Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts.

2 posters

Go down

Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts. Empty Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts.

Post by Unit7 Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 am

A few weeks ago I was browsing through my local used book store. Maybe you remember my ranting and raving about how there not many places to find books in my town. I picked up 2 books there. One of them was Tap, Tap. By David Martin.

The book is about this guy who grew up on an island in Flordia with a friend from a very strange family. They became friends and after his father commits suicide Roscoe(main character) Roscoe leaves the Island with his mom and sisters. 20 years later he has changed from a guy who loves to party to someone who wants to settle down with his wife and have a family. After an old rich couple from his home town go missing, the very same he blames the death of his father on, and presumed dead, his childhood friend shows up at his house. From there he takes him out and tells him something: Hes a Vampire. From there... the book leads you down a twisted road full of... very disturbing stuff.

Now let me go off topic slightly. If you do remember when I ranted and raved about how my Kmart seems to have nothing but romance and vampire books. I only found out until a few days ago that I had actually BOUGHT a book about vampires! Well I slightly exaggerated it. There were those nonfiction books, and several other books. But oh well. Funny how that works out though. These vampires are definitely of the old fashioned kind. They feed on human blood, they kill, and all that fun stuff.

While I disliked the use of present tense. I also disliked how it would jump from First Person to Third Person. The FP was used when Roscoe Bird(the main character) was narrating. The TP was used when the focus was on either Peter(childhood friend) or just about anyone else. I disliked this, however the story itself was brilliant which kept me turning the page.

The story has some gory scenes and has quite a few sexual scenes and such. Nothing sexually graphic. Not at all really. But its there.

The story has great characters. Even characters never seen are given quite the complexity. Even characters that are going to die soon after their introduction are killed. One being a woman nearing 30 who will give a guy one hell of a night, and in the morning try and be the girl every guy would want to marry. Everyone, except for perhaps a few detectives that remain almost nameless, are given real depth. This I got to love about any book. For this, I give it an A. Yay!

The Vampires in this book are also nice after the world has been plagued by SparkleVamps. I mean, this book has Rock n Roll Vamps!(Peter has a talent of being able to mimick just about any voice and loves early Rock) Of course this book was written over 15 years ago. so... yeah.

The ending was. Well actually to be quite honest I am a bit puzzled on the ending. The ending isn't exactly clear. Well its clear as to what happens to Roscoe after the story. But something about it made me wonder.

What more can I add... not that anyone actually cares I guess. I do this more for myself then anything.

Great book, great descriptions, great characters, great well everything. Well wait.

There was a bit of 'info dumping' towards the begining explaining the Island they grew up on. I was reading these parts and I really just didn't see the need for it. I suppose there were other Info Dumps in the story but atleast they seemed more relevant and went mostly unnoticed.

Great book, great horror.

Oh and it has some seriously twisted humor. Peter goes to one of his next victims and tells him that he has come to 'fellate' him(a pun on fillet) and drops to the ground to hug his waist. Then he corrects himself and says 'Oh I meant fillet you' or something. I thought it was rather funny.

To those who don't get it. To fellate someone is to perform Fellatio, which is to basicly give him a blowjob.

But yeah if you love horror novels and well a rather disturbing work and come across the book Tap, Tap, by David Martin. Then I suggest it.

Also... did I mention that Peter cares for a evil looking doll and calls him Dondo? Now there is an interesting story behind that too. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts. Empty Re: Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts.

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:14 am

So I take it vampires don't prefer cunnilingus? 👅

Anyway, sounds good. Perhaps I'll look it up on Amazon.com.
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts. Empty Re: Tap, Tap by David Martin. My Review of sorts.

Post by Unit7 Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:19 am

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:So I take it vampires don't prefer cunnilingus? 👅

Anyway, sounds good. Perhaps I'll look it up on Amazon.com.

Oh I am sure they do. But Peter is actually gay. Actually Roscoe's wife makes a comment about him having a crush on Roscoe. Peter dances around the issue of his love for Roscoe and doesn't necessarily confirm it until later in the book. But its quite clear in the begining he is.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum