Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the girls,

5 posters

Go down

For the girls, Empty For the girls,

Post by PiperC! Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:11 pm

so yeah, not so sexy a topic but this important to me.

Please tell me, all you menstruating females, that you have heard of menstrual cups.
They rock.

http://www.menstrualcups.org/

I started this whole reuseable, cheap, eco friendly period thing a few months ago when I bought a DivaCup, and I ain't ever going back to disposable tamps and pads.
I just sewed some cloth pads too, and it is amazing how much more comfortable I am now; my cramps are less severe, I seem to bleed lighter, and when I wear a pad, I don't feel all gross and nasty.

Check it out, I am serious, my hoo ha feels SOO much better.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

For the girls, Empty Re: For the girls,

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:31 pm

I've heard of them, but that just seems so weird.

And cloth pads seem inconvenient. If you're home all day and want to save the environment, be my guest, but what do you do with a reuseable pad when you're out somewhere? Just shove it in your purse? Ew. And how do you attach it?
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:I've heard of them, but that just seems so weird.

And cloth pads seem inconvenient. If you're home all day and want to save the environment, be my guest, but what do you do with a reuseable pad when you're out somewhere? Just shove it in your purse? Ew. And how do you attach it?

If you wear snug undies, they just sit in place, but like regular pads, most have wings with buttons or fabric fasteners of some sort.

The cloth is just so absorbant and dry feeling that I don't change very often, and when I do change in public, I just fold them up and put them in a little waterproof holder, like a makeup bag.
And to when I get home I just put them in my bucket with baking soda to soak for a day or two then I rinse them out and hang them to dry. The whole process takes like 10 min, and with only a few pads, I never run out. Some are like disposables and are just put in your panties, and wear. But some are boostable where you can adjust the absorbancy with how many inserts you use or whatever. Plus they are really cute, I have one with sea horses, one with flamingos, and one with rainbow dung.

As for the cup, I think it is a lot less weird to put inert silicone up your vag, on which bacteria cannot grow, than show bleached cotton up there to leave pieces behind and soak up all your vaginal fluids, blood and otherwise. That is why I had to quit using them, they dried me out and became way uncomfortable.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:48 am

What kind of material are they? And do they have some waterproof seal on the bottom so it can't soak through?

Haha cute? You plan on pulling your pants down and showing other people?

I think I would definitely rather have one of those than a tampon, but still. I'm kinda scared to shove anything up there. Razz
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

They are usually made out of cotton because it is soft and breathable. Very often flannel for it's absorbancy.
And some, mainly the moderate to heavy day ones, have a PUL waterproof backing sewn in the bottom layer of fabric. The ones I have made don't, but most of the ones I bought of etsy do.

And, why does no one appreciate cuteness anymore? It's nice to see blood covered Hello Kitty, more so than just blood covered paper/plastic. And yes, if I were proud enough, in certain company, I may just do that? Let them see the menstrual innovation! lol
I guess it is the same principle with sexy underwear. I wear them even though I have no boyfriend. I wear them for the novelty of it.

You don't use tampons now? OMG How do you survive? The minute I had to stop using them I was looking for alternatives. Those 2 months I spent using disposable pads were a low point in my life. Razz
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 am

They have this
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/1243131.html

for people who aren't familiar with their lady parts. I just popped it in when I got it, but I was using tampons before that.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:50 pm

I am going to buy them for conception purposes Smile I've heard they are hard to get used to but that they work. I only heard about them about a month ago.
Courtnut
Courtnut

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 pm

I warmed up to them pretty quickly, but I can imagine them being a bit bothersome for some people. They have a steep learning curve.

And you're trying to get pregnant? Cool beans!
I don't know how a menstrual cup would help with that. I guess it would hold the junk in your vag, but no where near where it needs to be.

Any idea of what brand you are getting?
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Sounds like a giant pain in the ass, I'm far too lazy for that. Put it this way, when a pad or tampon leaks into my underwear, I chuck the underwear. No desire to wash blood out of anything. Definitely not for me.

I've never heard of menstrual cups. They look like they'd be difficult to insert... And kind of awkward to walk around with. Can you feel it when it's in? They seem kind of big. Still, no desire to wash blood out of anything- Especially during that time of the month, even with birth control my period kicks the shit out of me and I feel like doing absolutely nothing.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:45 am

It's easy to clean out blood. I never throw them out. If it stains, if anything I just wear those pairs on my periods Smile I mean it's not like it matters if you have a stain on your underwear...

And Piper, that's how I found out about them. They are actually extremely helpful. It can be for people using donor sperm, or use it to hold every sperm in and it's actually been quite successful Smile I don't know which brand to use. They seem different and kind of expensive.
And yes, me and my husband have been trying for almost 3 1/2 years, and we just recently had our 5th miscarriage Sad
Courtnut
Courtnut

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Courtnut wrote:It's easy to clean out blood. I never throw them out. If it stains, if anything I just wear those pairs on my periods Smile I mean it's not like it matters if you have a stain on your underwear...

And Piper, that's how I found out about them. They are actually extremely helpful. It can be for people using donor sperm, or use it to hold every sperm in and it's actually been quite successful Smile I don't know which brand to use. They seem different and kind of expensive.
And yes, me and my husband have been trying for almost 3 1/2 years, and we just recently had our 5th miscarriage Sad

Oh. I won't hold the sperm up near your cervix, but those little fuckers can swim, sooo...
I can see that it might be helpful. I hope it happens for you guys soom.
And I don't throw my undies out either, the blood usually comes out easy, and before I used cups I would have been throwing away almost every pair I own. Tampons leaked for me.

PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:12 pm

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:Sounds like a giant pain in the ass, I'm far too lazy for that. Put it this way, when a pad or tampon leaks into my underwear, I chuck the underwear. No desire to wash blood out of anything. Definitely not for me.

I've never heard of menstrual cups. They look like they'd be difficult to insert... And kind of awkward to walk around with. Can you feel it when it's in? They seem kind of big. Still, no desire to wash blood out of anything- Especially during that time of the month, even with birth control my period kicks the shit out of me and I feel like doing absolutely nothing.

They are difficult for some people. I guess I'm just lucky that they weren't for me. The silicone is squisy and folds easy and the you just kind of stick it up there, simple. And I can't feel them, not anymore than tampons. They are about the same size of a tampon filled with blood except they have a much higher capacity, I leave mine for 12 hrs. or more after my third day, only around 6 on my heavy days.

I don't put anymore effort in this than disposables. I just take it out, dump it and stick it back in there. I rinse it when I'm in the shower. And as for the pads, I just take them out stick them in my bucket then at the end of my period, or maybe in the middle if I have time, rinse them, squeeze them out and hang them to dry. The comfort, cramp relief and nonleakage makes up for the 10 min that takes. lol.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 pm

So how does this stuff help with cramps?
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:40 am

Tampons make my cramps a million times worse than they are using pads. But my cup sits alot lower than a tampon, just past my pubic bone as opposed to right next to my cervix, so I assume thats the reason. It doesn't work for everyone I think, based on polls and such, but it did for me.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm a pad girl...but I have heard of those. I think on one of GloZell's videos on YouTube.
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:38 pm

GLOZELL!!!
I love her. lol!
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down