Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards?

3 posters

Go down

Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards? Empty Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards?

Post by Rex Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am

I just heard that and I found it beyond bizzare. Is it true that you don't have ID cards? And if yes how does well anything work?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards? Empty Re: Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards?

Post by melissa052 Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Oh, we have ID cards. Apparently it's law, after you turn 18. If you don't get a driver's license, you're supposed to get a state ID card, it can be through the DMV.

Grandma says I can get arrested if someone asks me for it and I don't have it. And I pretty much never have mine on me because I don't carry my bag with me everywhere. And I haven't been arrested yet, so either I've been lucky or this is a poorly enforced law.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards? Empty Re: Is it true that Americans don't have ID cards?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Is that a California thing Melissa? I've never heard of it being a law. Never really thought about it though because I've had a drivers license since I was 16. I suppose if the cops think you're someone else and you can't prove otherwise with an ID you could get arrested until you can prove you are who you say you are.

I think it would be a major pain in the ass not having one though. You need it to buy alcohol, some concerts in bars are 18 and over or 21 and over, so they check IDs

Funny story. Couple years ago my boyfriend and I went to a show in a bar. The over 21 crowd get stamps on their hands on the way in showing they're old enough to drink so the bartender doesn't have to check. I got through no problem, but my boyfriend's license picture hasn't been updated since he was 16 and he looks completely different. Bouncer thinks its a fake ID and refuses to give it back. We had to call the cops to get it and since my boyfriend got pissed and started swearing at him, we weren't allowed in to the show. I couldn't even get a refund on tickets because I went in first and already checked in. Then when the cops showed up, they gave my boyfriend a hard time saying that if it was fake, he would be in a lot of trouble. Wtf? Yeah, he called the police to get his fake ID back. Idiots.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:23 pm

I think it might be. Or it might be a scare tactic grandma fails at, because I never heard of the "law" myself. XD Grandma asks me what I'll do if a police officer ever asks me to see my ID and I always say I'll just lie about my age, unless I'm buying alcohol or lottery tickets or something... I mean yes, that's breaking even bigger laws, but I can still pass for 15, might as well use that to my advantage whenever possible. Very Happy
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum