Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is school really, really necessary?

3 posters

Go down

Is school really, really necessary?  Empty Is school really, really necessary?

Post by melissa052 Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

So, I've kind of been turned off of the history major, for reasons... mostly because I'm bad at comprehending things and there is no way I will be good with that major with my comprehension skills.

And I'm taking my final in history tonight, which means I have pretty much finished this semester! I still need to take the SLO for psych, but that's more like a short quiz than an actual test, I think. Liz is graduating on my birthday, which is kind of awesome. Not completely, since it means she'll have to start paying loans back, and she just found out she's gotta pay back $13,000. And that has me thinking, is school really necessary? I mean right now, I have a couple ideas floating in my head, a few of which don't even require a degree and can be self taught, just takes time and patience, along with skill and talent. I just don't wanna risk ending up going that far in debt when I don't even really know what I'm doing yet. And with my luck at figuring things out, I would probably end up even further than that before ever deciding on a degree.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Is school really, really necessary?  Empty Re: Is school really, really necessary?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Work for awhile and see how hard it is to make it without at least a bachelors degree. I have two completely useless associates degrees and I'm stuck at a part time, $8 and hour job that has nothing to do with my field because nobody wants to hire full time employees, especially without the education. I make $700 a month. Subtract about $60-70 a week for groceries, $60-80 a week for gas, $40 a month for internet, and $50 a month for electric. It doesn't leave a whole heck of a lot left over. Boyfriend pays rent. Mom pays my phone and car insurance. The only reason I have my car is because she let me trade in her old one and paid the difference off with inheritance from my dead great uncle. It's not fun.

Research the fields in your area that have the biggest job outlook and pick one that you wouldn't hate working in. You don't have to love it. Get the necessary degree. Work on it part time a couple classes at a time if you have to. Student loans aren't mandatory. Get all the financial aid and scholarships you can get and work your way through school. State colleges are generally inexpensive for state residents as far as education goes.

Happiness comes from many aspects of your life, not just your career. Don't worry so much about being interested in your job. Not many people are.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Is school really, really necessary?  Empty Re: Is school really, really necessary?

Post by Rex Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 am

Hmm it's a complicated question one that is largely dependent on your personality and ambitions. If you want to start some small buisnes like an internet one or something, if you want to be an actress, if you want to start your own sandwhich shop or something and similar things then no. You don't really need the uni. But this carries great risk so it's a gmable

If you want to have any hope of actually scoring a well paying job especially one with insurances and everything the uni essential. Usually a masters degree as well. Hell in quite a few european countries if you don't have at least a masters degree and are fluent in two foreign languages they don't even look at you

Another great thing is that the uni doesn't just give you the qualifications you need to get noticed but it gives one of the most important tools in life. Networking. The friends you will make there, the professors you will meet, the internships the uni will arrange for you...they all give you essential contacts which are a HUGE help in your professional life

And yes. Chorus is right. Always think of alternatives to getting into debt. Part time jobs, schoalrships and so on. If you are patient enough and research a lot you will be amazed at what you can find. And don't forget there is always the option of studying abroad. There are quite a lot universities who are free, provide you with housing and even have majors that are taught in English.

This can be very helpful. For example in my university my education was free. All I had to pay was the registration fees which were about 150$ per year. And since I had a scholarship for having an excellent grade which was 300$ I actually made a profit on my time in the university

There are always ways and I am sure you can find them Smile Meanwhile work on your own ideas in your spare time and enjoy yourself
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum