Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

2 posters

Go down

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Empty Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post by Unit7 Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm

So I finally got around to watching this... uh... movie? Yeah thats what it was supposed to be.

Lets start off with my love for Harry Potter. The Sorcerer's Stone single handedly led me down the path for my love of reading. I can remember sitting in that stupid circle in first grade stumbling over every bloody word as we had to read aloud. Aside from simple books I didn't read much and then my Third Grade Teacher read Sorcerer's Stone to the class. If it wasn't for her reading this, I may never have actually read the book my aunt got me that Christmas. Which was Sorcerer's Stone. It wasn't a very much a love at first sight type of thing. It actually wasn't until later did I actually really start to read. But I read those books or tried to. I tend to start and stop alot of the things I do.

So when I say I love the Harry Potter series and think its probably one of the better series since slice bread, keep in mind why. Aside from the fact that I do genuinly love the series and characters.

I remember watching the first movie in the theater. My Aunt and Uncle(different aunt btw) took my sister and I to the movies as a present. A little kid seeing one of his favorite books on the big screen? Yeah it was an epic night with Dairy Queen at the end of it.

Overall the first 2 movies were actually pretty good. I suppose this has something largely due to the fact that they are smaller books compared to the sequels. This means they can get away with cutting some of the fans favorite scenes. Because lets face it. They really do have only 2 hours or so to tell the story. It was the Third Movie did I really start to notice how much was cut. Thus I was sad. Though I enjoyed the movie I think it was alsot he one that planted the firm belief that "Books almost always pwn movie adaptations." The Fourth was also butchered all to hell, but still enjoyable at times. Oh how the fans wept for Cedric in the movie... and oh how many of them rewind that scene over and over again watching as he dies over and over again. Twisted Evil Well those who hate Twilight and Edward anyways. Moving on!

Fifth I enjoyed. Again it butchered things beyond recognition and obliterating all my favorite and many other favorites scenes. But I like how they handled the whole Umbridge thing and her Rules and such and all of it. Though I am still very very pissed that they did not have uh... that Poltergiest guy. Why can't I think of his name? I would have bought another ticket just to see Fred and George tell Peeves(ha! I googled it...) to give them hell as they fled Hogwarts. Seriously! That was perhaps my favorite line in the entire book. But because someone decided to cut him from the movie series entirely, it just wouldn't have been the same if they decided to throw him in it anyways.

Now. Lets move on to Half Blood Prince. I loved this book. How Harry became obsessed with Draco and wanting to know so badly what the hell he was up to. I loved how Harry was starting to realize his feelings for Ginny...(yes I am a HarryxGinny shipper!) and I loved learning more about Tom Riddle aka Voldemort. I also loved the scene where Harry and Ginny first kiss and how Harry looks over to Ron and how Ron's facial expression is described like "Well if you must..." Draco and Snape's flight from Hogwarts was also fun to read. Appirition! Oh yes! I loved reading as they tried to tackle this!

So the movie came around and pretty much since the Second Movie I haven't been to pleased. But I am a fan, I did enjoy most of the movies for the most part, so why not?

Well overall it sucked. I mean its enjoyable sure but... when you compare it to the book its just horribly horrible. I'd rather [insert something the Angry Video Game Nerd would rather do then play shitty video games]

My First Complaint: The complete lack of memories regarding Voldemort and his History. In the book we are treated to quite a few memories telling the story of Tom Riddle. In fact some of these memories are VITAL in Deathly Hollows!! In the movie we see 2. 1 where Dumbledore first meets Tom Riddle and the second dealing with Horcruxes. Thats it, nothing more to see which pissed me off. Mostly because one of the major things within the story are these memories!

Then there is the Half Blood Prince himself. Ok I was thoroughly angered that Ginny didn't scold him ONCE for following the instructions in the potions book. Hell not ONE person commented on it at all. Which is odd, very very odd, considering Tom Riddle's Diary is CLEARLY seen either shortly before or shortly after he recieves the potions book. Now if you don't know or have some how forgotten. In the second Book/Movie Ginny used Tom Riddle's Diary to get her feelings out and to have someone to talk to. The more she told it, the more power it possessed her. Which led her to do some horrible things. Sorta.

There was an instance in the movie where Ginny does give Harry a disgusted look and throws the potions book at him. But... really? No one comments on it? No one brings up what happened only 4 years ago? In the book I am pretty sure this was brought up. So this was a giant disapointment. Especially considering they could have focused less on the romance(heh remember this in a minute or so) and thrown in the line 'You remember what happened with Tom Riddle's Diary?' and have Ginny storm out of the room.

Another thing that bugged me is that they didn't elaborate on Harry and Ginny(god I am such a loser I was looking forward to that kiss. In my defense! Read the begining of this post k?) Between the Cursing and the Posioning, and all the obsession with Draco that Harry had to deal with, he found some measure of peace and happyness. Namely through Ginny. Could it really have hurt them to atleast throw in some small montage of them being happy? I mean they did throw in some great scenes with them together being awkward and such but... yeah. They could have replaced that scene with Harry in the Diner with that Muggle Girl who(who was fairly hot) and cut that out. Was that even in the novel? NO!... wait was it? Well it could have been replaced by some HarryxGinny stuff.

Now speaking of things not in the book... what the hell happen to the Burrow? If I remember correctly Harry and Ron spend the Holiday at the Burrow because they are unsure if the Order of the Phoenix HQ is still well... safe. Its here that the New Prime Minister of Magic visits Harry.

Dude speaking of which... why couldn't they have added that scene? It was so awesome hearing Whats His Face telling Britian's Minister about the crap thats going on is actually the work of Dark Wizards. Now here is something they needed more then HarryxGinny(well sorta...) We do see some images of Death Eaters being... well Death Eaters. But it should have been expanded beyond that. It should have been compiled with The PM of Magic telling the PM about it. Showing Death Eaters causing some serious problems.

Why? Because well part of the greatness of the Book itself is how Voldemort is causing chaos in the Muggle World. *sigh* oh well. Oh Freaking Well. >.<

Back to the Burrow. What was the point? Seriously? It wasn't in the book, but they decided to throw it in anyways?

It was also really disapointing for what it was. If it was me? I would have had Ginny do some serious fighting and then sorta get over powered(as there were like 3 or so Death Eaters about in the Corn Field. Dude there should have been a Gnome in there... just sorta in the background. But I digress... again) Then I would have had Harry come into the Rescue(this is where her kicking some serious butt comes in. Because she isn't some damsal in distress...) and yeah. When Fenrir had her in his sights, well thats when I thought Harry would pop out and... well I dunno. but yeah. Instead? Well instead they drag them away from the house and burn it to the freaking ground.

Death Eaters? More like Weak Eaters. Amirite?(ok lame joke) It would have atleast been so much cooler if they were INSIDE the Burrow when they destroyed it.! But... no. That and Tonks was just... really? She was so cool in the books but now not so much. Granted in the books there was actually a side story involving her.

Where was the Appirition Classes? I mean couldn't we have had just a small glimpse? Now I bring this up because... well the actual act is something Harry brings up. Hell Harry even brings up the concept of not being able to perform it within Hogwart's Grounds! The first time he tags along Dumbledore he was like 'That was appirition' and Dumbledore comments something about most people puking. No Classes but with all of this? Just felt off to me.

Now here is one last thing that really bugged me also. No funeral for Dumbledore. Also Ron in the last scene was just... I dunno off. When Hermionie mentions that they are going with him. I was half hoping Ron would jump in and say something about it but he just kept silent the whole time.

But yeah why no Funeral for Dumbledore? Though I have to admit I did like how everyone held up their wands. That was sorta cool I guess.

Oh! Oh!!

Now maybe I am wrong but I could have SWORN there was more to Draco and Snape fleeing the school then just... Harry chasing after them. Wasn't there some sort of fight? Hell wasn't Hagrid being attacked by several Death Eaters only to have their spells sorta bounce off/not really effect him? I just thought there was more of a... well of a fight. Actually wasn't Bill bitten by Fenrir? Holy crap they completely left out Bill... and Percy! But BILL man BILL!! My God those bastards! Sad Ok I guess thats a minor complaint but... yeah.

I mean I guess the movie all in all was enjoyable. I mean you might be able to get a good movie if you don't or can't compare it to the book but... well for me I just couldn't do it for to long.

You see I try and seperate them and enjoy it for what it is. I know they have to cut out alot, I know they can't squeeze in everything. But some adaptations just... well I guess you can say slip by and really bug me. Sad

On the bright side Deathly Hollows will be a 2 part deal. Which is sweet. Because this means that they will be able to cut less out and hopefully not add more crap in.

Oh and weren't Ron and Hermione supposed to get together in this book or was that in Deathly Hollows? o.O

Oh well.

Ok I am done ranting and not really... uh reviewing it I guess.

But really couldn't they have just tossed in a little montage of Harry and Ginny?

(yes I know I am laaammmmeee)
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Empty Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post by Unit7 Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:28 am

I just remembered something that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

After Harry and Draco fight, and Harry uses Sectrum Sempre(I think thats the spells name) and badly wounds Draco there was no punishment for it. There was no teacher talking to him asking him. The fight just happened and then that was it.

It did lead Harry and Ginny to the Room of Requirments to get rid of the book but... he just was able to do it with out any sort of punishment from anyone really. o.O
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Empty Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post by Rex Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 am

I am probably one of the few people on the planet who hasn't seen the movies. I have cached a few glimpses from when they aired them on TV but never really watched them. I downloaded a few of them but that just to watch that Krum so I can show slavic solidarity and of course to watch the scenes with the awesome Luna

However I have read the books and I enjoyed. Not really love them but that was mostly because I have read just a few years ago when I was already an adult, I had a bit of prejudice that I had to get over because I usually am automatically against any hype and most of all because what Harry Potter did for The Wheel of Time did for me and the series while having similarities are quite different in some aspects so I had to get used to Harry Potter

However while the stories were intriguing and hooked me I must say I never really warmed up to quite a few of the characters.

I can't stand Harry Potter himself. I completely share Snape's opinion of him. He is a stupid irresponsible boy who almost never thinks before he acts and is constantly endangering the people around him. And when he went through his whining phase I felt like skipping entire chapters of him

Ron. If I dislike Harry Potter then I completely loathe Ron. One of the most pathetic and off putting characters I have seen. I hoped so hard they kill him in each book I just can't find anything redeeming about him

Hermionenye(?) is actually the only one of the 3 main ones that I liked. She had her annoying moments but I found her character far more appealing then the rest and with time I grew to like her a lot. I feel disgusted that she had to end up with that loser Ron. She could have done so much better. Like say Luna for example. Now that would have been a great pairing

And speaking of Luna.. Best character. Ok maybe she ties the best title with Snape. I just adore her. She rally captures your heart from the begining. She just rocks harder then a box of socks

Snape. I completely sympathies with this man. He seems like the only intelligent person in the entire series. No wonder he is depressed all the time

Voldermor- No character development really. I like my villains more fleshed out. Sure by the end we got good parts especially with his past but I would have liked to learn a lot more about him

Dumbeldore(?). Well this picture pretty illustrates how idiotic I find him

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Dumbledore_appdrop

....so where was I going with this again?
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down