Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dexter Seaosn 6 Review

3 posters

Go down

Dexter Seaosn 6 Review Empty Dexter Seaosn 6 Review

Post by Unit7 Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Just posting this to remind myself to post some thoughts on the latest season of Dexter. Such as Deb in therapy... now honestly? I figured she'd be out as soon as she could. But it's a great insight into her character.

Also.

I have been rewatching the series from the start and I can't believe how much I forgot about most of it. Its almost like watching the series for the first time.

Though I am on season 4 with the Trinity Killer. Just finished the Thanksgiving episode and at the end I remembered a very crucial detail. Hell I forgot who shot Deb in the first place, it was only before Deb actually realized there was something off about her wound did I remember who shot her. But it was bugging me, I couldn't remember exactly why and then moments before it was revealed I was like 'Oh shit I remember...'

Ok thats old news.

So lets go on to some newer stuff.

I am really enjoying this season. I also really liked Brother Sam and Dexter trying to explore a life actually ignoring his Dark Passenger. The friendship between the two was also fun. Brother Sam wasn't pushy about religion but lent a helping hand to Dexter in trying to move away from his Dark Passenger.

Unlike Brian, Lila, Miguel Prado, and Lumen, his knowledge of Dexter's Dark Passenger is different. Brian wanted Dexter to team up with him and kill their way across the country(also was great seeing him again) Lila... well Lila was just crazy. Miguel Prado took advantage and was just using Dexter.

Lumen... actually I almost forgot all about her. I can't say that the 5th season was one of my favorites. However she accepted Dexter's Dark Passenger, but when hers left she couldn't be with him.

While Brother Sam doesn't have the full knowledge, he is still the only one who seemed to have any hope for Dexter. Whether it was through God or just finding that light inside himself.

One of the bigger themes of Dexter is the fact that over the series he is slowly becoming more human and that struggle between his two sides trying desperately believe he could never become like the Trinity Killer. Its hard to say which are my favorite moments. When he has given himself up to his killer side and enjoying what he does or the small moments where he makes a realization about who he is becoming.

So yeah. Brother Sam was definitely a great addition...

Then there is the new Detective. Somehow he has been a bit of a disapointment. I wanted to see him clash with Debra more. I mean he comes from a far more professional squad. Deb on the other hand couldn't be more unorthodox. So I expected to be more tension and conflict here. Right now it just feels like he is there filling up a detective spot.

Also I can't say that I really liked Laguerta(sp) all that much... but something about her in this past season has made me really hate her.

As for the Doomsday Killer...

OK I got spoiled on the big reveal. I suppose it wasn't exactly surprising. I read a few comments that people saw it coming a mile away. But before the season started I was reading someones theory on who Professor Gellar's character actually was. But hey, it was still great seeing the actor again. Smile

Also I have been enjoying Collin Hank's character.

But more on that later...

OK I got caught up and I got to admit. I did not see the idea that it would be revealed Deb has a not so sisterly love for her brother. It was either in the previous episode or the one before that. But it was the scene where Deb recalls how as a child when she had nightmares she would sneak into Dexter's room and sleep on the floor and leave before he woke up.(though somehow I wouldn't be surprised if he was aware of this)

I mean it was that moment I realized she does have a romantic interest in him... at least subconciously. Most shows would have just left it at that. Give that subtle nod to the shippers(because if Supernatural taught us anything... its that fans love incestuous pairings...)

So. With this revelation I am completely stumped. Now for the most part I don't think Dexter would actually go along with it. But then I remember his emotions regarding these things are very limited. Hell its not until the start of season 5 does he realize he actually loves Rita and the kids. WHile intellectuatlly he might object... emotionally it would probably be very possible.

But... I swear it felt more like I was watching a fanmade video rather then it actually being part of the series.

Now I read a few comments on 1channel and... well seems like quite a few are rather disturbed by this revelation.

Me? I am just curious how this will play out more then anything. Though I have a feeling that it will be a lot of Deb beating herself up over it and... some rather annoyingly to many awkward moments between the two. Of course my money is on that it will most likely be a temporary thing. That it will be quickly

HOWEVER. I am hoping that if Deb moves on these feelings I hope Harry makes a one liner about it.

As for my stance on this. Well it's definitely going to be interesting.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Dexter Seaosn 6 Review Empty Re: Dexter Seaosn 6 Review

Post by Rex Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:07 am

Oh man I also have so much to go on about this episode but I have both the Doctor Who and Leverage christmas episode so I will be back later on
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:45 am

Rex wrote:Oh man I also have so much to go on about this episode but I have both the Doctor Who and Leverage christmas episode so I will be back later on

Amazingly enough... Leverage wasn't a Christmas special. It feels like it might be more of a Valentines day one.

Now this is just amazing. I mean... the episode literally aired on December 25th in the States.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:00 am

Unit7 wrote:J

I am really enjoying this season. I also really liked Brother Sam and Dexter trying to explore a life actually ignoring his Dark Passenger. The friendship between the two was also fun. Brother Sam wasn't pushy about religion but lent a helping hand to Dexter in trying to move away from his Dark Passenger.

Yeah. I kinda wish that was the main storyline instead of DDK. Instead it seemed like a side story that kinda ended nowhere and Dexter's rampage seemed also weird and just didn't seem to fit.

Lumen... actually I almost forgot all about her. I can't say that the 5th season was one of my favorites. However she accepted Dexter's Dark Passenger, but when hers left she couldn't be with him.

While Brother Sam doesn't have the full knowledge, he is still the only one who seemed to have any hope for Dexter. Whether it was through God or just finding that light inside himself.

One of the bigger themes of Dexter is the fact that over the series he is slowly becoming more human and that struggle between his two sides trying desperately believe he could never become like the Trinity Killer. Its hard to say which are my favorite moments. When he has given himself up to his killer side and enjoying what he does or the small moments where he makes a realization about who he is becoming.

So yeah. Brother Sam was definitely a great addition...

Yeah. He would have been a fine way to continue the hope Dexter got after he saw that Lumen's passenger was gone.

Then there is the new Detective. Somehow he has been a bit of a disapointment. I wanted to see him clash with Debra more. I mean he comes from a far more professional squad. Deb on the other hand couldn't be more unorthodox. So I expected to be more tension and conflict here. Right now it just feels like he is there filling up a detective spot.

Lol I gotta say I kinda loved how the new Detective(and the creepy intern) were swooning over Dexter. Poor Detective. After meeting Masuka, Queen and hearing Deb talk Dex must have looked like his last hope for any professionalism

Also I can't say that I really liked Laguerta(sp) all that much... but something about her in this past season has made me really hate her.
Honestly I kinda think she has already played her part. I wished they had phased her out of the show

As for the Doomsday Killer...

OK I got spoiled on the big reveal. I suppose it wasn't exactly surprising. I read a few comments that people saw it coming a mile away. But before the season started I was reading someones theory on who Professor Gellar's character actually was. But hey, it was still great seeing the actor again. Smile

Also I have been enjoying Collin Hank's character.

I have to say I was kinda dissapointed . It just didn't seem like a worthy oponent for Dex. But EJO was great as always

OK I got caught up and I got to admit. I did not see the idea that it would be revealed Deb has a not so sisterly love for her brother. It was either in the previous episode or the one before that. But it was the scene where Deb recalls how as a child when she had nightmares she would sneak into Dexter's room and sleep on the floor and leave before he woke up.(though somehow I wouldn't be surprised if he was aware of this)

I mean it was that moment I realized she does have a romantic interest in him... at least subconciously. Most shows would have just left it at that. Give that subtle nod to the shippers(because if Supernatural taught us anything... its that fans love incestuous pairings...)

So. With this revelation I am completely stumped. Now for the most part I don't think Dexter would actually go along with it. But then I remember his emotions regarding these things are very limited. Hell its not until the start of season 5 does he realize he actually loves Rita and the kids. WHile intellectuatlly he might object... emotionally it would probably be very possible.

But... I swear it felt more like I was watching a fanmade video rather then it actually being part of the series.

I agree. This really freaked me out. I REALLY hope they don't pursue this and it was just another way for the writers to mess with Deb(since this seems to be their hobby)

Now I read a few comments on 1channel and... well seems like quite a few are rather disturbed by this revelation.

Me? I am just curious how this will play out more then anything. Though I have a feeling that it will be a lot of Deb beating herself up over it and... some rather annoyingly to many awkward moments between the two. Of course my money is on that it will most likely be a temporary thing. That it will be quickly

HOWEVER. I am hoping that if Deb moves on these feelings I hope Harry makes a one liner about it.

As for my stance on this. Well it's definitely going to be interesting.

Agreed. To me this season was a bit of a letdown but we finally got what have been waiting on for six years. The big reveal. I can't wait to see how they will handle it
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by jessixxfan Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 pm

i watched the first 3 episodes of season 6 but then i stopped getting the channel on TV. i'm thinking of looking up the episodes online but the first 3 didn't do much for me. is season 6 worth watching?
jessixxfan
jessixxfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 am

Dear god....this was so hot. Good casting. Best casting ever. More sex scenes like this!
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Rex wrote:Dear god....this was so hot. Good casting. Best casting ever. More sex scenes like this!

Yeah I know what you mean. Now maybe it's because I am a fan Yvonne Strahovski... but I really enjoyed that sex scene at the end. Actually it was just a great scene anyways. Though I am betting Dexter is going to seriously regret not killing her when Deb begins investigating Hannah's killings after she was 15.

So far this season has been great. I love the whole dynamic between Dexter and Hannah. I also enjoyed how they have handled Deb finding about Dexter. The scene in the car was just amazing.

Although I don't like Quinn as much... I have to say I find it funny that he was an actual dirty cop. I remember when he was first introduced that was a minor storyline and I believe he was cleared. Guess not.

Sorta disappointed with the whole Mob storyline... hopefully it gets much much better.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:38 am

Absolutely. And I just love the sheer animal attraction between them. I mean they tried something similar with Lilah but that didn't turn out so good. But this? There is just such a great chemistry between the two of them .Their "flirty" tlak about blood guts at first and then wow. The sex scene was really amazing. You could easily tell how she got under his skin

Absolutely. I really like the fact that they didn't half ass this and just had Deb accepting him. It should be hard. It should be a mess

Agreed. I like the terminator killer but I hope it gets a little better. And frankly I kinda hope we get rid of Quinn. I always thought of him as a bit of a drag
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:42 am

Turns out I was three episodes behind, how'd that happen?

Issak's storyline was actually pretty good. I wish it had lasted a bit longer and it was somewhat disappointing however overall I enjoyed it. Well the interaction between Dexter and Isaak was fun. Though it does seem like everyone decided not to give a shit anymore. I mean Isaak just disappears and no one back at the station is asking where the hell he went? But still them teaming up was rather cool.

Quinn and the Stripper. Seriously this just seems like wasted time to me.

The Phantom Arsonist or whatever storyline bit was really creepy and I was happy that the arson investigater turned out to be well not the killer. I was sorta missing the Bad Guy of the Week.

Though back to Isaak for a moment... I was actually rather surprised that Dexter was so willing to kill right out in the open as he did. It seemed so... against the code.

Which brings me back to Hannah's father. Now I am not saying he doesn't deserve to have his ass kicked but... killing him? Eh screw it he deserved to die. Bastard. Though nice seeing Jim Beaver again. Very Happy

So throughout the series there have been some seriously creepy scenes. But the most disturbing thing I have ever heard from this series was Dexter confronting the idea that there is no Dark Passenger. Maybe its because I want to protect Dexter from himself? Maybe its because I love the metaphore.

Either way... I find it disturbing.

Damn that LaGuerta(orwhateverhernameis) and Matthews are starting to find out the identity of the Bay Harbor Butcher. Though for some reason I always thought Matthews always knew about Dexter. Though for the life of me I can't remember why. Was it a small moment that hinted at it? Or did I just make it up. Ah well.

Personally with Season 8 to be the last(or so I hear) I am hoping that the last season will return to the Bay Harbor Butcher one last time. Maybe he is outed as the killer? Maybe another round of Cat and Mouse?

If Season 8 is to be the last I just hope they kill off any crappy storylines like Quinns. I want to be on the edge of my seat wondering what happens to Dexter in the end... not Quinn banging some stripper.

Right now they have set up the whole thing perfectly for one hell of a final season.

Anyways great few episodes. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: