Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question

5 posters

Go down

Question Empty Question

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm

So in light of the first book being published I'm keeping my hopes that it will do semi-well. Well enough that the other 5 will be published following.

That said...I had this idea pop into my head.

First let me explain that 3 books are from Randi's POV. 3 books are from Xavier's POV.

Now, what would you guys think of two sub books. Not so much novels, perhaps novellas. A diary from Randi's POV and one from Xavier's?
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Question Empty Re: Question

Post by maggiemay Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Sounds like a good idea!
maggiemay
maggiemay
Dancer
Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post by tessa419 Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm

I like it! I'm not even into vampire stuff or anything like that and even I cant wait
tessa419
tessa419

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Just out of curiosity but are you attempting to rewrite the events of one book from the PoV of the other?

As for sub books I personally wouldn't. Simply because its just to easy to include such diary like entries within the actual books themselves. There is a series of books by R.A. Salvatore set in the D&D Forgotten Realms Campaign where every so often he will include a Journal like entry from his main character. Usually talking about things the main character is struggling with or observations of the world.

So unless you realy can't fit such Journal/Diary entries into the books themselves, then I would just forget about these companion books and wait until your books are successful.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Unit7 wrote:Just out of curiosity but are you attempting to rewrite the events of one book from the PoV of the other?

As for sub books I personally wouldn't. Simply because its just to easy to include such diary like entries within the actual books themselves. There is a series of books by R.A. Salvatore set in the D&D Forgotten Realms Campaign where every so often he will include a Journal like entry from his main character. Usually talking about things the main character is struggling with or observations of the world.

So unless you realy can't fit such Journal/Diary entries into the books themselves, then I would just forget about these companion books and wait until your books are successful.

Unit, some things from say Randi's POV will be rewritten in Xavier's POV. JUst a few keys details as they're happening. The rest of the book is dedicated to what's going on in his mind and surroundings. (Does that make sense?) Essentially Xavier's books won't be Randi's just rewritten.

As far as the diary idea, in the very first book it can't go in there. This said diary is kind of a lost diary. Randi basically hides it from herself to help her forget a huge part of her life. I want this diary to pop up. But, I'm not exactly where in either of the 6 books (esp not to the first since not only is it out to print but she doesn't remember it yet) it can fit.

I love the idea of this "Lost Diary" but not sure where I can fit it. Not to mention what I have written is a full year of her life. So I'm going to guess though not a full novel, it would reach a novella class.

Ideas?
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:15 pm

To behonest I am not a fan of things done like that. No offense. But I find it easier to just include his PoV in the same book. Nothing that a little Head Hopping can't do what writing a whole novel can. But maybe thats just me.

Well the Diary should have some relevance to which ever book the first resurfaces in. If it is something that you think is vital towards the overall series and plays a part in the books themselves, then I would definitely not do it as a companion book. Atleast not right away. If I need to buy another book outside of the main series to understand something, I am going to be put off.

Now if its information thats just there for an extra, then it being a companion book is fine. Sort of like how JK Rowling did the Bard book and the book about all them creatures. They are fun extra parts of the Potterverse, but you don't need either of them to enjoy the series.

Now if whatever is in the Diary is important to the overall series, or even to just one book, then you could very easily do both. Include the needed excerpts from the Diary into the book and then later when its successful you can try and publish the full Diary.

Just my 2 cents.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Unit7 wrote:To behonest I am not a fan of things done like that. No offense. But I find it easier to just include his PoV in the same book. Nothing that a little Head Hopping can't do what writing a whole novel can. But maybe thats just me.

Well the Diary should have some relevance to which ever book the first resurfaces in. If it is something that you think is vital towards the overall series and plays a part in the books themselves, then I would definitely not do it as a companion book. Atleast not right away. If I need to buy another book outside of the main series to understand something, I am going to be put off.

Now if its information thats just there for an extra, then it being a companion book is fine. Sort of like how JK Rowling did the Bard book and the book about all them creatures. They are fun extra parts of the Potterverse, but you don't need either of them to enjoy the series.

Now if whatever is in the Diary is important to the overall series, or even to just one book, then you could very easily do both. Include the needed excerpts from the Diary into the book and then later when its successful you can try and publish the full Diary.

Just my 2 cents.

Maybe that. I mean, I've worked over 8 years on the series itself so I have lots done. This Lost Diary was something I added to give insight on that part of her life she forced herself to forget.

If they do well, I'm sure it would be up to the publisher on whether or not they would take the Diary.

