Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time traveling!

5 posters

Go down

Time traveling! Empty Time traveling!

Post by melissa052 Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 pm

For some odd reason, I just decided to google time traveling to see if anyone was ever gonna find out how to achieve it in like the next 6 months or so or if maybe it's possible but it's just been kept behind closed doors or something... Here is one of the things I found:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/time-travel.htm
It basically breaks down 3 possible means of time travel and how it could possibly work in the future (Those means being black holes (which I have had my own theories about), wormholes, and cosmic strings)
I also found this which is an article from 2006 of a university of CT professor who predicts time travel will in fact be possible sometime in this century, and he's actually working to build and test a time traveling device (Or was when the article was written 4 years ago...)

So my question is do you believe time travel will be possible one day? If you do, how long do you think it will take to figure it out? If it was figured out in your lifetime, would you wanna try to go back into the past or explore your future or would you shy away from the idea altogether?
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Time traveling! Empty Re: Time traveling!

Post by dreamgirl18 Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 am

I think it will be possible someday, but not while I'm alive. If it was invented in my lifetime, I wouldn't use it. It would freak me out really badly. I believe that everything happens for a reason, so the idea that someone could go back and alter something that could change my entire life would be terrifying for me. And I don't want to know my future. If I knew my future, then it would instantly become different. I just want to go with the flow and let what happens, happen.
dreamgirl18
dreamgirl18
Animal Lover
Animal Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:12 am

I am actually rather against the idea of going back in time. Because we don't know exactly what will happen if we change certain events. Because its impossible to not change something while being in the past... *shrugs*

But I would be glad to go into the future. Not my own future, but rather just the distant future and see what life is like and all that fun stuff. Very Happy

Sometimes I wish I had my very own TARDIS. Sad

On a related note: if we ever figure out how to travel close to the speed of light, you could travel into the future. From my understanding at such speeds you could live a year aboard that spaceship, while in reality decades could pass you by but you only experience that 1 year. Of course everyone you know or cared about will probably be dead if you spent to long at such speeds. Razz
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:23 am

Yeah, going back in time could cause some trouble for the future... I think if I had the chance, I'd just go to give my 15-year-old self a good computer and a video camera, then just come back... that way I'd know my love for film before ever deciding to become a math teacher so I'd probably be a li'l bit further than I am now... And if I went into the future I'd probably just check myself out in 20 years or so just to see how successful I will be around that time...

Uh... What the heck is a TARDIS?
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:47 am

Aww dude you don't know what the TARDIS is?
TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space

Basicly its a time machine, spaceship, and its bigger on the inside then the outside. It can be used to travel to any place in time or well the Universe. Razz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

TARDIS in space
Time traveling! Tardis_2

The Doctor and the TARDIS
Time traveling! Tardis-tennant
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:03 am

Ah... I really should check out Doctor Who sometime... I've been telling my cousin I'd check it out for like a month but still haven't gotten to it, he'll probably hit me in the head with a brick next time I see him if I haven't seen it yet!
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 am

From what I understand there are some theories that you can't go back in time before the time machine you use to travel was invented hence why they are currently no time travelers around.

I also heard that one way to avoid causing time paradoxes is to transport you not back in your own past but to an alternative dimension which is so close that it's almost like home

Anyway time travel should defienetly be kept away from me. If I find some way to shield my loved ones I would wreck chaos with the universe for no other reason then to see what will happen . I am a sucker for the ripple effect
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 am

P.S You guys should read Terry Pratchett . He has one great book Eric(Faust) where the main character accidentally travels back in time and helps create life and destroy a city by accident. It's quite hilarious
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 am

I do not believe in it. Because then, by going back things would have already been changed and we are living in the current time unchanged. I believe it has never been done yet or in the future, because anyone with a heart would have gone back and done away with people like Hitler, Saddam etc. Since no one has done away with those creeps, and others, I do not believe it is possible.

However, it would be cool to go into the future and purchase stocks now. Hee hee. I could not do it though because it would feel like a cheat. Ah well.
scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 am

What makes you think we don't live in a changed time? Hitler was actually very beneficial to the world. If he wasn't so incompetent Germany may have very well won the war and own a big chunk of Europe right now(although one can argue if this would have been better or worse). Also if it wasn't for the atrocities of WW2 it's quite likely that Europe wouldn't have this semi peaceful humanistic thing going as it does now but we would have quite likely been our old bastards self who rape and pillage the world as we see fit(although to be fair it's probably only a matter of time before we revert)

As for Saddam he was actually quite a good leader for the region. His people had far far more freedoms then quite a few other countries in the region. Hell compared to Saudi Arabia it was practically a paradise living under Saddam. And before the Iran Iraq war Iraq was a very successful country for this region

It may not seem like it but quite often major league assholes through their awful deeds steer the world in a better direction. Or at least they are so dumb that life with them is far better off then letting someone competent have this much power
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

scifidawn wrote:I do not believe in it. Because then, by going back things would have already been changed and we are living in the current time unchanged. I believe it has never been done yet or in the future, because anyone with a heart would have gone back and done away with people like Hitler, Saddam etc. Since no one has done away with those creeps, and others, I do not believe it is possible.

However, it would be cool to go into the future and purchase stocks now. Hee hee. I could not do it though because it would feel like a cheat. Ah well.

My opinion and I am as entitled to it as you are. I do not believe in it, end of story.
scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:18 am

*sigh*Time traveling! No
Oh Dawn. Not this again. It's not about entitlment. It's about widening your mind by examining your own arguments and those of others and seeing them in a different light. To imagine all the possibilities. To simply have fun.. I wish you would stop being so insecure. It's just some banter on the internet. You shouldn't take it so seriously
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum