the begining. Well atleast when she found out. Even going as far as calling some doctor to 'cure' her daughter. It's rather sickening that such people exist.

But in the end the Mother grew as a character and wasn't so bad. Hell she even tells the Grandmother that Spencer is Gay before a big argument would start and proudly defend her daughter. Big redemption moment there.

Anyways.

Overall South of Nowhere is really a great series. Well you know as long as you have a decent tolerance for soap opera like shows. That or find something worth investing your time in the series.

I think.

Well I enjoyed it. Very Happy

Also loved how it ended. Because I just love it when my preferred pairings end up together when it's cancelled(Totally not the same to shipping... because yeah. It's not. Sad )
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

South of Nowhere Empty Re: South of Nowhere

Post by Rex Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am

Yay it's on my torrent. I downloaded the first three episodes. Will check them out them and be back to you
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Rex wrote:Yay it's on my torrent. I downloaded the first three episodes. Will check them out them and be back to you

Cool. Smile

I think you might enjoy it. Though some of the more soap operaish moments do get a bit annoying. But worth giving a shot.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:26 am

I am not halfway thorugh season4 and so far I am enjoying this show. It's quite fun. And it's kinda hilarious that Spencer without even trying attracts far hotter chicks then both of her brothers combined.

And I don't mind the soap opera moments too much. I actually used to watch soap opera back in the day so I have built quite a tolerance for soapines
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Ok so I finished the lockdown episode and I have to say I am quite pleased with how things are going. Especially the characters with Spencer and Ashley being the most impressive ones. I love the fact that Spencer is not some innocent lamb that has no self awareness whatsoever and everything comes as a constant huge shock to her the way so many series like to do it. I like the fact that she is not some perfect Marye Sue but a normal girl with her flaws and issues

As for Ashley wow that 's really impressive. I mean it's obvious that she is messed but at the same time she has this aura of someone who really has their shit together. I was really impressed by how well she handled the gay speech at the pier
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Rex wrote:Ok so I finished the lockdown episode and I have to say I am quite pleased with how things are going. Especially the characters with Spencer and Ashley being the most impressive ones. I love the fact that Spencer is not some innocent lamb that has no self awareness whatsoever and everything comes as a constant huge shock to her the way so many series like to do it. I like the fact that she is not some perfect Marye Sue but a normal girl with her flaws and issues

As for Ashley wow that 's really impressive. I mean it's obvious that she is messed but at the same time she has this aura of someone who really has their shit together. I was really impressed by how well she handled the gay speech at the pier

Glad to hear you are enjoying the series. Wasn't entirely sure that you would. Btw a couple days ago I started Arrested Development. Pure genius.

I think the Lockdown episode was probably one of my favorites throughout the entire series. It's the first time Spencer admit's she is attracted to girls and how Ashley was trying, and sorta failing, to help Spencer were some great moments.

But also back at the school you learn a bit more about those characters aswell. I once had a story idea where a group of friends that had grown apart would get locked in a room together during a lockdown. So it was kinda cool seeing that concept on screen.

The way they handled Spencer was really great. She also isn't placed into any sort of stereotype. She wasn't perfect. She was just a normal girl and trying to be herself.

As for Ashley I agree. She is messed up and hasn't had the best of support back home. But I love how she is confident with herself and who she is.

Pretty much I agree with everything you just said. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm

YEAHHH! Oh yeah. I was this close to telling you that you made a huge mistake if you didn't get on with it soon Smile Man we will have a lot to talk about Smile

Now I am almost finished with the first season and I have to say I love the mother. Ok no I think she is a bitch but I love that they made her a doctor. TV has this habit of making the unpleasant hating characters usually some uneducated bums but in the real world quite a few educated and intelligent people are also bigoted. It's good to see someone adressing this

Wait lockdowns are real? Wow whenever we called in a bomb threat or stuff like this they just gave us a free day at school.

Absolutely. It's great to see and I can't believe I am saying this but kinda realistic characters. Yeah I know they are not really reallistic but still pretty damn close for TV. They actually feel like real people well except Madison(?) of course
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Rex wrote:YEAHHH! Oh yeah. I was this close to telling you that you made a huge mistake if you didn't get on with it soon Smile Man we will have a lot to talk about Smile

Yeah I completely regret not seeing it sooner. Some of my favorite comedies have to come from really dysfunctional families. Arrested Development easily fits into that and then some. lol

Now I am almost finished with the first season and I have to say I love the mother. Ok no I think she is a bitch but I love that they made her a doctor. TV has this habit of making the unpleasant hating characters usually some uneducated bums but in the real world quite a few educated and intelligent people are also bigoted. It's good to see someone adressing this

Yeah I loved the mother. For most of the series she was a real bitch and I hated her. Well I loved hating her. Well. she made for an excellent character. I was also happy that she was a highly trained doctor. It shows that it's not only the uneducated that are bigots, but even people like Doctors can be and are.

Wait lockdowns are real? Wow whenever we called in a bomb threat or stuff like this they just gave us a free day at school.

Yeah Lockdowns are real. Of course at my schools we were told not to be in the view of the door's windows. When a lockdown happens students are to go to the closest classroom. The teacher then locks the door and you are to stay out of view of the door. It's to keep the students as safe as possible.

As for bomb scares. Well I had only gone through one(turned out a friend of mine was being an idiot. Never learned why he did it either) we were all evacuated to the football field(I remember one kid saying 'thank god for terrorist.' apparently study hall was boring as hell... which I guess it was) and then we stood out their for awhile and then slowly were let into one of the Gyms while the rest of the building was searched.) Only time I remember having a bomb threat at my school. Well there was another one either the same year or the year before where it was at the high school and they high schoolers walked to the middle school or something.

Probably should have just let us go home. =/

Absolutely. It's great to see and I can't believe I am saying this but kinda realistic characters. Yeah I know they are not really reallistic but still pretty damn close for TV. They actually feel like real people well except Madison(?) of course

What you don't think people like Madison exist? Using religion to justify herself? That and breaking up with someone just because someone can no longer play basketball?(or wait... was that in season 1 or season 2? o.O)

But I love how realistic they tried to make the characters. Almost feels like you could bump right into some of them.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

I will respond more in detail later but I just gotta say...what the hell is wrong with Spencer's mom? Her sons is arrested because he made a deal with a drug dealer to support his drug habbit and he gets a hug like a baby. But as soon as she sees her daughter she freaks out like a banshee and nearly assaults her girlfriend. This is beyond messed up. I mean seriously. Was she raped by a gang of wild lesbians or something? Cause this reaction is insane considering how she treated her son
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Rex wrote:I will respond more in detail later but I just gotta say...what the hell is wrong with Spencer's mom? Her sons is arrested because he made a deal with a drug dealer to support his drug habbit and he gets a hug like a baby. But as soon as she sees her daughter she freaks out like a banshee and nearly assaults her girlfriend. This is beyond messed up. I mean seriously. Was she raped by a gang of wild lesbians or something? Cause this reaction is insane considering how she treated her son

What Glen did was normal teenage shenanigans. That's all.

What Spencer was doing was making out with another girl with their shirts off.

To the mother what Spencer was doing was not normal, not even remotely. She would expect Glen to do something stupid. But she never expected what Spencer was doing. Because to her, it's not normal or right or anything.

That's why she flipped out.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Ok so I have been on a marathon/long wait for a download(it's such a pain to find good torrents for this show) and I have to say I love it more and more. Ashley and Spence have become pretty much one of my favorite couples of all time. I don't think I have been this excited about characters since Cassie from Skins. Man how awesome would it be to see Cassie and Ashley? Ok I am rambling. Anyway now I am knee deep in season 3 will be back soon
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Rex wrote:Ok so I have been on a marathon/long wait for a download(it's such a pain to find good torrents for this show) and I have to say I love it more and more. Ashley and Spence have become pretty much one of my favorite couples of all time. I don't think I have been this excited about characters since Cassie from Skins. Man how awesome would it be to see Cassie and Ashley? Ok I am rambling. Anyway now I am knee deep in season 3 will be back soon

Streaming ftw?

Then again that's also a pain in the ass sometimes.

I agree. There are few couples that I enjoyed more then Ashley and Spencer. They are great together and really make this show amazing.

You know I really can't see Cassie and Ashley together. But then I guess I'll always be a Cassie/Sid shipper. Razz

you know I almost didn't put up a review thing for South of Nowhere. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 am

Do they still make that show?? I watched it
Courtnut
Courtnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 am

Courtnut wrote:Do they still make that show?? I watched it

No it was cancelled after the third season
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:08 am

First a warning. There will be spoilers.

Now I feel I need to defend this show a bit. I would argue that it's not a soap opera. Oh it looks like one mainly due to slightly low production values feel and that horrible piano they used at the begining in dramatic moments. Seriously what were they thinking but apart from this the show both in acting and in plot is up to par and even better then quite a few mainstream shows. Especially CSI. Because fuck CSI

Ok so let's start with season 1. I gotta say I loved the introduction. Usually they make highschools in shows on TV kinda stupid looking. Almost like a zoo with a hundred well defined cliques and some ridiculous social structure. But no here. This felt normal. A few friends hung out in groups but that was it

Next come the characters. Except for Madison at the beginning they are all great and very well developed. Glenn was an ass but you could easily see where they came from, Clay was awesome. I expected that they would mishandle the story line of an adopted black kid but on the contrary they did it extremely well and it felt very natural.

Aiden was awesome. You just expected him to be some stereotypical jock but from the first moment you saw him but he really is a great guy

Sean was awesome. At first I thought they were going to try to put either the cliched gangster storyline or the even more cliched intelligent gangster storyline so it was so refreshing to see them making a well balnced smart boy who has a passion for movies

and of course there is Ashley and Spencer. Wow. You know so far I thought that Piper Perabo(are you watching Covert Affairs by the way?) had the most adorable smile but she has real competition in these two. Seriously it's like a sunrise. I have rarely seen cuter girls. You can't help but love them

Spencer was a great surprsie. Again instead of fitting in the normal innocent maiden stereotype she is a bit naive in that lovable way but still her own person and a strong girl

As for Ashley I love Ashley. On paper she should be a really screwed up teen with a completely messed up life but wow what a presence. The actress played her brilliantly. You could really see how she combined the strong girl who tried not to give a crap about what the others think of her and just be herself and a really lonely girl is is really craving friendship and love

Ok these are just my first impressions. Or well the first impression I got the first time I watched it. This will continue with the key moments of seas 1 ,2 and 3 Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:42 am

Rex wrote:First a warning. There will be spoilers.

Now I feel I need to defend this show a bit. I would argue that it's not a soap opera. Oh it looks like one mainly due to slightly low production values feel and that horrible piano they used at the begining in dramatic moments. Seriously what were they thinking but apart from this the show both in acting and in plot is up to par and even better then quite a few mainstream shows. Especially CSI. Because fuck CSI

You know what. I agree. Especially about CSI. lol

Ok so let's start with season 1. I gotta say I loved the introduction. Usually they make highschools in shows on TV kinda stupid looking. Almost like a zoo with a hundred well defined cliques and some ridiculous social structure. But no here. This felt normal. A few friends hung out in groups but that was it

High School cliques in fiction always bugged me. But that's because my high school was really no where near like that. I mean friends just hung out with each other. That high school was very much like mine... except for the outside lockers and the violence more hinted at in the lockdown episode. There really weren't really any popular kids like you see on TV shows.

Next come the characters. Except for Madison at the beginning they are all great and very well developed. Glenn was an ass but you could easily see where they came from, Clay was awesome. I expected that they would mishandle the story line of an adopted black kid but on the contrary they did it extremely well and it felt very natural.

Glen really was an ass for much of the series, atleast towards Spencer. Clay was a great character and they did a fantastic job with his storylines.

Aiden was awesome. You just expected him to be some stereotypical jock but from the first moment you saw him but he really is a great guy

You know I think it's because I fell in love with the idea of Ashley and Spencer beiing together that I sorta hated him at the begining. But as far as Jocks go these were more or less the kind of 'jocks' you'd see at my high school.

Sean was awesome. At first I thought they were going to try to put either the cliched gangster storyline or the even more cliched intelligent gangster storyline so it was so refreshing to see them making a well balnced smart boy who has a passion for movies

Cliched as it might have been such a storyline(though preferably not with Sean) would fit. Was actually surprised that it wasn't included at all. Well there was whatsherface with that tattoo(btw I loved that Spencer got out of any relationship with her the minute things turned ugly.) but that was more or less it.

As for Sean, he was awesome. He even teases Clay about the obvious expectations Clay and through him the audience. But he turns out to be a character who attends church with his grandmother and really loves movies. He was also seemed like the kind of guy you can go to if you need advice on something. While it wasn't hinted at or anything but when it was revealed he had a thing for Chelsea when Clay was with her and backed off respecfully was also a great moment for him. Though it is also good to know that he is willing to fight for someone he cares about. Because most shows probably would have gone for the love triangle in that situation for the drama. When it did happen it was brief and not dragged out at all.

and of course there is Ashley and Spencer. Wow. You know so far I thought that Piper Perabo(are you watching Covert Affairs by the way?) had the most adorable smile but she has real competition in these two. Seriously it's like a sunrise. I have rarely seen cuter girls. You can't help but love them

When you first wrote this I hadn't watched Covert Affairs. But I had it on my favorites bar. But I got caught up in watching The Wire and then Rome and hadn't gotten to it. But after reading this and then watching it I completely agree. Piper Perabo has an amazing smile oh and she is an amazing actress. You know I don't think I have ever really paid attention to how someone smiles unless it's some relevance to the plot or something. But thinking back they also had wonderful smiles.

Spencer was a great surprsie. Again instead of fitting in the normal innocent maiden stereotype she is a bit naive in that lovable way but still her own person and a strong girl

Well she definitely wasn't a maiden...

But that reminds me of Ashley's video of the characters recounting their first times. The end of Spencer's for some reason always stood out amongst all the great moments in the series. I think it had to do with that it was foreshadowing... wait was that before or after she came out on the beach? Well it definitely foreshadowed the idea of Spencer having her 'first' with Ashley... or maybe not.

As for Ashley I love Ashley. On paper she should be a really screwed up teen with a completely messed up life but wow what a presence. The actress played her brilliantly. You could really see how she combined the strong girl who tried not to give a crap about what the others think of her and just be herself and a really lonely girl is is really craving friendship and love

Agreed. Another thing that surprised me was how understanding she ended up being. I remember being rather shocked during the Gay Pride episode how she thought Spencer was giving her mom a hard time. I mean if there was one character Ashley could hate it would probably be the Mom. That episode as a whole was great though. I am disapointed in that it didn't show Ashley and Spencer's Mom(I forget her name... like most people/characters names) enjoying the parade. It just sorta came off as they arrived and just so happen to find Spencer. Always bugged me.

[quote[Ok these are just my first impressions. Or well the first impression I got the first time I watched it. This will continue with the key moments of seas 1 ,2 and 3 Smile[/quote]

Looking forward ot the continuation. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 am

You know what. I agree. Especially about CSI. lol
I am telling you. If they make ONE just one more CSI I wil....I don't know kick a tree something. I mean dear god is the public really that ..that ahhh.

High School cliques in fiction always bugged me. But that's because my high school was really no where near like that. I mean friends just hung out with each other. That high school was very much like mine... except for the outside lockers and the violence more hinted at in the lockdown episode. There really weren't really any popular kids like you see on TV shows.
Yeah ditto. Although we weren't in a system like in the USA where from what I understand every student has his own schedule. We were all separated in classes of 25-30 people all of us with the same schedule through the entire high school. I guess in a school where everybody is on their own it would be easier to form cliques

Glen really was an ass for much of the series, atleast towards Spencer. Clay was a great character and they did a fantastic job with his storylines.
Agreed. I have to say I also found it hilarious how Glenn turned from the star to the loser and basically simply because he saw himself this way. Also I have to I also quite liked Clay that's why I was very surprised when I heard that the entire reason they killed him in the series was because the actor was a homophobe who couldn't stand how positive lesbians were presented in the show anymore. So weird

You know I think it's because I fell in love with the idea of Ashley and Spencer beiing together that I sorta hated him at the begining. But as far as Jocks go these were more or less the kind of 'jocks' you'd see at my high school.
I was kinda annoyed with him when was trying to actively get between Ashley and Spencer but before that I have to give him props. If Spener was trying to seduce I wouldn't have the strength to resist.

Cliched as it might have been such a storyline(though preferably not with Sean) would fit. Was actually surprised that it wasn't included at all. Well there was whatsherface with that tattoo(btw I loved that Spencer got out of any relationship with her the minute things turned ugly.) but that was more or less it.
Well they did try albeit with his cousin(Boss or something) when it came to the shooting storyline. Great to see that in the end Boss learned his lesson from this though

And yeah wow so good to see a girl with a good head on her shoulders. I was so pleasantly surprised that they didn't go for a cliched like Ashley saving Spencer from an abusive relationship

As for Sean, he was awesome. He even teases Clay about the obvious expectations Clay and through him the audience. But he turns out to be a character who attends church with his grandmother and really loves movies. He was also seemed like the kind of guy you can go to if you need advice on something. While it wasn't hinted at or anything but when it was revealed he had a thing for Chelsea when Clay was with her and backed off respecfully was also a great moment for him. Though it is also good to know that he is willing to fight for someone he cares about. Because most shows probably would have gone for the love triangle in that situation for the drama. When it did happen it was brief and not dragged out at all.

Absolutely. Another hit against the cliches. Seriously I can't believe the show didn't go on for longer. It's so much better then 90% of the crap on tv. Hell I can't believe it's not more high profile

When you first wrote this I hadn't watched Covert Affairs. But I had it on my favorites bar. But I got caught up in watching The Wire and then Rome and hadn't gotten to it. But after reading this and then watching it I completely agree. Piper Perabo has an amazing smile oh and she is an amazing actress. You know I don't think I have ever really paid attention to how someone smiles unless it's some relevance to the plot or something. But thinking back they also had wonderful smiles.
Oh I am into smiles. There is just something about them. Check out Leloo as well. Wow

But yeah it's really cute show. Nothing special but really cute and this tuesday Jaimie Alexander(sexy dark haired girl from Kyle XY and Sif from the movie Thor) will be on it so don't miss it

If you are into Piper Perabo and lesbians check her out here. http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2713-Lost-and-Delirious

Well she definitely wasn't a maiden...

But that reminds me of Ashley's video of the characters recounting their first times. The end of Spencer's for some reason always stood out amongst all the great moments in the series. I think it had to do with that it was foreshadowing... wait was that before or after she came out on the beach? Well it definitely foreshadowed the idea of Spencer having her 'first' with Ashley... or maybe not.
It sure did. And it just felt really honest. I expected something almost a MTV level cheesiness but this turned out to be so great and such a great scene with Ashley and Spencer. Really touching

Agreed. Another thing that surprised me was how understanding she ended up being. I remember being rather shocked during the Gay Pride episode how she thought Spencer was giving her mom a hard time. I mean if there was one character Ashley could hate it would probably be the Mom. That episode as a whole was great though. I am disapointed in that it didn't show Ashley and Spencer's Mom(I forget her name... like most people/characters names) enjoying the parade. It just sorta came off as they arrived and just so happen to find Spencer. Always bugged me.
Absolutely. Granted by this time she had gone long ways towards redeeming herself especially after we saw her mother and where she came from but I spent a great part of season 1 and season 2 almost hating her. It was bad enough how she treated Ashley but the scene where I saw her kicking Arthur to the couch I was just wait whats a stronger word for hate? I loathteded her? Anyway I really couldn't stand her. I mean even afterwards I often thought "this bitch has got to go" so to Ashley the one who was treated like dirt for so many years by Paula actually being understanding and downright objective? Wow almost blew my mind(and wow she really flashed a pretty smile when she offered the whole mom for a day thing)

Yeah that would been fun to see but then again they only had 20 minutes an episode so I guess it's understandable

Lol I hope I get around to it Very Happy
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum