Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A 200,056 word manuscript

2 posters

Go down

A 200,056 word manuscript Empty A 200,056 word manuscript

Post by MrsJazz Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 pm

I think I need to stop and cut details out of this thing. I only had one more chapter before the end, but I think this is just too much.

Unit, what do you think?
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

A 200,056 word manuscript Empty Re: A 200,056 word manuscript

Post by Unit7 Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:38 pm

First off you should comb through the manuscript and remove any and all unneeded information. Make sure all character description is actually needed. Because in most fiction, you will actually notice how little physical description is mentioned and is usually straight to the point.(keep in mind with only a few scenes from Hunted, I don't generally know your style of sorts)

Also cut out any scenes that are not vital to the actual plot. Wait... weren't you just at 70k less then a week ago? But anyways if the scene isn't really needed I would remove it. Not completely delete it, as you could end up doing what JK Rowling did and put certain removed scenes on her website, or like they do with DVD extras.

So if the scene doesn't advance the plot or use for Character Development it could probably either go completely or trim it up.

Also you can also try finding shorter ways to to say things.

Because you seemed to have rushed through it make sure that you didn't leave any open plot lines. I know I have written a few scenes and given details that later would be forgotten by the time I finished(if I were to finish it) So removing plot lines that were never really followed through with should be removed.

So any unneeded scenes, description that's not needed, and finding shorter ways to describe things will help trim it down.

Though if this is the third novel, and assuming the first and second sell well. You might not have to worry about the word count as much. But it does sorta depend on the publishers.

Of course it might help if you had a second pair of eyes that are not so connected with the series. Sometimes other people can spot whats needed and whats not. So if you know someone you trust, who is an avid reader or writer, it might be worth getting their opinion on this.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:01 pm

This is the 3rd novel, the 2nd in Randi's set. Course this is kind of the big one. She...hmm, hoe can I put it without giving so much away...she makes two huge choices in her life that leads her to a completely different place and on one increidble journey.

I suppose I could cut a few chapters that I had intended to use a key points in her next book and just save those for the next one. I don't know how it ended up being that long. I didn't expect to go over 100,000 which is what the first is close to.

Thank you!
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:11 am

MrsJazz wrote:

I suppose I could cut a few chapters that I had intended to use a key points in her next book and just save those for the next one. I don't know how it ended up being that long. I didn't expect to go over 100,000 which is what the first is close to.

Thank you!

Well if the scenes better fit in a different book, its probably best to put them there. While I suppose a series of books will have to rely on the books that came before it, I wouldn't put major chapters/events type thing that play a bigger role in a book further ahead. of course this might be purely my own style. Of course if they somehow work for both books then... well then it can go either way really. But just my thoughts on that.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJazz Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:33 pm

I got it down to about 150,000 words now. But when I read it I feel as though there are some gaping holes for some reason. Maybe because I knew what was there before. Hm. Still 150,000 is a lot. Average novels are between, what...75,000 and 125,000?
MrsJazz
MrsJazz
Air Force Wife
Air Force Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:46 pm

MrsJazz wrote:I got it down to about 150,000 words now. But when I read it I feel as though there are some gaping holes for some reason. Maybe because I knew what was there before. Hm. Still 150,000 is a lot. Average novels are between, what...75,000 and 125,000?

Not sure the average. All I really know is that for unknown authors trying to get published should stick between about 80k and 120k words. I suppose considering you already having a publisher in line for it, and if things go great(which I have a good feeling) it wont really be much of an issue.

I want to both recommend and not recommend something. As I don't know how the publisher would view it because the book isn't even available yet. but you could ask the publishers about this.

As for feeling ga0s and holes in it, I can understand that. Its almost why I never try and change something that I consider 'set in stone' when it comes to my writing. If I were to alter it to much, I know it would feel... incomplete almost. Even when something isn't I have a hard time myself removing something because I believe everything fits perfectly. Even when something could very easily be removed or has no real purpose. Its annoying.

But this manuscript really is in its early stages. You got the story down and now you need to go over it carefully looking through. Also if you can get a reader who can be unbiased to run through it, it might help. Because maybe it feels like this because it really is in parts. Then again maybe it is just on your end. I don't say that to be mean or anything. Its just I could easily see myself falling into this.

But continue going over it and making sure your precieved gaps interfere with the flow of the story and make it hard to understand or not. Again, getting someone who can be honest about it to read it, would help alot.

Also again I would recommend maybe getting some input on the writing forum I linked you too. As the members there will probably have better advice on such things.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum