Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well this seems bad

4 posters

Go down

Well this seems bad Empty Well this seems bad

Post by Rex Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 am

ANKARA - Turkey’s government was poised to win a referendum on Sunday over constitutional reforms that critics say will undermine the judiciary and pose a threat to the Muslim nation’s secularism.Based on unofficial tallies, Turkish news channel NTV published results showing the government holding a 60% vote in favour of its reform package with 80% of the ballot boxes counted.Other media outlets also showed the “Yes” vote well ahead.If the trend holds it will mark a huge boost for Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, whose AK Party will seek to win a third term as a single party government at a general election due by July next year.“It’s better than expected, and it’s a good endorsement ahead of next year’s elections,” said Semih Idiz, a columnist with Milliyet newspaper.“We still don’t know what the story is in the southeast, but I think the Prime Minister must be feeling pretty comfortable.”Though the AK Party has pushed political and economic reforms and spearheaded Turkey’s drive for membership of the European Union since coming to power in 2002, the secular establishment accuses it of harbouring Islamist ambitions.The secularist opposition does not dispute that some changes are necessary. But it says the proposals would also open the way for the AK party to take over the courts after building up a strong power base within the state during eight years in office.With the military’s once-formidable power clipped by EU-driven reforms, the high courts have become the last redoubt of a conservative secularist establishment.The package includes 26 articles. Most are seen as progressive and uncontroversial, including one that would make the military more answerable to civilian courts.But opponents say proposed changes to the make-up of the Constitutional Court and the High Board of Judges and Prosecutors, a state body charged with appointing magistrates, raise concerns over the future independence of the judiciary.

The last thing we need is Turkey becoming less secular. However I do hope that this along with the rising anti islamic sentiments in Europe practically destroys Turkey's chances of ever getting admitted into the EU. Since this would be a huge catastrophe on every possible level

And I can't help but wonder how the Kurds will react to this
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Well this seems bad Empty Re: Well this seems bad

Post by PiperC! Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:58 pm

How would Turkey getting admitted into the EU be a catastrophe?
I really have no hope in understanding european affairs. haha
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by brown eyes sp Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 am

Great. Fantastic.

But seriously, how can they not realize that becoming less secular is the last thing that's going to make getting into the EU easier? Not to mention all the tensions this could cause? I agree that they need to be making some reforms, but I really don't think it should be done like this.

Then again, I'm not Turkish, so I don't understand the whole issue.
brown eyes sp
brown eyes sp

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 am

Well to be honest I don't understand it much either since I haven't bothered doing much research. Although from what I hear from a few Turkish guys(who mind are very secularish and therefore biased) it's not about getting into the EU. They are just using it as an excuse to weaken the power of the military and the courts who are keeping the islamists in check
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Isn't the majority of Turkey in Asia? Can they even be in the EU?
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum