Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC's Survivors(not reality show)

2 posters

Go down

BBC's Survivors(not reality show) Empty BBC's Survivors(not reality show)

Post by Unit7 Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 am

I love a good post apocalyptic story. Whether its zombies, a virus wiping out the most of the population or nature taking its vengence on us.

Suvivors starts off as a lethal flu virus slowly working its way through the worlds population and killing everyone. Almost over night 95% of the worlds population is killed off. Slowly the survivors begin to wander and try to make a new place for themselves.

Slowly the main characters bump into eachother and form a 'family' and go about trying to survive.

One of my favorite aspects of this show is that it for once(well im sure there are plenty of examples) shows Samantha, a female and former Junior Minister, slowly trying to establish a new government and bring an end to the lawlessness. But not only that but you slowly see she wants to be more of a ruler then a government official. Theres a moment when they see a helicopter in the air where someone comments "wow maybe there is still someone in charge" the look on her face showed just what you need to know about her. There are other things that makes it apparent that her new system is corrupt.

Usually this kind of character ends up being male. It was different.

While I guess its no real spoiler. But at the end of the first episode we get a look at researchers in a secret facility. This also kept me interested in the series. Not terribly original yet it adds a certain mystery. What do these people know?

One of my favorite scenes happens during the first episode just after everyone's killed. Al, the son of a wealthy man, is driving through the empty streets of... well not sure the city... and comes across Najid, an eleven year old who like many just lost his entire family, playing soccer in the street. The interaction between Al and Najid throughout the series is definitely a high light.

One of my favorite characters has to be Tom Price. He starts off in prison serving time for something you dont learn until much later. Unlike Abby Grant, the 'leader', he is almost remorseless in what he does. All he wants to do is survive and his methods often clash with Abby's moral compass. Thats not to say he is uncarring its just he knows what must be done. He ends up being a pretty badass character too.

Later in the series we learn that someone thought ahead and started mining coal... with slaves. I am actually rather surprised I couldnt remember the last time i saw something like this in a tv/movie. I am sure I have but still. Its one aspect of post apocalyptic settings i never quite considered.

Hmm i thought I would have more to say. Sadly this only lasted for 2 seasons making a grand total of 12 episodes. however it was a great series and it really should have been given a chance. But this just proves 1 thing.

If its cancelled after a season or 2, chances are its worth checking out. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

BBC's Survivors(not reality show) Empty Re: BBC's Survivors(not reality show)

Post by Rex Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:27 am

Seems interesting. I gotta check it out.
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum