Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should old people be allowed to vote?

3 posters

Go down

Should old people be allowed to vote? Empty Should old people be allowed to vote?

Post by Rex Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:28 am

People under 18 years aren't allowed to vote because it is assumed that they are not yet mature and informed enough to do it. But shouldn't the same goes for say people over 70? In their own way they can be just as detached and ignorant as teenagers albeit for different reasons and their mental situations may also be as unstable as a teenagers. So do you think they should be allowed to vote? And if yes then shouldn't younger teenagers be allowed to vote as well?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Should old people be allowed to vote? Empty Re: Should old people be allowed to vote?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 pm

I think everyone, young or old, should pass a test on the candidates before voting. A lot of people have no idea who the person is that they're voting for, they just see Democrat or Republican and choose based on that, not what they want to accomplish if elected.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Should old people be allowed to vote? Empty Re: Should old people be allowed to vote?

Post by Rex Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 am

Great idea. Unfortunately my guess is that then the parties will prepare cheat sheets and distribute them to all.....

Lol in my country when they are bribing the gypsies to vote for someone they actually have to give them a chart with the exact ballot and what they have fill since a lot of them can't even read.
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Considering some contraversy over some states trying to let republic heavy counties begin voting earlier then Democratic counties... I'd say here in a America it's probably not the best time to introduce something like this.

In America. Did you know that would probably much make it so quite a number of the Senators couldn't even vote?

In America we have a bit of a history of not letting people vote or trying to limit people in some ways. Why? Because whoever is trying to put up the restrictions doesn't want a certain group to vote. Take African Americans. Some white folk didn't like the idea of them being able to Vote. Because if they got their say then it threatens the status quo. They want to remain in power and thus they do what they can to try and prevent it.

If I remember correctly in some places a test was required before voting. Sounds like a 'no duh' sort of thing right? Except at the time it would have meant the majority of African Americans COULDN'T vote. Why? For the simple fact that most of them couldn't read. Ok apparently this went on longer then I had actually thought. Which is... even more depressing.

Anytime I hear of some idea to impose restrictions I get a bad feeling. Maybe a test should be required. Maybe we should cut off a certain age group once they get too old. But I also think that their voices should be heard. Whether I like it or not.

Are they ignorant? Are some of them mentally unstable because of illness and disease? Sure. Are they detatched from the world and politics in general. Sure some of them are.

But can you blame them? No. Mostly because this pretty much sums up any age group and I wouldn't know which one you are talking about.

Which brings me to young teens voting. Some are ignorant of politics and world affairs. While others probably know more about whats going on in the world then most adults. So yeah I don't see a problem with them voting. But I doubt the age restriction of 18 is going to change anytime. Of course I am not sure whether or not it should.

But when you do try and impose these sorts of restrictions it's always because one party views the other as a threat. It also seems to be a bit of a dirty tactic to try prevent people voting against you.

So I wouldn't be in favor of it.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum