Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dexter Season 1-4 Review

2 posters

Go down

Dexter  Season 1-4 Review Empty Dexter Season 1-4 Review

Post by Unit7 Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 am

I had heard quite a bit about Dexter for awhile now. I have heard that it was a good show and all that. Whats not to like about a serial killer who kills those who justice fails to punish?

Dexter Morgan is a Blood Splatter Analyst who moonlights as a serial killer. He works for the Metro Miami Homicide Department along with his sister Deborah Morgan who is a Officer/Detective. The show follows Dexter as he deals with his struggle with what he calls 'The Dark Passenger' the inner demon that demands him to kill, that enjoys the act of taking life of others. Thanks to his adoptive father Harry Morgan he carries around a code which Dexter refers to as The Code of Harry.

Season 1

I really enjoyed this season. I loved how it so easily balanced the overall story of the Ice Truck Killer and sort of a Kill of the Week type of setup. Usually when there is a X of the Week type of thing it means alot of episodes the overall story for the series/season takes a back seat with some episodes inbetween that move that plot forward. Which isn't so bad really. X-Files, Supernatural, Smallville(early seasons anyways) Fringe do this rather well. But for me it was a change of things.

The revelation that the ITK and Dexter were brothers and how he came to be adopted by Harry is disturbing. What kind of asshole uses a chainsaw to kill a mother in front of her two sons? if that wasn't bad enough, you lock them inside? That is just messed up.

I also enjoyed the flashbacks of Dexter and Harry. They were creepy that a father, not only knowing such darkness in their kid, but helping to make sure that they wont get caught. This is the Code of Harry. A series of rules Dexter lives by. Such as making sure that the person he kills is guilty. I also enjoyed in season 3 and season 4 that this Code of Harry takes on a personification of Harry. Thats how I viewed those moments where Dexter and Harry talk. Sort of the Code trying to ensure Dexter doesn't screw up when he loses faith in what he has been taught. Considered making a fanfic sorta going on about how 'Harry' is what Dexter might call the Light Passenger. But doesn't seem to fit. lol

What I also loved about this season was that Dexter takes on a fascination on the Ice Truck Killer. How he is simply amazed at the beauty of his work. That scene where he first looks at a victim is definitely a memorable moment.

Season 2.

Season 2 takes place... well I dunno how long after Season 1. But Dexter's dumping ground is found and he is given the title 'The Bayside Butcher' much to Dexter's displeasure. Unfortunately for me, because I am so late in seeing the series, I knew that Dexter wouldn't be caught now. There were several seasons to go! So alot of the suspense and tension was lost on me because unless they went a more Hannibal Lector type of deal, someone else was going to take a fall for the crimes or... well not much choice.

I loved how Dexter was desperately trying to keep 1 step ahead of Lundy, a FBI agent assigned to the case, and well everyone else. Everytime he figured he was safe for now, there was something else to take care of to make sure he doesn't fall. Again because I knew this wasn't the last season, this would have been alot more enjoyable. Great season though. This is actually all that I remember from Season 2. Sad

Season 3

After killing his first Innocent man in self defense, Dexter's world takes some drastic changes in the form of Miguel, the brother of the man Dexter kills. Again I enjoyed this season. It continues with the sort of Kill of the Week with the overall story. It also continues to deliver a disturbing look into the lives of 'Monsters' in sheep clothing. Miguel at first appears to be a dedicated ADA. Which turns into an ADA who seems to cut corners to win, to a monster not unlike Dexter. The slow revealing of this ADA for what he is was executed amazingly well. Meanwhile there is the Skinner running lose which is connected to a man Dexter killed. Everything is nicely intertwined. At first I have to admit I thought Quinn was the Skinner. But I was wrong.

It was also fun to watch Dexter and Rita's relationship grow. He had started dating her because it made him normal. Because of her past and husband(who I really hated and wasn't sorry to see him die. If only it was on Dexter's table...) it was also convienient because Dexter isn't to fond of Sex. There is no 'dignity' in it. But it was fun to watch it grow into something into more of a convienient thing to something... a bit more.

Season 4.

I loved how they did the Trinity Killer. You first see him and you think he is a complete crazy guy. What with appearing in some ladys bathroom naked and taking a bath with her and cutting a major artery and taking a bit of a bath. Then you learn he is a family man, a deacon at a church, the perfect father and husband. He is what Dexter is becoming... or so he thinks. You then slowly learn how controling and how horrible a man the Trinity Killer is. Locking his daughter in her room. Hitting his son, breaking his fingers, and his wife scared shitless that she doesn't mind that Dexter could take full advantage of their 15 year old daughter as long as her husband doesn't find out. Not that he would.

Its was also alot of fun to see him try and be a suburban father. Dealing with neighbors, a vandal, Aster becoming a Teenager. Dexter and Rita's marriage takes a ugly turn and I got to admit I hated it. I enjoyed it that it continues with exploring and developing Dexter its just... well like Deb I thought they were great together.

Which leads me to the ending of season 4. Sadly I peeked. I had to know the fate of Rita before it was ready to be revealed to me. I spoiled myself. When Dexter finally took care of The Trinity Killer that someone was playing a massive joke. But I had a feeling it wasn't going to happen like that. That the spoilers I read was true. Even knowing seeing Dexter come into the bathroom, his one year old son(was he one yet?) sitting in a pool of his mother's blood. Rita in the bathtub with bloody water. It was just... so sad. Because of Rita he had managed to come along way. He is no longer that feelingless killer. He had discovered that he could feel some emotions he never thought possible and realizing he truly did want to be with her and have a family. Watching Dexter leave the bathroom, with Harrison looking back towards the bathroom, and a brief image of Dexter being in a similar situation, was truly heartbreaking. Luckily Harrison is to young to possibly remember that night(hopefully) giving him a chance Dexter never had.

Why did she have to die? Sad

Favorite Character Time!!

Dexter- A complex character for a guy who doesn't feel much emotion. A guy who can kill someone without regret and yet disappointing Rita crushes him. I also love how he seems to be fond of children. Several times its commented that Dexter had always been good/liked children. I also enjoy his narrative of his thoughts. Sometimes such narratives can be annoying. But in Dexter's case they are pulled of great. Add to that they are all done in a rather emotionless reminds us that the seemingly great Father figure and all around happy guy is just masking who he is.

Deborah- At first I wasn't sure if I would like her. I guess there was something about her that put me off. But as I watched I learned to love her incredibly foul mouth.(exactly how does one kick a guy's nuts down his throat work anyways?) The actress who plays Deb is also amazing. Another thing I like is how opposite of Dexter she truly is. While Dexter can't feel most emotions and has a poor understanding of them, Deb is a really emotional character.

Vince- Alright quick question? What is up with his Truck and that country music(was it country music?) He is also one of the dirtier minds on Dexter. In fact thats where most of the dirty humor comes from. I think Deb mentions that he can make anything sound perverted. But aside from his dirty mind and jokes. I didn't like CS Lee on Chuck all that much so when he left Chuck I wasn't to disapointed or really cared. But I am glad he did leave, because he is great as Vince.

Rita.
She starts off as this weak character. She is unsure of herself it seems, she is reluctant to try and get what she wants. But she grows into a stronger character. She becomes more assertive and independant. Because of her exhusband she was left in ruins, but Dexter whether he knows it or not, helped her out of that. Helped her get control over her own life. It sucks that Dexter wasn't exactly the best of husbands and should have been around more. But atleast they were getting along great before she died.

Season 5.

Looking forward to it. Smile

Last edited by Unit7 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Dexter  Season 1-4 Review Empty Re: Dexter Season 1-4 Review

Post by Rex Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 am

Mother fuck! Shit fuck! Hell yeah. Another Dexter fan Dexter  Season 1-4 Review 536159
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Rex wrote:Mother fuck! Shit fuck! Hell yeah. Another Dexter fan Dexter  Season 1-4 Review 536159

When I first read this comment I completely missed the whole reference. How sad is that? I am like halfway through season 4 at the moment and am really loving this. Wasn't to sure if I would like Deb at first. But how can you not love her mouth? Though I am curious as to how kicking a guy's nuts down his throat works exactly...

Anyways posted because I finally got to an episode where Dexter comments about even him being disturbed by something. For awhile now I have been waiting to hear him say something like 'And here I thought I was disturbed' or something like that.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:07 am

Lol. She sure is something. I especially like how natural she is at it. With her swearing is almost like breathing Smile

In season 4? I don't remember this. Now in season 5 he really get's disturbed by something
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Rex wrote:Lol. She sure is something. I especially like how natural she is at it. With her swearing is almost like breathing Smile

In season 4? I don't remember this. Now in season 5 he really get's disturbed by something

Normally I am not to fond of lots of swearing. I mean it can be done great, but sometimes it just comes off horrible. But the actress who plays Deb pulls it off. The writers also know when to use it and when not to. Watching her having to say Fudge in the Thanksgiving episode was fun. Also she is hot and a great actress.

It was the episode where Dexter kills that artist who turns out to be innocent. They were in the briefing room and a few of his 'art' pieces were on the projector. One in particular with a girl holding her entestines up towards her mouth or something. Dexter comments 'even this disturbs me'

Looking forward to getting to season 5 then. lol

Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down