Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters: A Movie Review.

Go down

Monsters: A Movie Review. Empty Monsters: A Movie Review.

Post by Unit7 Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 am

You know while reading some reviews by viewers I get this idea that this movie is some horrible peace of trash. So I think this movie is going to be one of those ones that truly take on the phrase 'you are either going to love it or hate it'

I saw trailers for Monsters awhile ago. I can't remember where but it peeked my interest.

We are told that scientists have discovered some form of life in our Solar System, upon the probe/satalite reentry in Earth it breaks down and fall somewhere in Mexico close to the US/Mexico border. New forms of life have started appearing and so the Infection Zone was established. Six years after the incident the US and Mexican governments are still having a hard time trying to contain these Creatures.

Story follows a Photographer, Kaulder, traveling around Mexico trying to capture photos of these creatures. he gets roped into helping the daughter of his boss(Samantha). Or well the guy he wants to sell his photos too.

We never learn why Samantha was in Mexico to begin with but we learn that she was involved in an incident where one of the Creatures 'attacked' some city. So their journey to get Samantha home begins with the clock ticking. If they dont make it to the coast in 48 hours the whole area will be closed off from travel for the next six months.

Now as we all know. When theres a deadline like this. Something goes wrong. It always goes wrong.

This movie is a brilliant one. But its also one I will say not everyone will like. Its slow paced, there is very little action, and its the classic story of Boy meets girl. But it was done in a great way. The aliens, the infection zone, all of it is rather the backdrop. The true story is about these two characters traveling through a jungle full of alien creatures trying to make it to the US.

Its not like Cloverfield where you see a rampaging monster crash through buildings. There isnt any real gore in this movie, its not an action movie. Which is why I think some people will be disappointed with this movie. When you see aliens and two characters going into some quarantined area you think 'alright this will have some action' but no it doesnt. So if this is the type of movie you are looking for them I'd say your out of luck.

Now I read in one review that just about every 'actor' in this movie was actually brought in as they filmed it. There are only two credited actors in this movie and its the two main characters. I think everyone else was just kinda pulled into this project as it went on. Atleast thats what a review said. Which is a really cool idea. None of it came off as bad acting either which is really great. It all just sorta felt authentic. Or maybe i dont know what im talking about. Razz

Lets talk about the aliens. The only aliens we actually see, and until the end we dont get a very good luck. But their general look is seen throughout the movie on TVs that are on the News station showing them at night through nightvision. They look sorta like giant octopuses that sorta just grew two legs.

But the CGI for them was amazing. The use of CGI in general in this movie is sparingly. Its not over used. Its used as some people might say 'the right way' and you know I got to admit alot of movies rely on alot of CGI.

We really dont learn a whole lot about the characters. Especially Samantha. All we really know is that her relationship with her fiance is strained. She feels reluctant to go home to be with him. As for Kaulder we learn that he has a complicated relationship with his son.

I thought the chemistry between the two characters was great. There really wasnt a whole lot of talking in this movie. But the budding relationship between Samantha and Kaulder was done perfectly. No melodramatic scenes, no corny anything. It was all just real.

Now some spoilers.

Spoiler:

The acting in this movie was great. The story was a simple one. The aliens were amazing. It was slow but it didnt feel like it was supposed to be a fast paced story. The slow reveal about what kind of lives these two characters have was also done nicely. You didnt learn to much, but you learn the important stuff.

Not a movie for everyone. Some will complain about the lack of action. Some will complain about not enough alien creature mayhem.

This movie does cater to a specific kind of audience. But if you think you are one of those people I'd highly recommend it.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down