Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Summer Thread

+2
Unit7
Rex
6 posters

Go down

The Ultimate Summer Thread Empty The Ultimate Summer Thread

Post by Rex Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello everybody. Summer is coming so you all know what that means. The End of All Shows(well except for those that are starting but that's just details Laughing ). House already ended, Chuck ended today and Lost ended forever as well. So that brings up the question. How do we find good new shows? And the answer? This thread. In this thread I suggest we all post our favorite shows. It doesn't matter if they are from decades ago,foreign shows,obscure or animated

"But Rex. That will make this thread just a bunch of useless lists" you say?

Well yes I agree. That's why I urge everybody to post ONE show per post. And if you could please put a link to either the pilot episode of the show or at least to a trailer so people can see what's it's all about. Yes I know that requires some effort but think about the win of discovering a new show. Wouldn't you want to give somebody this present? So do it Very Happy

Last edited by Rex on Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Summer Thread Empty Re: The Ultimate Summer Thread

Post by Rex Mon May 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok. I'll start first. Now many of you know the movie Highlander from the 80's. It's about immortal people chopping off their heads in the ultimate survival game but during the 90's there was also a show based on this. And it was a pretty good show. Well written,great actors the whole deal. Luckily for us it was recently uploaded officially to youtube so now you can all see it not just for free but legally as well. Here is the first episode. As a bonus it's an episode that directly connects the movies and the series Smile

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Brilliant idea Rex...

Which reminds me I REALLY need to catch up on Chuck. I mean its been forever since watching it. I feel so bad about it too. Same with House actually... both these shows just sorta dropped off my list somehow and I forgot about them. silent

Hmm a show, what show, any show... hrmm.

Alright I am going to say Joan of Arcadia for my first pick.

Joan of Arcadia is an interesting show that has God as one of the main characters. Yup, the big cheese Himself... herself. well its complicated.

The story follows a teenage girl named Joan who is visited by God and given tasks by him. From getting a job at a local book store to taking Piano Lessons. Joan doesn't know why she does the things, but sometimes she notices a positive Ripple Effect. All the while dealing with God and his tasks, she has to deal with Highschool, family issues after her brother lost the ability t walk in an accident, and love and such.

It has a great cast of actors with some great performances. Smile

Also even though God plays a huge role in the show. It doesn't shove religion down your throat. The show isn't about religion. He even has a bit of fun with it all. He never says which religion is right, but rather they are all different ways to knowing the Truth.

Great series. I actually found many of the episodes on youtube including the Pilot episode.

I say its worth checking out. Smile

Pilot Episode 1/5.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by secretlifeaddicted44 Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 am

I know it sounds lame but I've read all the Pretty Little Liars books and if the show is anything like them it will be reallllyyyy good trust me =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUO8B47XtGY
secretlifeaddicted44
secretlifeaddicted44
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Nice. We are getting somewhere. Excellent choice Unit. I used to watch Joan back in the days when I still watched TV shows on well TV and sadly due to this I kinda lost track of it. I barely even remember it anymore(although the episode where he commanded her to play chess is still a memorable one). I should rewatch it soon

Pretty Little Liars? never read the books however I heard that this cutie Lucy Hale is in it so I might give a try

Ok now for a new show. Let's try something difference this time. An anime. I know it's not very popular on these forums so I picked a more serious one which I think people can get sucked in. And it's only 13 episodes so you don't have to worry about endless never ending story.

The anime is called Elfen Lied. It's a rather dark anime as it deals with many heavy issues and has some rather violent imageries.
The plot is about a new species emerging which is in a direct evolutionary conflict with humans .Each of the Diclonius as they are known each possessing the innate drive to exterminate the human race so their new race can thrive. However the series goes deeper as it explores whether the Diclonius can overcome their biological programming and also makes you think if us humans are even worthy of being saved considering the horrible things we do to each others and the way we treat this emerging new race(hint : it's genocide). The main characters is at the heart of this conflict. She both has a seething hatred of humanity for what they had done to hear and at the same time she is in love with a human

Anyway. It's not just one of the best animations I have seen but it's also one of the best stories I have seen at all. Both in movies and TV. Great plot, interesting characters with depth and issues that make you really think. However I have to warn you again that it's a dark story

Also as an added bonus the series has truly great music and art(it uses Klimt)

So here is . Enjoy

In this link you can watch the entire first episode with an English dub(don't worry the dub is good)

Here is the youtube version with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles however it's split into 3 parts

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Tue May 25, 2010 1:31 pm

I would definitely recommend picking it back up. I remember watching it when scifi picked it up and showed a few episodes on Friday nights. They stopped airing them shortly after and was sorta bummed. I think it was one of the first shows I started watching via the Internet. One of my favorite scenes happens in the one about Chess or I think it was that episode. Where Joan and her Brother get into a Rock Paper Scissors fight and the whole hallway is cheering and such. This show was also one of them that gave me the love of the whole Ripple Effect(I think The 4400 planted the seed...)

Speaking The 4400. Its my next choice.

As a giant object hurdles towards earth, humanity puts up its deffenses and prepares for the enevitable doom. When the Object, a giant ball of light, slows its pace it finally lands near a lake and disappears. What remains are 4400 people taken across the span of time over the course of 100 years or so. All without aging a day.

The show is sciencefiction/action/drama. The story mainly focuses on a couple federal agents in charge of solving the mystery of The 4400 and so much more. As its quickly learned that they didn't come back normal, and some are experiencing certain abilities...

A great show that only lasted 4 seasons and what I believe a series of books.

Here is the first 10 minutes of the Pilot episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0vy5xTzC8M (a link to the youtube page for more)

Here is also a site with the episodes(though they might be missing a few.. sorry)

http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-9452-The-4400
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC Tue May 25, 2010 6:34 pm

I am so sad that Chuck is over already. But I do have to say, the season finale was awesome! Smile I am rather excited about the new season of Burn Notice. At least I have that to look forward to this summer.
AshleyMC
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue May 25, 2010 10:21 pm

I heard there is going to be a new season so that gives something to look forward to.

As for Burn Notice it' a kick ass show indeed. I can't wait for the new season. For those not aware of it's a show about a spy who was burned( fired and freamed for things he didn't do) and so until he could clear his name he is stuck in Miami and with the help of his trigger happy ex- IRA girlfriend and his ex Navy Seal buddy Sam they help people in need. It's quite fascinating since he gives "spy" lessons in every episode and he always finds creative, almost MacGyver like solutions for the situations

Here is the pilot

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Burn Notice is a great show. Its amazing what you can do with a block of C4 these days. Razz

Also the video doesn't work. I think the videos need to be either youtube, dailymotion, or google.
Sad

That or something is wrong with the video itself.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

Damn I hate this veoh or whatver the provider was called. Oh well here is to hoping people will be able to find it on their own. Now for a new show

The Ultimate Summer Thread 2chh6r

The Secret Diary of Call Girl is based on the popular diary of the anonymous sex worker known only as Belle de Jour and follows the life of a call girl. It's quite an interesting show and even somewhat original (and yes for the Dr. Who fans this is indeed Rose Wink )

You can watch it here :
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/349.html
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 am

Uh small warning about the content of Secret Diary of a Call Girl... because of the nature of the show it does have some nudity and such.

I only saw 1 or 2 episodes and I should track down the other episodes...

If only because she played Rose in Dr Who. Razz

Which reminds me, I need to watch the latest episode. xD
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 am

No problem. It already says 18 on the poster although I can see how people might miss this detail The Ultimate Summer Thread 2Eybrows
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by joselin4life Mon May 31, 2010 10:31 am

secretlifeaddicted44 wrote:I know it sounds lame but I've read all the Pretty Little Liars books and if the show is anything like them it will be reallllyyyy good trust me =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUO8B47XtGY

I am soo gonna watch Pretty Little Liars when it premieres. It looks so interesting!
joselin4life
joselin4life
Social Butterfly
Social Butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 31, 2010 11:25 am

Rex wrote:No problem. It already says 18 on the poster although I can see how people might miss this detail The Ultimate Summer Thread 2Eybrows

Yeah... I didn't see the 18 bit at all...

I was looking... elsewhere. Cool
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay Mon May 31, 2010 1:46 pm

I LOVE The Office. It's hilarious.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/pilot/116135/
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Law and Order SVU is another of my favorite shows. I don't get to watch it very often, but I'll watch most episodes in the marathons when they're on.

I'll post a link for the pilot if I find one.
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Ok time for something good again. If you are interested in Judeo Christian Mythology, Psychology and destructive fighting this is a show for you.

The Ultimate Summer Thread Neon%20Genesis%20Evangelion%20(1997)

In Evangelion the story begins in the year 2000 with what is known as the Second Impact. A global cataclysm that killed half of the population on the planet and caused massive climate changes . The official version is that the Second Impact was a meteor who destroyed Antractica and shift the Earth's axis. However in reality there was no meteor. It was a scientific experiment of a organization who discovered an Angel buried there.

Now the true story starts at the year 2015 in Tokyo 3. An entire city fortress built with one thing in mind. To prepare for a war. The Angels have awoken and seek to wipe out humanity. However even with all the military might at their disposal stopping an angel is almost impossible. Therefore to successfully fight the war three massive biological weapons called Eva have been created. due to the nature of the Eva only special people born after the second impact can control them . Tokyo 3 houses Lilith. The mother of humanity. If any Angel were to make contact with her humanity will be destroyed and thus the the defenders must defeat all 16 Angels who seek to challenge humanity with each Angel representing a different life form that could have inhabited Earth instead of humans

This is an extremely interesting show that offers a fascinating view on the nature of humanity,angels and god and also delves deeply and at times very disturbingly into the human psyche. There is a reason why this is one of the most respected animes of all time and I highly recommend you all watch it

Watch it here( don't worry it's just one season)
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/813.html

And recently they broke down the entire series into 3 movies called The Rebuild of Evangelion (however they are some differences so I suggest you watch both the series and the movies). You can watch the first one here

You can watch the first one Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE here:
http://www.anilinkz.com/neon-genesis-evangelion/rebuild-of-evangelion-1-0-you-are-not-alone/

Hey cool I can put the movie directly into the forum

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 You are (not) Alone

Stealth Computer Services | MySpace Video

Also this is a very good show for all those Supernatural fans who were dissapointed that tehy couldn't see the real Apocalypse and celestial fights Very Happy
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I always told myself to start watching Evangelion. but like so many other great series, its on that long list. Though I think tomorrow, or later tonight when Pink is off I will start it.

Now heres my pick

Trigun. Yes its an anime, but its such a great show that I think just about anyone could enjoy.

The series is set in the distant future as man is begining to spread across the Galaxy. Its set on a desert planet and has a western feel to it. The main character is Vash the Stampede a man with a 60 billion double dollar on his head. Despite the charges against him and the large bounty, all he ever wants is Love and Peace. The series follows him as 2 woman from some insurance agency(I forget their jobs.) follow him around. While alot of the themes in the show are series, there is plenty of humor to go around.

Its a great series and its where I have gotten all of my quotes from.

First episode well part 1 of 3.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down