Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero

+5
Hannah_Banana222
Unit7
maggiemay
Rex
xChorusOfAngelsx
9 posters

Go down

Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero Empty Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

Just curious, what are everyone's thoughts on this "issue"? I just saw a video of protesters and those in favor screaming at each other over it. It's pretty ridicules, it's not like they're dropping a mosque right on top of Ground Zero while giving America the finger. I'm sure there were many Muslims among the thousands who lost their lives, or lost loved ones in 9/11. The religion didn't fly planes into the buildings, crazy people did. Being Muslim doesn't make a person evil.

Really, what happened to freedom of religion? Last I checked, there wasn't fine print anywhere saying "All applies unless you're Muslim". It's very disappointing what people spend their energy bitching about. The ignorance is astounding. Perhaps instead of being douchebags and taking out their frustrations on an entire religion, these people should volunteer at a shelter, buy food for starving children, or donate blood, money, clothing. Do something that betters somebody else's life instead of denying people their rights.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-the-ground-zero-mosque-debate-makes-no-sense/
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero Empty Re: Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero

Post by Rex Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 am

I don't know man there could be a real threat. Just look at this ground breaking report about the very real threat of this mosque!

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Municipal Land-Use Update - Ground Zero Mosque
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero Empty Re: Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero

Post by maggiemay Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 am

I agree with you. I don't understand why it was denied. This wouldn't be a problem if some kind of Catholic community center wanted to be built. People say it's disrespectful, but I fail to understand that logic.
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 pm

You know I was going to write up a post mocking racist and how I was all in support of not allowing it then slowly point out that these people are just racist assholes and majority wouldn't give a damn if it were a Christian/Catholic community center or whatever. Why is it being denied? Simple because it just so happens to be Muslim.

Personally I love the idea of one being erected near there. It really sucks that the Muslim Community has to put up with ignorant assholes like these guys. They see a Muslim and they see a terrorist.

I am in full support of it. It also holds a somewhat symbolic meaning towards me. I get it. Why not allow them to build something good at or near a place where something evil happened? I say let them build that Good.

Though on a slightly less releated note. I also love the idea of putting the man responsible for 9/11 on Trial near the site. I just love the whole symbolicness of it. Just to bad security and such would probably a nightmare alone, let alone the backlash of it all. But still, I gotta love it. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm definitely for it. I'm not a Muslim and never will be, but I respect them.

Everyone is always saying it's "unconstitutional" and all kinds of crap because this is a Christian nation. Really? Have you read the constitution? Never does it mention a national religion. And do none of these idiots know that many of out founding fathers were atheists? First amendment includes freedom of religion. This country was established for religious tolerance. Why should we do the same thing to Muslims what the Anglican Church did to the Puritans? It's called separation of church and state.

Take my stepdad, for instance. He says that because the pledge of allegiance says "under God" and our money says "in God we trust," this is a Christian nation. Not true. Sure, the majority of Americans are Christians, but that means nothing. Most people believe in God. It's not just Christians. Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Hindus, MUSLIMS! Pretty much the only major organized religion that doesn't believe in any god is Buddhism, which isn't very popular here anyway.

So yeah. Islam isn't some terrible terrorist training program. There are a lot of evil Muslim extremists, but those people exist in every religion.

The whole thing is rediculous. If you're so upset about this, go make your own country where you force your religion on everyone.

K... I'm done. Neutral
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Its funny how some people want to bring America back to it a Christian Nation. But the Founding Fathers were not much Christians either. They were either Diest, athiest, and what not. They actaully feared what Religion could cause. Thanks to a few people, the likes of Washington were protrayed as devout believers, but his own journals indicate he didn't attent church often.

There is also the whole Treaty of Tripoli, Article 11 which clearly states that the United States was not founded on the Christian Religion.(only reason I know this is because on a different forum this concept came up and many were quick to bring this treaty up)

Also the Under God in the Pledge of alliegance, and maybe even In God We Trust, were not originally there. They were first introduced in the 1950's during the Cold War and the Second Red Scare.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:35 pm

What issue? Seriously! Why is there an issue?
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 pm

im not against putting it up, per se, but i wish they would at least move the inagural day back, its on Sept 11th. personally, having lost someone in 9/11, i feel that should be a like work holiday thing. but thats just me.
Malletmusic17
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

http://musicxlifenlove17.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Sure, the majority of Americans are Christians, but that means nothing.
I personally doubt that most people are Christians in the USA. Wait let me rephrase that. I think most people are so to say Christians in name only. Kinda like me. I am registered and count as a christians but I am not really one. I think that's the same with most people. They are Christians because their parents were Christians but when you get really down to it they don't actually believe in the Bible and so on. They are usually agnsotics, desists

First amendment includes freedom of religion. This country was established for religious tolerance
True but there should be a limit to this as well. For example I am not sure which one of those creepy christians sects it was but I sure as hell don't care about any religious freedoms if these have to include denying modern medical care to children just because their parents think it's a sin

Pretty much the only major organized religion that doesn't believe in any god is Buddhism, which isn't very popular here anyway
Actually it's more popular then Islam. although at some statistics they put them equally

im not against putting it up, per se, but i wish they would at least move the inagural day back, its on Sept 11th.
Are you sure? I kinda doubt they would this. This sounds more like something Fox News would make up

The whole thing is rediculous. If you're so upset about this, go make
your own country where you force your religion on everyone.

Well true but let's also consider that this is a special place that has a great emotional impact on many people. It's not like there are people going against mosques all over the country oh wait ....... Damn

Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update
www.thedailyshow.com
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Suddenly I really REALLY want to move to Canada...

Because while Jon Stewart made the thing funny it really isn't and that is just too sad. >.<
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:44 am

At first I was against it because I thought it was being build at right where the towers were, but then I read it is close to ground zero. and I was like what the hell? I mean it just a community center. I heard it is gonna be 15 stories, and only 2 stories are gonna be used to worship. The rest is gonna be a community center, a basketball gym, a catering stuff. and so. I think these people are racist. I saw this man who said, the first amendment doesn't apply on Muslims. Lol Made me laugh a little. Oh and one of my friends dad is a victim of 9/11 and yes he was a Muslim. She cries every Sep 11 and it is just so sad, I cry with her all day.

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by brown eyes sp Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 am

I agree with you Chorus. It's ridiculous to try to persecute all Muslims for the actions of a few extreme zealots.

And Rex, sadly, the statistic about most Americans being active Christians is true.
brown eyes sp
brown eyes sp

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:29 am

............are you kidding me? Seriously I know there are a lot of jokes about Fox news but this is beyond idiotic even for them

Islamophobiapalooza
www.thedailyshow.com

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Fox News Fails. From what I understand from what the Imam said was... something I would have been quick to point out. If he is forced to move this Community Center, the backlash wont be exactly pretty. It would be a very easy to turn this into a means to use as a recruiting tool. It would make it easier to persaude others that America is not fighting a war on terror, but rather a war on Islam!

While I didn't hear the speech itself, but there is actually other uses for the world Explode that doesn't mean explosvies.

But to think that Fox News is condemning the Imam for these 'threats' they have a bunch of people comment about how if a Democrat is elected it could potentially lead to an attack on Americans. While if a Republican is elected the chances are going to be much much lower!

or something.

Anyways I think I dislike Fox even more. Sad
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down