Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twin Peaks.

2 posters

Go down

Twin Peaks. Empty Twin Peaks.

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:41 am

When the body of Laura Palmer washes ashore naked and wrapped in plastic Federal Bureau of Investigations Special Agent Dale Cooper comes to a small town of Twin Peaks to investigate believing it's connected to another case he is working on. The following investigation uncovers the secret lives of the locals and Laura Palmer herself.

I have always heard good things about Twin Peaks. Well to behonest I don't remember hearing much about it. Now for some strange reason I am unsure as to whether I love it or hate it. I mean I quite literally feel divided on this. On one hand I love it for it's interesting characters and the crazy stuff that happens and the ton of moments that are just either insanely awesome or just make you got 'what the fuck?'

On the other hand I hate it because at times it felt so unfocused. It didn't seem to have any actual story and seemed to be a random collection of moments. Well it always had either the Laura Palmer Murder or Windom Earle... but it just sorta seemed like a collection of random stuff thrown together.

The thing that I guess I was upset about is the lack of attention to the Laura Palmer murder. From what I have read the mystery of who killed her was never meant to be solved. It was to focus on the characters of Dale Cooper and the citizens of Twin Peaks. But even so, it felt like a shame as to the lack of attention to it. The first season was great though and it had focus on the crime and it showed how Laura's friends tried to solve it. So you had three different investigations trying to solve it. 1 group being Dale Cooper and the Sheriffs department, another group comprised of her boyfriend and her best friend, and then Audrey who was more or less trying to impress Cooper.

or something like that.

But as the second season came along it just was pushed further and further into the background most of the time and the way the details of her life were just skipped over and never delving into it further felt more like a waste of potential.

So half the time while I was watching(or listening more often then not during the second season) I just didn't give a damn about the rest of characters. While I did find it mildly amusing that Nadine somehow got superhuman strength and thought she was a teenager again, it just quickly became a question as to 'Why?'

Also why was Leo even able to recover like that? I thought he was damn near brain dead. Although I was hoping that he would jump out of that chair I was hoping it would be different. Though I hadn't expected him to recover like that at all. Was more of a wishful thinking in hoping Bobby would get beaten to death or something.

Overall the fact that Laura's murder was pushed into the background like it was just sorta pissed me off. I also didn't really like how it was solved. While it was fun watching Leland appear insane and Bob being an evil bastard you just can't help but enjoy... it was just. Off somehow.

It felt like a huge waste of potential.

The Windom Earle storyline was great though. However it bugged the hell out of me that for the most part they still had Laura's picture during the end credits in the background. Seemed like a horrible jape towards anyone who actually felt dissatisfied with how they handled the whole thing.

Now it sounds like I really hated the show. I don't. I loved how they gave Cooper and Laura the same dream. Hell it probably wasn't a dream at all but rather some... weird dimensional stuff that the Doctor could explain... or not explain. When things did finally come together in the mystery it was great. Though I still don't quite get what Fire Walk With Me actually means.

Though at times I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a supernatural or a science fiction type of show. Of course it was revealed that it was supernatural. But the whole message from 'deep space' sorta made me scratch my head. Was half expecting the 'evil in the woods' to be some Aliens.

I loved the characters. My absolute favorite would have to be Dale Cooper himself. I mean I don't think I'll ever hear a character or person describing coffee as good without thinking of Cooper giving the thumbs up.

Then there was the Log Lady. She was... weird but an awesome character. In fact it were these kinds of characters, Andy and Lucy(I think that's her name) who really made the show enjoyable.

As for the series finale.

What the hell was with the almost 20 minutes of Dale running around in that Waiting Room place?
Hell did we ever learn exactly who or what that midget, giant, and such were? It was about halfway through the series when I really started to wonder if it was Windom Earle who was in the psychiatric(is that the name) hospital or if it wasn't Cooper.

There were alot of moments where I really just had to ask WTF? I made a joke, to myself anyways, that I understood Lost better then I did Twin Peaks. Lost is probably going to go down in the history books for being a show that put out a lot of mysteries and answered very few. But now I know where it was inspired from because in the series/season finale nothing seemed at all answered and left just about everything open.

I think I will go into more detail later. As I am trying to watch the season/series finale of The Killing.

So at this point I am unsure if I loved Twin Peaks or hated it. I think its both. In that I hated how it seemed to lack any real storyline I enjoyed, but loved the characters.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Twin Peaks. Empty Re: Twin Peaks.

Post by Unit7 Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:17 am

You know after watching Fire Walk With Me and reading some comments and stuff on it. I have to say that when it was all over I have fallen in love with this bizarre story.

Fire Walk With Me seemed to have filled what was missing within the series itself. I wanted to learn more about Laura Palmer and I got it. While I wish it was covered within the series, I am grateful that David Lynch went through with the movie.

Though I wish that Cooper's actor had a bigger role in it. But from what I have read about his thoughts on the season 2 I guess we are lucky to have him in it at all. Some of the cast didn't want anything to do with it.

While I am still perplexed by alot of what happened and I am a bit annoyed that this special connection Laura and Cooper share will never be explained. I mean what connects them? Before she dies she has a 'dream' that she tells this old man, cooper, who killed her. Cooper will later have this same 'dream.'

Oh well.

In the end I have to say I just really loved it. Even if I am not quite sure what was happening. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Oh no you didn't. It's bad enough I am so behind on the board posting but now you opened up the Holy Twin of Peaks! Damn you Unit. I am gonna have to write whole essays tomorrow here
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Rex wrote:Oh no you didn't. It's bad enough I am so behind on the board posting but now you opened up the Holy Twin of Peaks! Damn you Unit. I am gonna have to write whole essays tomorrow here

Sorry about that. If I had known you'd fall behind I'd have saved it for later... maybe.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:00 am

If it wasn't bad enough that I had fallen behind I combined food poisoning with a flu. Damn

Anyway back to buisness. The short version for now will elaborate more later on.

First off before I forget. How AWESOME was it to see General Hammond! Very Happy

Second how insanely gorgeous are the Twin Peaks girls? I mean seriously? It's crazy.

Yeah at first I was also thrown off by how weird the format was but that' David Lynch for you. You can't leash the man. You can only aim him. I think cracked summed it well

Spoiler:

Anyway I soon got over it. I don't I guess I just kinda felt what Lynch was going for. Kinda following the sheer insanity of Twin Peaks with the ocassional come back to the main story. I have to give it to him. He had giant balls. Too bad the studio pressured him to reveal the killer otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if this had at least a Lost level length

As for hell well I watched it almost an year or two ago( I think I ranted a lot about it on the ABCF forums) but from what I remember about my theories basically this the ultimate way to lose. To gain the power you needed someone to selflessly and of their own will offer their lives and soul for you. Something that an evil like Bob is unable to every achieve. But on the other hand if you are good the price you pay is to be corrupted, I think it was similar to the concept of Truth for full metal alchemist

Ok will elaborate more later. Especially on how pretty the girs were.

Twin Peaks. TwinPeaksGirls
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum