Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Shield

2 posters

Go down

The Shield Empty The Shield

Post by Unit7 Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 am

I never actualy considered watching The Shield. I have no idea why either. I remember seeing commercials for it on TV but I was never interested. But with me slowly running out of stuff to watch I decided to give it a try.

Just a quick heads up. Unlike most cop shows this hardly follows a stand alone formula. Yes there are sections of the show that usually follow Dutch and his partner a crime of the week. Smile

The Shield follows an unconventional team of cops called the Strike Team and the district known as the Farm. The team, along with other detectives and police officers work out of a former church which is commonly called The Barn.

The Strike Team is comprised of some of the dirtiest cops you will ever see on TV. They beat the crap out of suspects to get confessions, plant evidence when needed, and have no problems threatening to drop off a rival gang member in their enemies territory. Especially when tensions are high.

While the show focuses on dirty cops, it doesn't glamorize it. Most of the show focuses on how much work and trouble they go through just to make sure nothing comes back to kick them in the ass later. Which in several cases it nearly does. It's a big message on the idea 'It's not worth it to be dirty. Just play by the damn rules' lol

While the Strike team is doing their business and such you also have a look at honest cops doing their job. You see Dutch, a by the books guy and the butt of jokes, doing the job correctly. He will just talk to a suspect for hours and hours before finally getting to why they are there in the first place. With his honest methods he solves some big crimes and puts some nasty people behind bars.

It was a really nice compare and contrast between Vic Mackey(the leader of the Strike Team) and Dutch. Both opposites in every way. One is big and intimidating and the other someone who would look like easy pickings for the school bully.

What I also loved about this show is that certain actions don't fall into the background and are eventually forgotten. You know how it happens. Something big happens towards the begining of season 1 and by season 3 theres no mention of it. It may or may not get a small nod once and awhile but it's ancient history.

But in The Shield the actions of the first episode follow the Strike Team all the way to the end.

The season finale, or well I should say the series finale, was amazing. The actor who played Vic was just brilliant. The Ending was just... wow.

But while Vic is the leader of the dirtiest and toughest cops he does have a huge sense of loyalty not only to his Family but to his teams. But in the end his Family wins out I'd think.

Spoilers for the finale:

Spoiler:

There is alot I could say about this show. In fact I only just remembered a seriously fucked up thing during the final episodes.

So... you know what yeah I'll go into some detail. Spoiler alert Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

The final season focuses on Vic's superiors trying to take him down. But also his former partner on the loose after their falling out. Boy was it a big one too!!

Unlike Vic, Shane didn't keep secrets from his wife. He ended up bringing her along for the ride as he tried to escape both Vic and the law. Shane's wife seemed to have this upper hand on Vic's wife. She sorta came off more superior because she was let in on the Strike Teams dirty secrets.

Vic had at least the curtesy to shield his wife from his actions. Probably for the better too. Of course both wives were different. As Shane's wife tagged along(with their child and being pregnant) and Vic's decided to turn against him.

So I guess this is why I ultimately liked Vic. Not only was he a badass, but he would do anything for his family even if it meant protecting parts of him from them. Well sorta. Its complicated. That or maybe I just have a warped perception of events?

Shane on the other hand... well he should have just left his family out of his Strike Team life.

or something.

It was a great show. One I am putting on the 'Most Likely to Rewatch' list. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

The Shield Empty Re: The Shield

Post by Rex Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 am

Unit7 wrote:I never actualy considered watching The Shield. I have no idea why either. I remember seeing commercials for it on TV but I was never interested. But with me slowly running out of stuff to watch I decided to give it a try.

Just a quick heads up. Unlike most cop shows this hardly follows a stand alone formula. Yes there are sections of the show that usually follow Dutch and his partner a crime of the week. Smile

Wow me too. I mean they air it all the time here but it hasn't evne passed my mind to check it out. Maybe I should reconsider
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Rex wrote:
Unit7 wrote:I never actualy considered watching The Shield. I have no idea why either. I remember seeing commercials for it on TV but I was never interested. But with me slowly running out of stuff to watch I decided to give it a try.

Wow me too. I mean they air it all the time here but it hasn't evne passed my mind to check it out. Maybe I should reconsider

Oh you definitely should. Its a great show and definitely worth giving a shot.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum