Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race vs Sex

3 posters

Go down

Race vs Sex Empty Race vs Sex

Post by Rex Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:44 pm

So I don't know if you people follow True Blood but in the last episode we saw this interspecies couple (vampire human) having a huge fight. You can see it for yourself here

So basically he is looking for the most hurtful things to say to her. Anyway I noticed that in the forums there was a surprising number of people defending him and finding his behavior justifiable or at least understandable. And one poster made an interesting point that this situation mirrors some interracial relationship. Anyway this thing lead to another and the question arose what if Jessica(the read headed girl )had been played by a black actress and the human used the word ni**er as a way too hurt her. And wouldn't you know it everybody was defending him until then ran away from this topic and refused to answer since apparently any race issue makes people extremely uncomfortable

So I am curious about your opinions. Not just on this issue but generally about society. Are we in a such a situation where people have learned to restrained themselves when it comes to race but woman as whole still remain a nice target? Even by other woman? Has racism gone underground while sexism against woman continue to be tolerated by society?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Race vs Sex Empty Re: Race vs Sex

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, yeah. Just take a walk down any busy city street in the US(especially in NY). Count how many times you hear the word "bitch" and other things that are completely offensive to women. Better yet, hang out at my local mall. And look at popular sayings. "Bros before hoes". Men are called bitches when they aren't tough. "What a little bitch". Women are called sluts and whores by the way they dress or how they choose to carry themselves, but how often are men called sluts or whores? When a man cries, he's considered week- womanly- crying like a bitch. It isn't just the men who are guilty of acting this way and it's accepted as the way it is. You don't see a black person call another black person a "nigger" in an argument, why the hell do women call other women "bitches"? People are so quick to put a woman down, but they hesitate when race comes up, more so I've noticed if the person is African American than any other race. Being a woman is just as much a part of who somebody is as their race, so why is it used as a weapon?

This reminds me of a book I have to read this semester for one of my sociology classes. For Her Own Good by Ehrenreich and English. I think I'll have more to say about women and society after reading it.

I don't watch the show, but the dude in the video seems like a massive ass. I'm not really sure how you can defend that, especially looking at being a vampire as a separate "race" and how he was using is against her to tear her apart. Being upset is one thing, but that's going overboard.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Race vs Sex Empty Re: Race vs Sex

Post by Courtnut Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I remember her from Fly Away Home Smile
Courtnut
Courtnut

Back to top Go down