Or, what about this, while it's popped in my head. In the 3 book, it's all Randi, would it seem strange to have her maybe find the diary and n between chapters have a few diary excerpts? It would just be much longer.

MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:39 pm

It really depends on how its written. But I still think that the Diary and its contents should be somehow important. How it becomes important or related to the story itself is completely up to you.

Though maybe this is just me.

you know you could probably find more experienced writers who can help you and give you better advice on these things at http://www.writingforums.org/index.php its a community of writers in all stages of their writing career. From those who have been published to those who haven't. All of which could offer better advice then myself because many of them really do know what they are talking about. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Unit7 wrote:It really depends on how its written. But I still think that the Diary and its contents should be somehow important. How it becomes important or related to the story itself is completely up to you.

Though maybe this is just me.

you know you could probably find more experienced writers who can help you and give you better advice on these things at http://www.writingforums.org/index.php its a community of writers in all stages of their writing career. From those who have been published to those who haven't. All of which could offer better advice then myself because many of them really do know what they are talking about. lol

lol, I trust that you know what you're talking about too.

The diary is just her thoughts on the part of her life she's trying to forget. The first book she's already forced herself to forget. I'm trying to think of just how important the diary is. You wouldn't need it to enjoy or even understand the books. I only wrote it a few years ago because I kept thinking, "I wonder what cuold have been going through her head" out came the diary.
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Well its up to you either way.

Still recommend joining up on that forum. Lots of great advice. Smile
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Unit7 wrote:Well its up to you either way.

Still recommend joining up on that forum. Lots of great advice. Smile

I may have join. Sounds like it would be of a huge help as much as I love to write.

I know honestly, even if the book doesn't do well, I'll keep writing. I enjoy it way too much.

Thank you, I do appreciate it.
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Yes that place can be alot of help. With those who know what they are doing to lend a helping hand. Also they have a Critique Workshop where for every 2 constructive critiques you make on others writing you can post your own work to recieve your own critques. The idea is to make sure everyone gets something out of it and as you look over other peoples writings and give your opinion and where they can improve and such, you better learn how to go over your own work and such. Very helpful.

Also thats a great attidude to have. You shouldn't let the failure of one book/short story put you off writing. But rather learn why it wasn't so successful and continue trying. Smile

Though I have no doubt that Darkness Falls wont be successful. Razz
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Unit7 wrote:Yes that place can be alot of help. With those who know what they are doing to lend a helping hand. Also they have a Critique Workshop where for every 2 constructive critiques you make on others writing you can post your own work to recieve your own critques. The idea is to make sure everyone gets something out of it and as you look over other peoples writings and give your opinion and where they can improve and such, you better learn how to go over your own work and such. Very helpful.

Also thats a great attidude to have. You shouldn't let the failure of one book/short story put you off writing. But rather learn why it wasn't so successful and continue trying. Smile

Though I have no doubt that Darkness Falls wont be successful. Razz

lol, thank you. I almost spit out my pop today when I was looking at my blog stats. I can log in without it counting me as a viewer and it had over 290 views. The page with the excerpt did incredibly well, it had over 250 of the views. I couldn't believe it.

Did you get a chance to read that short little part?
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Nope not yet. but then I haven't read anything in a couple days. I will get to it.

Which reminds me I have to start reading a novel someone is posting up in their blog. lol

So much stuff to do, and I am just to damn lazy.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Unit7 wrote:Nope not yet. but then I haven't read anything in a couple days. I will get to it.

Which reminds me I have to start reading a novel someone is posting up in their blog. lol

So much stuff to do, and I am just to damn lazy.

People keep telling me laziness gets you nowhere...lol...sometimes I prefer lazy.
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamgirl18 Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 am

Semi-well? Are you kidding? There's going to do AMAZING! You're not going to be able to tell someone your name without them saying "THE Trista Jaszczak?!" Very Happy

I think that's a great idea about the diaries! I'm not into the whole vampire fad at ALL, and yet I can't wait for your books to come out! Very Happy

Congratulations, again! Very Happy
dreamgirl18
dreamgirl18
Animal Lover
Animal Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:55 am

dreamgirl18 wrote:Semi-well? Are you kidding? There's going to do AMAZING! You're not going to be able to tell someone your name without them saying "THE Trista Jaszczak?!" Very Happy

I think that's a great idea about the diaries! I'm not into the whole vampire fad at ALL, and yet I can't wait for your books to come out! Very Happy

Congratulations, again! Very Happy

Thank you for saying that!! And, even if it is that huge, I know I'll still be on this forum! Very Happy I've got this idea for the diary. I'm giving it a trial run to mix it in with Randi's book Smile
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum