Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion and your parents

+8
brown eyes sp
xChorusOfAngelsx
Rex
jessixxfan
PiperC!
Malletmusic17
melissa052
Hannah_Banana222
12 posters

Go down

Religion and your parents Empty Religion and your parents

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Have your parents (or any other role model in your life) influenced your religious beliefs? How so?

Do you belong to the same religion as your parents?

If they believed something completely different than they do, do you think you would have the same religious beliefs that you have now, or would you mimmick them?

Have your parents allowed you to choose a religion for yourself? Are they accepting of your religious differences?
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Religion and your parents Empty Re: Religion and your parents

Post by melissa052 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Nope.

Nope.

It really depends... If she was something like Buddhist, then chances are I'd mimmick. But if it's anything like Christian or any of the western religions that really make no sense to me, then I'd be same....

Yep... But my family is super accepting with just about everything, so it's natural.... Plus mom's Wicca, which isn't so... uh... normal? Anyways....

melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Malletmusic17 Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:45 pm

nope
yep
yeah I'm sure I would keep my religion I have now
yupp. I mean, they wanted my brother and I to be Christian, they never expressed it but I knew they did. and I didnt become Christian just to please them, I became Christian to please myself and to have something to hold onto. especially now-a-days, where the whole world is kinda looking grim, I have something I can believe in. they just asked me what I believed and I said i believed in God. that was kinda it.
Malletmusic17
Malletmusic17
Percussion Babe
Percussion Babe

http://musicxlifenlove17.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:07 pm

No.
I don't belong to a religion and neither does my mom. My dad is trickier. I wouldn't say he is an atheist, but regardless, he is a pretty bad catholic, like most.
I would not believe even if my mother and brother did. I came to this conclusion my something other than what is influenced by that.
My parents have never forced me into belief and are accepting of all of them, especially my beliefs on religion. lol
Other family, however, are not as reasonable. So I just cringe and let let them live on in their craziness. ha ha

Last edited by PiperC! on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by jessixxfan Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:23 pm

nope...my mom and brother are catholic and my dad, well he used to be an atheist. he is starting to read the bible on his own. i never became a catholic because when i was a baby my parents tried to baptize me but the church they went to turned me away because my parents didn't marry in the church. so my mom never pushed us to go to church when growing up. i believe in God but i don't find it necessary to be a part of one religion. =P
jessixxfan
jessixxfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Have your parents (or any other role model in your life) influenced your religious beliefs? How so?
Well the biggest influence in my childhood when it comes to ways of thinking would be the Wheel of Time books. They inspired me to think a lot more critically however when it comes to actual live humans...hmm not really.The closest anyone ever came to influencing them was my philosophy teacher but that's mostly due to the fact that she was the only one who actually encouraged us to discuss or you know even think about spiritual beliefs

Well technically I am registered as a Christian so I guess yeah

If they believed something completely different than they do, do you think you would have the same religious beliefs that you have now, or would you mimmick them?
Yeah I am pretty sure I wouldn't. I am not really much for mimicking. In fact whenever someone suggests anything to me the very first thing I do is think of an alternative

Have your parents allowed you to choose a religion for yourself? Are they accepting of your religious differences?
My parents are like most people here. Religion is not really regarded as religion as in something to believe in. It's more of a tradition. You go to church on special days for the celebrations, you cook some special meals for Christmas or Easter but apart from this religion doesn't really cross your mind

especially now-a-days, where the whole world is kinda looking grim
Actually the world is better then ever. It looks grim mostly due to the media and internet. Especially internet. Bad stuff sells better and on the internet it gets you more viewers and more comments which turns into more cash. Hence why everybody is projecting negativity. Otherwise in the entire history of making there hasn't been a period of so much, peace,tolerance and success(well apart from the entertainment industry where it gets worse) as there is in our current life time
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree, our social issues seem puny compared the the ones in the past.
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Have your parents (or any other role model in your life) influenced your religious beliefs? How so?
No. To be honest, I'm not sure what I believe. It's because of this that I haven't really decided on a religion. I want to believe in something on my own, not because of what someone I look up to says.

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Do you belong to the same religion as your parents?
Technically, I suppose. Raised Catholic, or some form of it I should say. Neither of my parents go to church, my mom dragged me until I was about 10 but we stopped going. Made my first communion, but never confirmed myself because I don't believe in the majority of the teachings.

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:If they believed something completely different than they do, do you think you would have the same religious beliefs that you have now, or would you mimmick them?
I would follow my own beliefs, like I'm trying to do now.

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Have your parents allowed you to choose a religion for yourself? Are they accepting of your religious differences?
They don't care. I was steered toward Catholicism, but they know I've drifted away. My aunt would be more disapproving, she's one of those hardcore Jesus Freak Catholics, the closed minded kind. She yelled at me when I first stayed at my boyfriend's apartment overnight...When I was almost 20.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by brown eyes sp Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:01 pm

I was raised in the Methodist Church because my dad was a minister, but I no longer consider myself a Christian. My dad is still Christian, though no longer a minister, and my mom is what most people would call agnostic.

From when I was eleven until I was about fifteen I was a strong Christian, but around my sophomore year of high school I started doubting Christianity and the things it claimed to stand for. For example, I started thinking I was attracted to women as well as men around then, but because Christianity said being gay/lesbian/bisexual was wrong I felt like I was a bad person and like there was something wrong with me instead of accepting that part of myself.

When I started getting more into science and philosophy, I started to find that the existence of a God was not a logical necessity. I have been an atheist ever since.

My mom accepts what I believe because she has always encouraged my brother and me to explore new ideas, telling us that it mattered more to be good people than to belong to any particular religion. My dad is not very accepting of it, but I don't really care about his opinion much because we aren't very close.
brown eyes sp
brown eyes sp

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:03 pm

My parents are not religious whats so ever. I sometimes wonder what they believe. Lol My parents wanted me to be a Muslim just like them, but I hope to become better one, because I don't think they practice the religion nicely.Lol I don't thin that answer the question you had, but whatever.

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMC Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 pm

My parents are not religious. They told me that they would never force religion upon me. I was free to choose my religion. I will do the same with my kids. As they get older and they want to get involved in church and religion, they are free to do so.
AshleyMC
AshleyMC
Super Mom
Super Mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Theodore Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Hannah_Banana222 wrote:Have your parents (or any other role model in your life) influenced your religious beliefs? How so?

Indeed they have. They thought me the right way

Of course

I would like to think that I would have the wisdom to find the right path again

Faith is not something that is allowed or chosen. It's something which is discovered

Theodore

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:13 am

Hello, Theodore! Welcome! I too try to be a person of G*d. I do not always succeed, but He is in my heart.
scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down