Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD

3 posters

Go down

UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD Empty UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD

Post by melissa052 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:59 am

So, I was lying in bed, minding my own business when my brain literally started ambushing me with this incredibly awesome yet incredibly tragic idea for a story came to mind. And right now I'm trying to plan it out.

A major part of this story is writing unsent letters and a few journal entries. I was just wondering what the best approach for writing letters within a novel as part of the narrative would be? I mean I know in a screenplay, it can be shown and told in a voiceover, but novels aren't that simple. XD
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD Empty Re: UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD

Post by Unit7 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 am

Oh crap I actually forgot. Well one method is to just simply have a character read out the journal entry. Which... you know is the same as a voice over. Except you know not actually a voice.

Ok I looked it up. When including journal entries, letters, or newspaper articles you should put them in Block Quotations.

You could also write them in bold/italics. But keep in mind that many people find reading italics in large amounts of text to be annoying. Personally I have grown to hate italics because of this. I find them often unnecessary.

But thats just me. you should look up Block Quotations for the proper formating.

Good luck writing. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD Empty Re: UNIT! I can really use you're help. XD

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Well, I know I am not the addressee, but for starters, if you wanna start writing, I'd recommend learning the difference between your and you're. Wink

You should read some examples of what you're trying to do... Since he's basically all I read, all that's coming to mind is Stephen King. Have you read Carrie? (Other than for examples of letters and stuff within the text, I don't recommend it... Great story, but just watch the movie. It's his first book, so it's CRAP!) Or if you don't wanna read a whole book, you should read Survivor Type, a short story in Skeleton Crew.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure both those examples are only letters and stuff. That's exactly how the stories are told... I don't think there's any traditional narration in either. So that may be of no help, assuming you only want little inserts of letters in the rest of the text.
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks, Unit! Thought it'd be something like that. XD

And Hannah,,, It was like 4AM when I posted the thread. Sue me! :p
But yeah... I was thinking of having it be a combo of a narrative and expository, especially since the majority of the letters are written over summer. Thought the first and third parts (Junior and senior year for the two main girls) could be narrative, since they're the plot-filled parts, then the second part can be a collection of all the letters Annie wrote but never sent.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down