Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Movie Thread

+2
Rex
melissa052
6 posters

Go down

The Ultimate Movie Thread Empty The Ultimate Movie Thread

Post by melissa052 Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 am

OK... Rex's thread got me thinking, not about TV, but why isn't there an ultimate thread for movies! So I thought 'd make it!

So, like Rex's thread, this isn't gonna be a boring list thread! You have to pick a movie, either from the past or more current and give either a summary of it or why you like it so much and include the trailer of the movie if possible...

So I think I'll start!

For the first movie, I'll put Schindler's List, It was made in '93 directed by Steven Spielberg which explains why it's probably one of the best movies of all time!
"Schindler's List" is the based-on-truth story of Nazi Czech business man Oskar Schindler, who uses Jewish labor to start a factory in occupied Poland. As World War II progresses, and the fate of the Jews becomes more and more clear, Schindler's motivations switch from profit to human sympathy and he is able to save over 1100 Jews from death in the gas chambers.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Movie Thread Empty Re: The Ultimate Movie Thread

Post by Rex Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am

Excellent idea and a great first choice

One movie that I have really grown to love is Have Dreams Will Travel. The action is set in the 60's and it deals with a boy who lives in the middle of nowhere in a life that's going nowhere. His parents are apathetic and only obssesed with their hobbies. Everything changes one day when in front of their diner there is a car crash. The only survivor is a girl his age. The family takes her in until she recovers and soon the boy grows to be fascinated with the weird but highly intelligent girl who came into his life. After a while they run away together and hit the road. During their travels across america they really grow not only closer together but also as people.

And the most amazing part is that the kid actors are actually talented. Something extremely rare

I highly recommend it. It's a brilliant movie. You can watch it on youtube (here is the first part)

or here

http://stagevu.com/video/xcihmyneijha

Sadly the quality is not very good since despite the excellence of the film and even some semi big names like Lara Flynn Boyle, Heather Graham and Val Kilmer the movie was marketed very poorly and thus was a commercial failure

The Ultimate Movie Thread Movie_7399_poster
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon May 31, 2010 11:02 am

Ah, thank ya, sir! You had a very awesome choice yourself!

For my next choice, I shall choose The Innocents, my current favorite movie!
In late 19th century England, a woman (Kerr) becomes governess of a small orphan girl living in a lonely stately home occupied only by the child, a housekeeper and a small complement of servants. Her initial misgivings allayed by the child's angelic nature, her anxieties are once more aroused when the girl's brother, equally captivating, is sent home from boarding school for wickedness of some unspecified kind. Eeerie apparitions and inexplicable behavior on the children's part cause her to wonder about the house's history, especially about the fate of the previous governess, Miss Jessel and the former valet, Peter Quint. She fears for the children's souls and for her own sanity. Eventually convinced that there is an unnatural force at work, perverting the innocence of her charges, she sets out to secure the children's salvation by wresting them from its power. Though her struggle reaches a resolution, its real nature and its outcome ultimately remain ambiguous.

I'm not sure if this is the actual trailer they had for it in the 60s, but it's the only one I found..

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am

Copy and paste for the win Smile

Here is a good horror movie. Well it's so much pure horror but it's an excellent movie

Let The Right One In

The Ultimate Movie Thread Let_the_right_one_in_ver3

It is the best vampire movie of all times. Unlike most vampire movies the focus in this one is more on the character development rather then senseless violence or sex. It deals with the friendship between a human boy and a vampire girl. How they bond both on the simple level that is the friendship between children and due to the darkness that lurks inside both of them. And once the community realizes that there is something out there in the darkness they are both faced with a choice

Anyway the movie is brilliant. The plot is great, the actors are superb and the visuals are simply stunning. The directors really managed to capture the beauty of the Scandinavian landscape

This is a must see film(especially before the crappy american remake is ready ) and I highly recommend it. Here is the trailer

and here is the movie itself

http://www.surfthechannel.com/video/63642/143031.html

Last edited by Rex on Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 31, 2010 11:51 am

American's just can't leave alone a good movie without remaking it. Though unless its like the Grudge... or wait. Which Japanese Horror film had the original director film his remake?

But I remember one remake that was completely different. While I didn't particularly enjoy the original, it did a better job with its concept and left a very empty feeling in you. It was the movie where this kid gets sent to this website where it shows a bunch of people sitting alone in their rooms, I think a few try and kill themselves. Slowly everyone sorta starts disappearing and something about Red Tape.

... The remake was just so different.

OK speaking of Japanese Films... and foreign films in General. I thought I post Battle Royale(which also got a crappy remake of sorts.)

Battle Royale

The story is set in a dystopia Japan. The youth of Japan have become rutheless and uncontrollable forcing the Japanese Government to set up a sort of test. Every year a class is chosen and sent to an island where they must compete in 'Battle Royale' the students are then forced to kill one another until there is only one left. (pretty sure I got those minor details right)

Now if you don't mind reading subtitles and like this kind of Horror/action then this is a great movie for you. Basicly the story mainly focuses on 2 characters who fight to survive. One of the characters, the guy, is trying to protect and ensure that his friend, some girl i forget her name, will be the one to stay alive at the end. (that or I am thinking of a different movie.)

Hard to describe it, to me its sorta something you just have to watch.

Trailer

If you click the video it takes you to the youtube page where you can find the full movie in the sidebar. I think its the whole movie anyways, its in 11 parts though. But the quality is terrible, probably best to find it elsewhere. Well its not always bad, but some parts might be hard to read the subtitles.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon May 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Nice one. You really like the classics don't you?

Yep! There's nothin' like the classics! I love your next choice, BTW!

Now for another wonderful classic (Maybe I'll get more current next post...)

Citizen Kane is like the ultimate classic...

The newspaper baron Charles Foster Kane, one of the richest and most powerful men in America if not the world, dies. A newspaperman digs into his past seeking the meaning of his enigmatic last word: "Rosebud." He finds evidence of a child torn away from his family to serve Mammon. Grown into manhood, Charles Foster Kane becomes a newspaperman to indulge his idealism. He marries the niece of the man who will become President of the United States, and gradually assumes more and more power while losing more and more of his soul. Kane's money and power does not bring him happiness, as he has lost his youthful idealism, as has the America he is a symbol for.

And for the trailer!

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon May 31, 2010 4:34 pm

OK... What shall the next movie be? *looks through the lengthy "My movies" list on IMDB*

OK, how about I beat Unit and Rex to Fight Club? I think I will!

A young urban professional who works for a major car manufacturer can't sleep. Although he doesn't have any of the associated afflictions, he stumbles across support groups as a means to let out whatever emotions he is feeling, which in turn is allowing him to sleep. But the use of these support groups is ruined when he meets a young woman named Marla Singer, who is also going to all these support group meetings. Because he knows she too is not afflicted with any of the maladies for which the groups exist, her presence has lessened the impact of the stories he hears. His life changes when he meets a soap manufacturer named Tyler Durden, who in many ways is the antithesis of the insomniac. Due to unusual circumstances with his own condo, the insomniac moves in with Tyler, who lives in a large dilapidated house in an otherwise abandoned part of town. After a bit of spontaneous roughhousing with Tyler in a bar parking lot, the insomniac finds it becomes a ritual between the two of them, which is helping him cope with the other more difficult aspects of his life. The fights also attract a following, others who not only want to watch but join in. Understanding that there are other men like them, the insomniac and Tyler begin a secret fight club. As the fight club's popularity grows, so does its scope in all aspects. Marla becomes a circle not specifically of the fight clubs but of Tyler and the insomniac's collectives lives. As the nature of the fight clubs becomes out of control in the insomniac's view, the insomniac's life, in association, is one where he no longer understands what is happening around him, or how he can get out of it without harming himself.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon May 31, 2010 5:45 pm

Apparently you didn't watch it.

Because you just broke Rule 1 and Rule 2. Razz
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 am

LOL! I love the reference!!
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by secret_life8 Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Rex wrote:Copy and paste for the win Smile

Here is a good horror movie. Well it's so much pure horror but it's an excellent movie

Let The Right One In

The Ultimate Movie Thread Let_the_right_one_in_ver3

It is the best vampire movie of all times. Unlike most vampire movies the focus in this one is more on the character development rather then senseless violence or sex. It deals with the friendship between a human boy and a vampire girl. How they bond both on the simple level that is the friendship between children and due to the darkness that lurks inside both of them. And once the community realizes that there is something out there in the darkness they are both faced with a choice

Anyway the movie is brilliant. The plot is great, the actors are superb and the visuals are simply stunning. The directors really managed to capture the beauty of the Scandinavian landscape

This is a must see film(especially before the crappy american remake is ready ) and I highly recommend it. Here is the trailer

and here is the movie itself

http://www.surfthechannel.com/video/63642/143031.html

rex, i actually just watched that movie. it was so good. definitly a good portrayal of vampires.
secret_life8
secret_life8

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:01 pm

melissa052 wrote:LOL! I love the reference!!

Me too. For some reason it just never gets old for me.

A great movie too. I loved the acting, the fight scenes, and the overall 'wait... whats going on?' moments. The end fight was also done very well.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, the overall movie was wonderfully done! I enjoyed every minute of it...

OK... What movie shall I do next... *Looks at big pile of DVDs next to me* Hm, maybe I love the classics too much, there's not a single movie from past '97 in this pile... And there's like 50 movies in it!

OK I have to do Braveheart!

William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 pm

OK, I think I'll do something a little more current, well, not current, but it's from 2008 (Or 2009?)... I usually HATE movies based off books because they rarely stay true to the book but I absolutely loved 'Marley and Me' and it really did not disappoint me the slightest bit!

After their wedding, newspaper writers John and Jennifer Grogan move to Florida. In an attempt to stall Jennifer's biological clock, John gives her a puppy. While the puppy Marley grows into a 100 pound dog, he loses none of his puppy energy or rambunctiousness. Meanwhile, Marley gains no self-discipline. Marley's antics give John rich material for his newspaper column. As the Grogans mature and have children of their own, Marley continues to test everyone's patience by acting like the world's most impulsive dog.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:26 am

Damn. I wish I could discuss a certain movie. Sadly we don't talk about it Sad

rex, i actually just watched that movie. it was so good. definitly a good portrayal of vampires.

Dude that's awesome. You just bumped Unit from the top of the cool people list Very Happy I was especially impressed with the acting. Eli was amazing. She struck the perfect balance between a truly sad and vulnerable child and gave just the right hints of the predator inside her

I also loved that they didn't rely so much on gore. The scene you probably know which I am talking about was extremely powerful for me especially due to the fact that they don't show it. You can practically feel the powerful savageness of the attack and you get a few hints but you don't see it. Which was amazingly done.

OK I have to do Braveheart!
So fun and so historically inaccurate Laughing

I absolutely loved 'Marley and Me' and it really did not disappoint me the slightest bit!
I am not sure if I can stand watching Jennifer Aniston for 90 minutes. There is just something creepy about that empty stare of hers

Ok and now for a movie. A true classic. One of the hallmarks of modern movie history. And one of the very very few movies in existence to deliver a perfect sequel. I am naturally talking about Alien and the only sequel worthy of the franchise Aliens. I doubt there is anybody here who hasn't watched them or knows what they are about but still. Always fun to reminisce

The Ultimate Movie Thread Alien_movie_poster

When commercial towing vehicle Nostromo, heading back to Earth, intercepts an SoS signal from a nearby planet, the crew are under obligation to investigate. After a bad landing on the planet, some crew members leave the ship to explore the area. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship's computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a call for help. When one of the eggs is disturbed, the crew do not know the danger they are in until it is too late
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Aw, Rex! I was gonna do Alien next! Is that your way of ninja-ing me for me ninja-ing you to Fight Club? (LOL, I just read that back to myself and it sounds funny!)

Ah, well, I guess I'll get animated with The Land Before Time!

The Land Before Time is a 1988 American animated film, directed by Don Bluth (with production based around his Ireland-based studio), and executive-produced by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Originally released by Universal Studios and Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment, it features anthropomorphic dinosaurs living in a somewhat fantasy-based version of prehistoric earth. The plot concerns a young Longneck (Apatosaurus) named Littlefoot, voiced by Gabriel Damon, who is orphaned when his mother is killed by a Sharptooth (Tyrannosaurus). Littlefoot flees famine and upheaval to search for the "Great Valley", an area which has been spared devastation. On his journey, he meets four young companions: Cera, a Three-Horn (Triceratops); Ducky, a Swimmer (Saurolophus); Petrie, a Flyer (Pteranodon); and Spike, a Spike-Tail (Stegosaurus).[2] The film explores issues of prejudice between the different species and the hardships they endure in their journey as they are guided by the spirit of Littlefoot's mother.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtnut Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:13 pm

I watched Land Before Time yesterday.. So sad my favorite character was Ducky Sad so sad what happened to her.
Courtnut
Courtnut

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamgirl18 Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 am

Courtnut wrote:I watched Land Before Time yesterday.. So sad my favorite character was Ducky Sad so sad what happened to her.

I used to love Land Before Time! Smile
dreamgirl18
dreamgirl18
Animal Lover
Animal Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Ok playtime is over. It's time for the best comic based movie of all times. Yes you know what I am talking about.

The Ultimate Movie Thread V

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Right on. The Mist was awesome Smile I especially loved the ending. It's so realistic

Ok now for a true badass movie about real vampires and werewolves. None of this sparkling crap. I present you Underworld

The Ultimate Movie Thread Underworld

I thought about doing a proper plot but why bother. The movie is so badass even the barest of facts are enough

Vampires and Werewolves in a hardcore war. Kate Beckinsale wearing this

The Ultimate Movie Thread Kate_beckinsale_underworld2

You can watch the entire movie for free on Youtube!

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 am

How can you not have seen ! For shame! It's one of the best movie of this of this century!

Best musical? I think not. Here is the best!!

The Ultimate Movie Thread Pimg_751574116504561

Glorious classic film musical. 1927: Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are the darlings of the silent silver screen. Offscreen, Don, aided by his happy-go-lucky friend and piano accompanist, Cosmo Brown, has to dodge Lina's romantic overtures, especially when he falls for chorus girl Kathy Selden. With the advent of sound in motion pictures, it is decided to turn Don and Lina's new film into a "talkie" and a musical at that. The only problem is Lina's voice, which mere words cannot describe. Thus, Kathy is brought on to dub her speaking and singing voice in secret, and Don's on top of the world. But then Lina finds out...

You can watch it here

Singin' in the rain: a free interpretation from Nestor Prado on Vimeo.

Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:59 am

I'm sure there's a lot of movies I haven't seen, it's just few and far between when someone actually brings those up! I will watch it though, promise!

OK, so back to the classics! I have always loved Apocalypse Now!

At the height of the Vietnam war, experienced soldier and covert operative Captain Benjamin Willard withdraws from a drunken and disheveled state to accept his most daring and secretive mission yet. His objective is to travel down the Nyung river by boat and assassinate a Green Beret Colonel named Kurtz who has gone insane deep within the Jungle, and leads his men and a local tribe as a god on illegal guerrilla missions into enemy territory. As Willard and the crew of a Navy PR boat unaware of his objective embark on their journey from the security of civilization into the untamed depths of the jungle, Willard confronts not only the same horrors and hypocrisy that pushed the level headed Colonel Kurtz over the edge into an abyss if insanity, but the primal violence of human nature and the darkness of his own heart.

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:12 pm

You really should!

I've always been meaning to watch this movie. I heard it's one of the best on the subject

And now for the new pick:Pan's Labyrinth. I was really pleasantly surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be some kiddy tale bs that would make me vomit like Narnia but it actually turned out to be really good. The fantasy elements were very well balanced with the fascists

The Ultimate Movie Thread Pan%27s%20Labyrinth%20(4)

Ofelia's love of fairy tales is obvious from the beginning of El Laberinto del fauno. Set in the not so tranquil Spanish woodlands of World War Two, where a small band of anti-fascism rebels are hiding out. This is where Ofelia and her pregnant mother have come to live, in the company of Capitán Vidal, Ofelia's new stepfather and soon to be father of her half-brother. It is with the brutal, unforgiving and totalitarian idealist Capitán Vidal, and his fascist troops, who must weed out these resistance fighters of the hills and woods, that Ofelia finds her release and distraction of the new world order and its warring factions and delves into the older, mysterious and enchanting world of fairies, faun's and giant frogs. Beautiful, charming, graphic and deadly. El Laberinto del fau

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum