Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition*

2 posters

Go down

Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition* Empty Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition*

Post by Unit7 Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:24 am

Where to begin? I think I have said all that I need to say about Legend of Seeker in the previous editings. However just because I love writing lengthy reviews that ramble on about the stories I love and just as equaly I loathe, I think it will be fitting to write a full review for Legend of the Seeker.

To those who love Fantasy I have only this to say: This is pure magic. It is an epic story that has kept me wanting more and more. If you love fantasy then you are doing yourself a great disservice by not watching this series.

The story begins with Kahlan and her sister racing against D'haran soldiers. Kahlan reaches the border between two countries that have been sealed away from eachother for well as long as anyone can care to remember. On the other side of the border Richard Cypher, a guide and guard for traveling caravans, is building a bridge that was washed away. Though in full honesty his life before becoming the Seeker is rather bleak. Only through small snipits do you really learn anything.

The first scene with Richard pretty much sums up his character. Richard is the guy who will go to any length to help people. Whether its a little kid who just witnessed an entire village being killed by Banelings, to helping someone who had betrayed him. He is the Heroes's Hero.

Upon learning that he is not only a Seeker, he is the True Seeker. A True Seeker in essence is someone born already a Seeker. A Seeker is someone who fights against Evil, seeks the Truth and Justice. A Hero to vanquish the ills of the world.

Richard joins Kahlan, a Confessor. Zedd, First Class Wizard and crazy Chicken guy who Richard once feared would eat him when he was a little kid and travel across the Midlands trying to kill Darkan Rhal an evil tyrant bent on taking over as much of the world as possible. That is basic idea of Season 1.

The characters in this story are anything but flat and boring. Each character is full of depth that makes you almost believe you are watching fiction and not some historic documentry. When the characters are in serious trouble, you watch in anticipation.

Richard Cypher: As I said, he will go to any length to help someone. Doesn't matter who it is or what they have done, if he believes their is some good in them chances are he is going to have to pause his quest for a day or so.

Kahlan Amnell: She is one of the few remaining Confessors in the Midlands(is that the right name?) it is her job to protect the Seeker as he completes the Prophecy fortolled. She uses two daggers in battle and the power to Confess people. Which takes away their free will and they fall in love with them. A confessors job is to make sure the laws of the land are being upheld and to confess those who have been punished to death so they can... well confess. Also she is hot.

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: He is one of a few First Class Wizards left in the world. He is also the most powerful Wizard in over three thousand years. But aside from his sometimes awesome display of magic, he is also well known in Hartland for being the crazy guy who talks to his Chickens. He is also known for seemingly making up Rules for the Seeker. Was a tad bit annoyed that this joke was quickly dropped. Just once I would have loved it if Richard would respond 'Isn't that Rule number 83 or 35?' well in the later episodes.

In Season 2 we get a new companion, who is a Mord Sith, someone who as a child was abducted and tortured to the brink of death and infused with dark magic that would leave them as a cold hearted shell of their former selves. They only seek to please the current Lord Rhal.

Cara- Cara starts off as a regular Mord Sith. After joining up with Richard you slowly begin to see her transition between a cold hearted Mord Sith to someone with actual feelings and emotions. Some of my favorite scenes with her in them(aside from her kicking serious butt) were when she was more Human then Mord Sith. Especially with the Night Wisps episode. Her transition in my opinion was great.

The Humor and the Dark.

The series features episodes that fall into the extreme humor side and the Dark side. What I mean is that some episodes have some absurd and really weird and humorus plots. While some Dark Elements creep into them, its mostly light hearted stuff. Their is also another more Fairy Tale like story. Its an episode well worth seeing even if its the only one you might. Its called Puppeteer.

Season 1 tends to be more light hearted and humorous then that of Season 2. While it has plenty of dark elements all over the place(such as Darkan Rhal ordering all First Borns to be killed within one city) Season 2 is much more darker and I suppose that has to do with the idea of the Keeper of the Underworld trying to destroy all life.

The magic involved in the series is varied and interesting. From mirrors that can change the appearance of anyone, to the Confessors ability, to Wizard's Fire. One of Zedd's favorite. Season 1 has a bunch of these magical artifacts throughout the season. Often causing more trouble then probably the creators intended.

One thing I truly love about this series is the love story. It is revealed that a Confessor must hold their power in check at all times and to let go of that would confess anyone she was touching. Pure and simple what this means is this: She can never have sex with someone without confessing them(though I wonder... what would happen if the guy was... well bad in bed) It becomes quite obvious towards the begining of the series that Richard and Kahlan are in love. But because she is a confessor they can never really be together. But what I liked about this struggle they both had to deal with. Richard's actions after learning that he could never be with her make him easily one of my favorite characters in fiction. While not said directly. I got the impression that he would willingly spend the rest of his life with her even if it meant they could never get married and have children. What also makes him one of my favorite characters is because there are instances where he could overcome the problem of being confessed by accident and instead gives whatever would protect him away if someone else could use it(hard to explain to anyone who isn't overly familiar with the story lines)

Though why they never bothered to keep one of those Wizard Collars around is beyond me. They come into one every few episodes it seems. I mean sure its ugly, but surely Zedd could make it appear more elegant... Oh well.

Maybe it was just me, but I found the whole love story to be one of the best aspects of the series. I enjoyed watching them fall in love, to struggle with it, to try and protect one another. I honestly don't think it would have been nearly as great if it wasn't for the actors. I think the casting person did a great job otherwise the love story would have probably been a tedious thing that you want to fast forward through. But for me it was perfect and didn't find it to be to much or to little. It was a perfect balance.

Season 2 and Death.

Season 2 starts about a week or so after the fall of Darkan Rhal. It is revealed that Darkan Rhal had torn the veil between the Living and the Underworld. The Keeper of the Underworld wages war and starts giving the dead an option of becoming a baneling. Which is someone who has come back from the dead in order to kill for the Keeper. Richard starts on a Quest to obtain the Stone of Tears to seal the Underworld forever. Meanwhile a prophecy says that Richard Cypher will fail in his quest. Dun Dun DUNNN!!

When I first learned that a Mord Sith, who has the ability to bring back the recently killed, I thought "well their goes any worry about them dying!" but I suppose that was sorta the point of Season 2. That death became more or less pointless. Anyone who died in Season 2 had an option to make a deal with the Keeper. If you kill 1 person for everyday, you get to live. So for the most part Death was more of a means to explore the characters. What would they do? Would they take the deal? Why would they take the deal? Also was it worth taking the deal for the reasons? So after I realized this it didn't bug me so much that anyone dying within Cara's reach could be revived.

The Finale and the Prophecies.

When I first learned from Shota that a new seeker would have to be named. I was angry. I mean come on! This is Richard he wont fail! So I quickly adopted his philosophy on Prophecies and said to hell with them.

What really bugged me about the prophecies were the interpetations and how most of them seem to be wrong. If the Sisters of Light had kept Kahlan hostage as they wanted to. The Keeper would win. Didn't matter much that she was still alive. If they had kept Richard from his Quest, as they also intended. How EVERYONE(including someone claiming to be the Creator) wanted to prevent Richard from going through. If they got their way. If he had stayed at the Hall of Prophets. The Keeper would Win.

Or wait. You know what? Screw it. They could have named a new seeker and continued on with the quest and could have avoided the whole Keeper in Boy form tricking him. Of course I would then have to wonder would a new seeker be able to even get so far? You know what I say to hell with Prophecies! lol

The Ending.

I loved it. Once again I am shown how much of a romantic I truly am. I was thrilled to learn that Kahlan couldn't confess Richard. I suppose when they were back where the Stone of Tears was originaly he was right and that they were different.That he couldn't be more in love with Kahlan if he had been confessed. Then again thats what that other Seeker once thought...

So I am happy to learn that Richard and Kahlan would be able to be together in the end. Yay!

Now to go to a bar and start a bar fight to make myself feel more manly. Twisted Evil

A great series. Smile

Last edited by Unit7 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition* Empty Re: Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition*

Post by Rex Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:41 am

My pleasure Smile

If you think Denna is good you should wait to see Cara*. Not only is she hotter and much more hmmmm well I guess the closest word to describe her would be very horny and violent but she also subscribes to the dual wielding Wink And it's not just when it comes to weapons that she goes both ways if you get what I mean Very Happy

Then we also have Nicci. This is Nicci

Spoiler:

Lol yes the weapons are a bit interestingly shaped but in the show's defense this is based on a book series. Iif you decide to read the series I recommend you stop halfway through. The series starts very well but it's get progressively worse until at the end it becomes complete crap comparable to the worse fanfiction you can find on the web with all cliches like mary sues, self insertion and so on

Lol I am glad to see that I have trained you well Wink But yeah you should but only when you have a lot of free time and no serious plans because Wheel Of Time can become quite addicting and I think you might be one of those of us who does get addicted to it .And just to lure you once again in the last book of WoT we got reincarnating zombies. Yes you heard right. Reincarnating zombies Very Happy

And here is Cara Wink
Spoiler:
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition* Empty Re: Legend of the Seeker: Full Review *Final Edition*

Post by Unit7 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Hmm then I look forward to meeting Cara. Horny, violent, hot, dual wielding. I think I found my dream girl. Very Happy Looking forward to Nicci aswell!

Yeah but still that weapon of hers was just... wow. lol

Hmm I wll have to keep that in mind when I get to reading them. Sucks to hear that the series deteriorates into some bad fanfiction though.

Reincarnated Zombies? Well now I am more then interested. Can't go wrong with any sort of zombies in my book. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:28 pm

I am such a romantic sometimes. Been watching more of Legend of the Seeker and just finished the episode where they come to the Crypt of Whatsitsface and they learn the truth of the Seeker before Richard. Sucks that as of right now it seems like they could never get together. That not only would Richard lose is Free Will if they were to be together but also have the potential of being a evil that would rival Darkan Rahl himself.

Of course I spoiled myself intentionaly for the book series and turns out they can be together anyways. Besides I know how these stories end up. Someway, somehow the hero always gets the girl. Almost anyways, there was one case where they both killed themselves...

That and another where both were doomed to live in seperate worlds for the rest of their life. To be in love with someone you can never have. I hate endings like that.

EDIT:

lol I knew I had seen the actor who played Darken Rhal before. In fact I remember looking up an actor once before and saw that he had a role in Legend of the Seeker. I had no idea he also played Claudius(sp) Glaber from Spartacus.

Still not sure what other role I saw the actor in. Perhaps it was just on the TV and he was mentioned as playing Darken Rahl. o.O

Hell who knows if it was even that same character/actor. Oh well.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Well if you read the Wheel of Time series you will see a third approach to the conundrum of being with the one you love despite inherent problems. And I think as a man you will agree that it's the best one Wink Although don't spoil yourself on this one. It's really fun

Oh you are getting close to some really fun episodes. I think you are 13th now. I suggest you hurry up and get to 15th. It has some really good moments and you get to see Kahlan really kick ass. I mean serious ass kicking that makes Richard look like a helpless little puppy in comparison

No way. Now that you mentioned he really does seem familar. I can't believe I haven't noticed before

No no. Not reincarnated zombies. Reincarnating zombies Wink
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Dont worry I wont spoil myself on it. I rarely try and spoil myself, but for some reason I couldn't resist.

Actually I am on the 15th one right now. Hmm Kahlan kicking more ass? I will have to remind myself not to wander to much on the Internet!

Yeah I know. He also had a part in the Underworld series(though not sure which character he played) and some role in Lord of the Rings. But I just can't remember where I had seen him before, well aside from Spartacus. Oh well.

Oh my bad. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Finished episode 18, where those thieves use that mirror to look like Richard and Kahlan. I was wondering, and almost dreading this episode. It's one of those types of episodes that seem almost enevitable with this type of show. So its one that has to be done really well.

Well I loved it. It definitely allowed the actors involved to show their talent. The ending with Bianca trapped in Zedd's body was hillarious. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Wow found another person who was in both Spartacus and Legend of the Seeker. The actress who played Jensen also played that one blonde guy's wife. lol
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 am

Already at Season 2? Nice. How do you like it so far ?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Rex wrote:Already at Season 2? Nice. How do you like it so far ?

Season 2 is great so far. Well the way it became so dark was a bit of a surprise. For some reason Richard bugged me during the first couple episodes into the second season. While the first season had its dark moments, alot of the episodes were more light hearted. But season 2 is just as great in its own way.

I am really liking Cara's character. The way she got that one dude with the magic rune on his hand to show her where the locket was was hillarious. I also like how she isn't completely cold hearted. While she truely doesn't give a damn about anyone, the way she wants to serve Richard seems to be more then the fact that he is her rightful king. When Kahlan learned of her sister's death and Cara was sent away, there was a brief moment where she seems more hurt by being turned away. Even before that when she learned in the future Darkan Rhal's son would do to her Sisters, enraged her. Which I take it was more to do with someone once again rejecting her and not so much that her sister's were dead. Turns out she was just a girl with daddy issues...

What was also really great was seeing and hearing a Mord Sith's view on their 'training' Since they were first introduced we knew how they came to be. Being tortured to near death, being forced or convinced to kill their fathers. How they take sweet innocent girls and break them and mold them into killers. We have seen a few characters almost doomed to this fate. But the episode where Cara was on trial made the whole thing more... horrifying.

Also watched the episode where Kahlan learns she is the last aside from Anabelle(who looks really familiar but I can't place her) and how all Anabelle only wanted to see the world, to fall in love, to get married. Sorta wished Richard would have broken the whole Confessed bit on his own... *sigh* oh well. Great episode though.

Oh one more episode I want to comment on. Zedd really WAS a person who showed off his magic in his youth. Sorta forget how powerful Zedd really is... what with creating a Castle in seconds, making coins fall from the sky, and with Shota being able to move the moon. They really weren't exaggerating how powerful they would be together... lol

EDIT:
1) Mord Sith's look just as hott in White as they do Red.
2) I was right about what it would mean if Richard accepted the throne. He would be embracing the One In Red. His clothing was mostly of red when that General possessed his body. 1 Unit7 0 Shota. xD
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Just watching the episode where Cara has to impersonate a Princess.

Good to know the series didn't lose this kind of humor. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:16 am

Yeah Richard also annoyed me a little at the begging.

And Cara really was the high light of season 2 for me. It's rare that I find such well written character. She manages to stay herself and yet evolve at the same time. Usually shows deal very badly with bad chaarcters turned good but with Cara you can really see the natural progression and how she forms new bonds with the group. It's great Wink

And lol yeah I loved her as a princess
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 pm

For me I think it was the sudden shift in character. He was always seemed honorable and more often then not, happy. But in the first couple episodes there seemed to be no trace of that and was more angry then anything.

The transistion she is definitely fun to watch. It feels natural. Its annoying sometimes when the Bad Guy turns Good because of how poorly its done. Cara is one of the few I know of that's been well written. She definitely remains the same, but there are moments where you can see her change.

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down