Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jobs

+4
melissa052
Hannah_Banana222
Rex
xChorusOfAngelsx
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jobs    Empty Jobs

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

What is the worst job you've ever had? The best? I ask because a) this forum is dead still and that sucks and b) I'm curious because although I love my job, sometimes it can be downright shitty (literally). So, I'll start.

Worst jobs I've had were in retail. I've worked at several stores, both inside a mall and out, and they've all made me hate my life when I was there. People are so damn rude when they're shopping, it's ridicules. I've lost count of the times that I was working the cash register and almost jumped over the counter to kick someone in the head for being a massive douche. Sales associates don't get paid nearly enough for the shit they have to put up with. I will never do that to myself again.  

My current job is awesome. I'm an overnight residence aide at a group home. I'm basically a parent, a nurse, and a counselor to 10 adults with a diagnosis of mild mental retardation. 6 hours of my 10 hour shift I pretty much get paid to watch TV. It's awesome 98% of the time. The other 2% however, shit happens. In the morning I have to get all of these people medicated and ready for the day programs/workshops they attend. It doesn't always go smoothly, because although these people are adults, they have the mentality of 4-11 year children and they fight like siblings do. I broke up a fight not too long ago over who got to start the dishwasher.... yeah. They also have accidents. I had the misfortune of having to deal with a dude Saturday night who clearly wasn't feeling well, and I had to clean the bathroom several times because he missed the toilet. But for what I'm getting paid and the room for advancing within the agency and I continue with my education, I cant complain.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Jobs    Empty Re: Jobs

Post by Rex Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah. We are appraoching the zombie summer time . Here is to hoping we can survive it and that Unit gets his internet back so we grow even stronger Smile

Pretty much all my jobs have been the same. Some random variety of an office job. Either as a temp,assistant or so on. It's quite boring but I usually do all my work quite fast and spend the rest of the time browsing the web

I have noticed that and it always baffled me. Not just with sales associates but with waiteresses ,secreataries and so on. Like on why on Earth would you be so rude to a complete stranger who has done nothing to you and is actually trying to help you?

That sounds good. I saw recently something similar for one of programs from the EU where they pay you to go work abroad for a few months but this seems like too much responsibility to me. I can't imagine taking care of an animal much less a human being. Too many what if I screw up massivley scenarios running in my head
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Rex wrote:Yeah. We are appraoching the zombie summer time . Here is to hoping we can survive it and that Unit gets his internet back so we grow even stronger Smile
Yes, we need our almighty admin back. Grow stronger and get rid of these pain in the ass bots.
Rex wrote:
Pretty much all my jobs have been the same. Some random variety of an office job. Either as a temp,assistant or so on.  It's quite boring but I usually do all my work quite fast and spend the rest of the time browsing the web
That's pretty much what I do all night. I have specific times during the night that I have to do bed checks and I have to clean the house, but that only takes me about an hour or two. Then the last two hours of my shift I give everyone their meds and try and keep them from killing each other until my coworker gets there.  

Rex wrote:I have noticed that and it always baffled me. Not just with sales associates but with waiteresses ,secreataries and so on.  Like on why on Earth would you be so rude to a complete stranger who has done nothing to you and is actually trying to help you?
I don't understand it either. And it gets worse around the holidays. Like, wtf? 'Tis the season to be jolly, fuckers.

Rex wrote:That sounds good. I saw recently something similar for one of programs from the EU where they pay you to go work abroad for a few months but this seems like too much responsibility to me. I can't imagine taking care of an animal much less a human being. Too many what if I screw up massivley scenarios running in my head
It's mostly common sense and strategy. Like, you don't get the one person up who likes to hit people before your backup gets there in the morning. And it's always important to follow protocol as closely as possible, and document everything. That's the one thing I hate about working in this field, you spend as much time covering your ass as you do actually working.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Indeed. I hope things get better with him

Sounds good except for the whole killing each other part

Exactly. And I am even more baffled at people who are not just rude to everyday employees but are also rude to waiters. Seriously what exactly do they think will happen if they are rude to people who handle their food?

Yup. Pretty much this. I will constantly think about what might happen if I incidentally push someone and they hurt themselves or I make some other mistake and so on. You have a lot more courage then me working something like this
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Rex wrote:

Exactly. And I am even more baffled at people who are not just rude to everyday employees but are also rude to waiters. Seriously what exactly do they think will happen if they are rude to people who handle their food?

I know! Do these people not realize that waiters/waitresses and cooks can do unimaginably gross things to their food without them knowing it? Blehhh. I'm always pleasant to them and my boyfriend and I always overtip. I don't even send food back if they get it wrong. I usually say no tomato. If it has tomato or whatever I said none of, I just pick that shit off lol.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Me too. Don't get me wrong if the employee is being an asshole(something which happens rather often in my country) there is nothing wrong with being an assholes back to them but I can't imagine what kind of douchbag you have to be to behave like a dick to someone who is just trying to help you
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 am

I've only ever had 2 jobs, so I guess being a cashier/cook at Hardee's is the worst by default. Even though I loved it. I've never understood why everyone seems to hate working in fast food. Yeah, some of the customers are pieces of shit, but they make for good stories. One of my favorite parts of working there is trying out different accents in the drive-through. My brother and I worked there together, so every time a new car was coming through, I'd yell, "Zack, give me an accent!" and he'd assign me anything from Irish to gay guy to secret service agent. Or sometimes I would just sing to the customers while taking orders. Sometimes I'd have 5 different cars in line, and I had a different accent with each one, so I had to try to remember which one to use with which. Oh man, those were the days...

And as fun as that was, my current job is even better. I teach after-school day care at a Christian elementary school. Basically I get paid to hang out with five- to eight-year-olds. They're always entertaining, and I get to tell them what to do, which is cool.
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:52 am

Fast food is one thing I've never done. I was never able to bring myself to do it. I've heard too many horror stories of dirty people working, and dirty work areas, questionable food storage practices, and I do like to eat fast food once in awhile. I think working there and seeing it would ruin it for me. Although if I was desperate I suppose I'd do it part time, on the side for extra cash. All the fast food places here are always hiring.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 am

Nice Hannah. You scored a great job! Congrats

I personally avoided the food industry as whole. I just know that someone there is going to piss me off and then I will proceed to do something unspeakably horrible to their food which will likely get me into trouble
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 am

I've only had tree jobs. The worst was teacher's aide through summer school, I tutored a class of deaf and hard of hearing kids and since I am not that great with sign language, there was a bit of a language barrier... but they were awesome kids! I loved working with them.

The best was definitely featured actress. I kind of wanna get into more movies and act more, but since I don't live near LA, it would be kind of expensive.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Most of my jobs have just been babysitting, but one was terrible. It was 3 summers ago and I watched 2 boys. They were really mean and rarely listened to me. So I hated it.

My current job is amazing. I watched a 2 year old girl about 20/25 hours a week and there will be a new baby in a few weeks. Her parents are great and she's a good kid. The pay is also good. And who doesn't want to play all day and have nap time?
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm

The worst job that I ever had was working at a call center. I was a customer service rep for Detroit Edison. Which is an electric company here in Michigan. 90% of my customers were from Detroit. You got yelled at, cussed at, screamed at. Everything you can think of. I always felt bad for the people who could not afford their bills and had their electricity shut off. There was nothing I could do usually. I have had several jobs and none of them I liked. I will never be truly happy until I am working in the health care field, which will hopefully be this week when I can start working for U of M.
AshleyMC
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am

Ick. I don't think I'd ever be able to work at a call center. I'd lose it and tell them that shit isn't free and to pay their fucking bills.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:28 am

Me too. I lose my shit when I try to explain basic computer stuff to my parents. And those are people I love. If I had to talk to some halfwits on the phone the entire day I would probably end up doing something horrible ala Hanibal
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 pm

I recently applied for WIS, which is basically doing inventory. I know they hire pretty much everyone who can do basic math and handle electronics, so if I don't get hired there, I might as well just give up on life. :p The hours suck, the locations are all over the place, the pay isn't great, but at least it will be a job and if the theory that finding a job when you have one is correct, I might have better luck at finding a better job when I get into this one.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:24 am

I hope you get it Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am

Same here!

As for me I am currently working at the very illustrious place called Hyvee...

Which I now wonder if anyone has actually heard of it outside the midwest. Eitherway it's just one of those supermarket grocery stores.

Either way it's not so bad, except I can never find anything in the storeroom. Like seriously.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 pm

I have an interview on Friday! Here's to hoping I don't screw it up! XD
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

Unit7 wrote:Same here!

Which I now wonder if anyone has actually heard of it outside the midwest. Eitherway it's just one of those supermarket grocery stores.

Either way it's not so bad, except I can never find anything in the storeroom. Like seriously.

Please Unit you are not fooling any of us with the so called Hyvee thing. You work for HYDRA don't you?

And good luck on the interview Mel Smile
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 am

I GOT THE JOB!!! Very Happy

My official title is Inventory Associate. Not super exciting, but better than the unemployment line. :p
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Congrats!!! Very Happy
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:25 am

melissa052 wrote:I GOT THE JOB!!! Very Happy

My official title is Inventory Associate. Not super exciting, but better than the unemployment line. :p
Sweet! Congrats! cheers 
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiemay Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:04 pm

melissa052 wrote:I GOT THE JOB!!! Very Happy

Congrats!!
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Rex wrote:
Unit7 wrote:Same here!

Please Unit you are not fooling any of us with the so called Hyvee thing. You work for HYDRA don't you?

And good luck on the interview Mel Smile

Oh Rex... You know how much I like you, I was really really hoping that your vast intellect would not interfere with our friendship. but now that you know my secret, you know what I must do. It's hardly personal... but no one can know. You understand right?

Unless you want to join us. We could always use a man like you.

Oh and congratz on your new job Mel.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 am

Join you? Oh Unit I have been a member since 03 Wink Hail Hydra my friend
Rex
Rex