Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Running Gags?

2 posters

Go down

Favorite Running Gags? Empty Favorite Running Gags?

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:38 am

In TVs or Books there are often a Running Gag that appears through out the series at times. Usually they are small and can often go unnoticed at times.

Enter at your own risk(I will not be held accountable for you losing a couple days)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RunningGag

One of my favorites is in NCIS.

Agent Gibbs(whose full name is sort of a running gag itself) builds boats in his basement. He is often seen working on it while thinking about things. One of the Running Gags involves how he gets it out of the basement. Many of the characters will try and ask 'But how did you get it out?' which he refuses to answer. It even leads Abbey, an expert forensic scientist, to try and figure out if it easily dismantles when she is given the opprotunity to search for evidence on one of his boats. Turns out its just a regular boat. How he gets them out of his basement is left a mystery.

Also from NCIS I love how often times Gibbs will refer to McGee as 'ElfLord' as its his ingame name in some MMORPG. Doesn't appear often, but amusing when said. Very Happy

Also from Burn Notice.

I am really loving how they have turned the blowing up of Michael's Mothers Selarium into a Running Gag. Its often mentioned in passing and a way to get Sam or Michael to do something.

So.

What are some of your guys' favorite Running Gags? Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Favorite Running Gags? Empty Re: Favorite Running Gags?

Post by melissa052 Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:37 am

Hm... Where do I begin? One of my favorite shows, The Nanny, is SO full of them! It's pretty much, to me, what makes the show worth watching over and over again even 11 years after it stopped running because it's what makes it so freaking hilarious! And they pretty much never end just because the show was formulated off running gags, so to say....

Much of it was character-based, with all major characters possessing a specific trait or quirks that provided a source of parody for other characters. The conflicting elements of each character's own comedy were often played off against one another (Fran and Maxwell, Niles and C.C., Maggie and Brighton). Occasionally the characters would break the fourth wall and comment on the situations themselves, or Fran would comment to the audience or look into the camera. Another running gag is the many references to Beatles songs and lines from My Fair Lady. Also, the times when Niles would refer to C.C. as "The Wicked Witch" from The Wizard of Oz.

Other running gags include Fran constantly referring to eccentric family members (some never shown, most of them dying); Fran lying about her age—especially to men; Maxwell fighting through his rivalry with actual Broadway producer Andrew Lloyd Webber; Sylvia loving food in excess; Niles delivering sharp one-liners, often aimed at C.C.; C.C. cold-heartedly reacting to situations that are usually sentimental to others (i.e. the death of Bambi's mother); Gracie psychologically analyzing various situations; Niles always getting fired because he always embarrasses Maxwell or gives Fran ideas that Maxwell extremely dislikes (like the time when Niles suggested that Max, C.C. and Fran go to the Streisand house); Fran and Val lacking intelligence and obsessing over material possessions (i.e. clothes); Yetta making disconnected comments revealing her senility; Fran criticizing Maxwell's and Niles' reserved and inhibited British nature; Brighton morphing into a hopeless dork; Fran's attraction to Jewish males; Maxwell passing up the incredibly popular musical, Cats, then becoming upset when such an idiotic idea became a success; Niles' last name never being revealed; C.C. covering her long-unrevealed name (finally given as Chastity Claire in the series finale); C.C. failing to remember the names of the Sheffield children (even convinced by Niles in one episode that there was another child Sydney); Sylvia constantly nagging Fran to get married; Fran's dad, Morty often featured in the series but never actually seen (until portrayed by Steve Lawrence in later episodes); Morty's only phyical trait being the fact that he is bald, which he is always comically losing his wig; Niles offering obvious hints to Maxwell and Fran about them realizing they should be together and hints from each other; C.C. pining over her unrequited romantic interest in Maxwell; and Fran obsessing with Barbara Streisand. There was also the occasional tryst between Niles and C.C., contrasting with their typical open disdain for each other, which was actually love.

Hm... Maybe I should edit a video of all the running gags in the show... Haha!
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum