Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help?

3 posters

Go down

Help? Empty Help?

Post by melissa052 Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Working on another screenplay... Something new, something completely different for me...

I got the main storyline in mind, almost ready to make an outline for the script... Only problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out the name for the land and kingdoms it's set in....

There is one main land that holds three kingdoms. One of them is evil and sets out to be in control of the entire land. One of them is good but has been overthrown by the bad one about 10-15 years before the story begins. And the other one is good and currently at war with the bad one, they're not really that much a part of the whole story but they do play a part. The main good kingdom that was overthrown years ago has a group of "freedom fighters" (so to say) fighting to break a curse to save their own kingdom from the bad one and saving the other good one as well...

Something about this story is it's set in a completely different world... There are humans, but there are also a lot of mages, knights, elves, dragons, and other fantasy creatures... And the humans are aware of everything

The evil kingdom is made up of bad mages, who believe for some reason that mages are much more important than humans and any other human-like creatures (Humans and elves...) and they're out to rule the whole land.

The main good kingdom is made up of a little bit of every race and they believe in peace...

Good kingdom 2 is made up of mainly mages and elves, they are in alliance with the main good one and they help the main one break the curse the bad kingdom is spreading over the land...

I've been looking at names of fictional places for a few hours hoping to have something that sounds right hit me but I still got nothing, so I'm hoping someone here could possibly help me just a little...
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Help? Empty Re: Help?

Post by Unit7 Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Seems like you may already have the solution to something I want to bring up. Don't make the Evil Kingdom evil for the sake of being evil. The King or Queen or Counsel or whatever it is the Evil Kingdom is ruled by should have motives and a reason to believe they are right. Because enemies that are evil without any reason tend to get annoying and well I guess boring. Everyone should have a proper motive. But like you said, the Mages believe they are superior and such.

Though quick question. Are the Mages a different race then Humans, Elves, and the likes? Or are they pulling a Voldemort and want to purge any non magic users?

Also another thing you might want to bring up is your Magic System. All good magic systems need rules and limitations. You know stuff like bringing back the dead... well actually thats not true. I mean you should throw in a Necromancer. Nothing like having your fallen friends come back at you... But make sure you got a proper magic system in place.

Now that I have that out of the way. I can finally address the main issue.

Which is... *shrugs* For all of my fantasy stories I have basicly fallen back to the name Dransik. I have yet to even find a proper name for my fantasy realms!

But you could type in Fantasy Name Generator into google and mess around with them. Just make sure you pick a name that is easy to pronounce. Wink

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Unit7 wrote:Seems like you may already have the solution to something I want to bring up. Don't make the Evil Kingdom evil for the sake of being evil. The King or Queen or Counsel or whatever it is the Evil Kingdom is ruled by should have motives and a reason to believe they are right. Because enemies that are evil without any reason tend to get annoying and well I guess boring. Everyone should have a proper motive. But like you said, the Mages believe they are superior and such.

Though quick question. Are the Mages a different race then Humans, Elves, and the likes? Or are they pulling a Voldemort and want to purge any non magic users?
Mages are in fact a different race, different from humans because they can do magic, and different from the elves who can do a different kind of magic that tends to be more mental/less physical and they tend to have much stonger senses... So I wouldn't say they're pulling a Voldemort, per se... More like a Hitler or KKK... Guess you could call that kingdom the KKK of Mages! (Wait, was the KKK only racist against blacks or EVERYONE who wasn't white?)

Also another thing you might want to bring up is your Magic System. All good magic systems need rules and limitations. You know stuff like bringing back the dead... well actually thats not true. I mean you should throw in a Necromancer. Nothing like having your fallen friends come back at you... But make sure you got a proper magic system in place.
Yeah, I'm actually in the process of forming different 'laws' that each kingdom would have, there definitely should be a "government" of some sort...

Now that I have that out of the way. I can finally address the main issue.

Which is... *shrugs* For all of my fantasy stories I have basicly fallen back to the name Dransik. I have yet to even find a proper name for my fantasy realms!
Hm.. That name does have a certain sound to it that makes it sound evil...

But you could type in Fantasy Name Generator into google and mess around with them. Just make sure you pick a name that is easy to pronounce. Wink
Dang! Why didn't I think of that before? You rock!

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:48 pm

More like a Hitler or KKK... Guess you could call that kingdom the KKK of Mages! (Wait, was the KKK only racist against blacks or EVERYONE who wasn't white?)

Hmm well I think they started off primarely against blacks, but I think they expanded to pretty much everyone it seems. lol Interesting concept for Mages. I always just planned to have mages be anyone who practices and studies magic. lol

Yeah, I'm actually in the process of forming different 'laws' that each kingdom would have, there definitely should be a "government" of some sort...

Speaking of which, you should definitely make each different Kingdom unique and different. Otherwise you might aswell just merge them into Kingdom 1 and Kingdom 2. Think of the differences between countries around the world. The best way is to reflect this by the characters actions and motives.

Hm.. That name does have a certain sound to it that makes it sound evil...

It sorta does doesn't it? I guess you could use it, however it originates from a game called Ashen Empires which was once called Dransik. So it might have some legal issues revolving the use. Though I doubt it, pretty sure it sort of falls under Titles/Names when it comes to copyright. *shrugs*

Dang! Why didn't I think of that before? You rock!

Because you don't normaly need an extra hand in picking fantasy like names? Razz
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Hmm well I think they started off primarely against blacks, but I think they expanded to pretty much everyone it seems. lol Interesting concept for Mages. I always just planned to have mages be anyone who practices and studies magic. lol
Just what I thought!
Really? I always imagined mages as people wih magical skills, kind of like witches and wizards, but more human...
I guess that's one awesome thing about fantasy, people can make their own vision/definition of certain things within the fantasy realm...

Speaking of which, you should definitely make each different Kingdom unique and different. Otherwise you might aswell just merge them into Kingdom 1 and Kingdom 2. Think of the differences between countries around the world. The best way is to reflect this by the characters actions and motives.
Yeah, I was just considering merging the two good Kingdoms because they tend to be a lot alike, except for a few qualities such as who runs the Kingdom (In one it's a King/Queen, in the other it's a counsel; One's run like a state, so to say and the other has more of a Native American feel... And then their fighters are different as well, both have mage knights as part of their "armies" but the second one also has warriors and rogues...

It sorta does doesn't it? I guess you could use it, however it originates from a game called Ashen Empires which was once called Dransik. So it might have some legal issues revolving the use. Though I doubt it, pretty sure it sort of falls under Titles/Names when it comes to copyright. *shrugs*

Oh, it's OK! I am trying to choose from three generated names at the moment, it's between Dymra, Zolta, Syithurian...

Because you don't normaly need an extra hand in picking fantasy like names?
Ah! True, true!
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Damn. Ninja's by Unit. He pretty much said everything I have been meaning. I guess I could add a few things

If you are writing a screenplay don't forget that budget must be in your mind as well. You have to keep it both grand enough to captivate people but not grad enough to be too expensive to shoot

There is one main land that holds three kingdoms.

Try working on the geography on the land. They often say that the land shapes the people and having natural barriers between the three countries always seem interesting and a good plot device for things to overcome. Not to mention a really good excuse on why conflicts are starting(ignorance of each other,turning to suspicion,to hate and so on

The evil kingdom is made up of bad mages, who believe for some reason
that mages are much more important than humans and any other human-like
creatures (Humans and elves...) and they're out to rule the whole land.

Maybe in the distant past the normal humans were persecuting the mages who were forced underground until they had enough power to stand up and take control. It's so easy to see why someone would consider the plague of humans nothing more then mindless beasts who need to be controlled. I find villains which motivations you can understand always more compelling
As a good reference point I STRONGLY urge you to watch the series Elfen Lied. There at first you see Diclonius who are violent and sadistic creatures and want to wipe out humans but with time you start feeling for them.

Here you can watch it in English
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/elfen-lied-episode-1-english-dubbed
Or here in the original
http://www.watchanimeon.com/elfen-lied-episode-1/

I've been looking at names of fictional places for a few hours hoping to
have something that sounds right hit me but I still got nothing, so I'm
hoping someone here could possibly help me just a little...

How about Xenosvetla ?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 pm

If you are writing a screenplay don't forget that budget must be in your mind as well. You have to keep it both grand enough to captivate people but not grad enough to be too expensive to shoot
Yeah, I am keeping budget in mind, kind of... I don't really intend to produce/direct it though so it's not necessarily one of the important points as of now...

Try working on the geography on the land. They often say that the land shapes the people and having natural barriers between the three countries always seem interesting and a good plot device for things to overcome. Not to mention a really good excuse on why conflicts are starting(ignorance of each other,turning to suspicion,to hate and so on
Funny you mention that! I just flipped open Eragon like 20 minutes ago and the first thing I saw was a map of the 'country' that saga is set in and was thinking of sketching up what mine would look like before starting the script but after finishing the outline and know all the smaller locations/geography....

Maybe in the distant past the normal humans were persecuting the mages who were forced underground until they had enough power to stand up and take control. It's so easy to see why someone would consider the plague of humans nothing more then mindless beasts who need to be controlled. I find villains which motivations you can understand always more compelling
That's a good idea! I'll have to try to incorporate it into the storyline somehow!

As a good reference point I STRONGLY urge you to watch the series Elfen Lied. There at first you see Diclonius who are violent and sadistic creatures and want to wipe out humans but with time you start feeling for them.
I shall check that out now!

How about Xenosvetla?
How is it pronounced? It may work!
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Xenosvetla

Z nos vel ta

Atleast thats how I pronounced it. Oh and i also had my computer say it and thats how they pronounced it so... *shrugs*

Yeah, I am keeping budget in mind, kind of... I don't really intend to produce/direct it though so it's not necessarily one of the important points as of now...

This is why I write, I don't have to worry about budgets and all that. Very Happy
Though you could always just try and sell the script. *shrugs*
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 am

Code:
Yeah, I am keeping budget in mind, kind of... I don't really intend to
produce/direct it though so it's not necessarily one of the important
points as of now...
If you want to sell it really could be so just in case keep that in mind

Funny you mention that! I just flipped open Eragon like 20 minutes ago
and the first thing I saw was a map of the 'country' that saga is set in
and was thinking of sketching up what mine would look like before
starting the script but after finishing the outline and know all the
smaller locations/geography....
Lol yeah I also like geography in these kinds of books. It gives a sense of realism

I shall check that out now!
Just to warn you it's a bit on the extremely graphic violent side

How is it pronounced? It may work!
Xeno from the Greek word from stranger ,foreign,different and so on ( you know like the xenomorphs aka the aliens in the Alien movies) and svetla is a word that is common in some slavic languages which can mean things like bright, light and so on generally associated with light and so on
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 pm

T
his is why I write, I don't have to worry about budgets and all that.
Though you could always just try and sell the script. *shrugs*
Very true! And trying to sell it might be a good idea! Maybe that will be a consideration!

If you want to sell it really could be so just in case keep that in mind
Also very true! I wonder what the average budget for this type of movie usually is... Of course it varies with the studio making it, too...

Lol yeah I also like geography in these kinds of books. It gives a sense of realism
Yeah, it does, makes imagining it so much easier as well....

Xeno from the Greek word from stranger ,foreign,different and so on ( you know like the xenomorphs aka the aliens in the Alien movies) and svetla is a word that is common in some slavic languages which can mean things like bright, light and so on generally associated with light and so on
Interesting! Maybe I will have that be the name of one of the good Kingdoms, gives it more meaning than something picked off a generator...
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum