Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe

2 posters

Go down

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe Empty Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe

Post by Unit7 Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:28 am

When I first learned about the Sam Axe movie spinoff thing I was a bit excited. I mean what's not to love about a movie featuring Bruce Campbell? I mean he named Spiderman and was perhaps the biggest villian in Spiderman 2.

So when I learned that it was finally coming out I just had to see it.

I got to admit as funny as the first minute or so were, it was sorta odd. I guess I had expected to see a far more serious Sam Axe then what we might see. I remember reading a part of a review that the movie would focus on the how Sam Axe ends up in Miami and how he was more of a...well what you might expect from a Navy SEAL.

The movie takes place shortly before the start of the series. Sam is being questioned in regards to a mission he had recently taken part of in Columbia. As the story unfolds it becomes more clear as to the nature of this get together and that it's far more then just some questions.

He starts his retelling of the mission by explaining how he got involved with it. Pretty much he unknowingly sleeps with a superior officer's wife and of course he finds out. Before that though we get a cool cameo by Jeffrey Donovan(who if I read the credits right, was the director of the movie)

In this scene we get a possible explination of the Spy Tips we recieve throughout the series. Though this could simply be them sorta poking fun at the Spy Tips. Who knows?

But it's also great to see Michael still believing in the system. I always sorta viewed this in the series as something that he loses. He seems to be trying to hold onto his faith in the system. I think it's partly why he wants to believe he could clear his name, while Sam and Fiona thought it was sorta hopeless because they lost faith in the whole system already. Fiona with the death of her Sister and Sam with... well the entire point of this movie.

So it was a quick cameo and one that I was expecting to see. In fact I would have been rather dissapointed otherwise.

Anyways.

Sam is tasked with tagging along with a military group people and gather intel on a supposed terrorist group and help protect a clinic. Along the way he meets some Chick.. who I don't remember the name. A female teenager I think I know her name but dunno how to spell it. Along wtih the "terrorist" group.

So if I was slightly disapointed with the lack of seriousness from Sam. It was well made up for as the movie went along. It's not to say I wasn't enjoying myself. But it was great seeing Sam being able to really show off what he is capable of. In the series he is always sort of the backup. He has all the connections and he seems to be more of the guy who gathers the intel. Not that he hasn't had his bad ass moments.

The movie was a great blend of comedy and action. In the end it was Sam Axe, being Sam Axe.

Oh and we learn where and why Sam uses the alias Chuck Finley. I was also hoping to see this in the movie. Very Happy

Also the ending was great. In fact the whole movie was a really fun watch.

Though I got to admit. They really really didn't put any effort into developing the villian. I suppose the villians in Burn Notice were never it's strongest aspect. You could probably replace the villian with any of the various villians from the series and you wouldn't be to far off.

But I suppose in this aspect, whether for better or worse, it stayed true to the series.

Oh!

And Fiona, while not seen, is referenced. Though I suppose one character is probably channeling the spirit of her or something...

Though it really sucks(big spoilers... sorta?)

What Sam managed to do down in Columbia would be impressive by anyone's standard. He was outmanned, out gunned, and working with group that would have gotten creamed otherwise all the while helping a clinic and it's patients.

In the end he was completely screwed over by the Navy. Halfway through the movie or so it's become clear that Sam is going to need a lawyer. He says he doesn't need one because it doesn't matter. He knew before he even got there that he wasn't there for simple questioning.

In the end it was a great movie.

Now when does the series return? Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe Empty Re: Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe

Post by Rex Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 am

You ninjas me. I was just about to write about the awesomeness of the movie Very Happy

Everything was just perfect. And I know what you men about the seriousness but the thing is this movie was specifically developed for Sam?Bruce Campbell fans and this it had to with the traditional spirit. If they went into a serious direction the whole thing would have just collapsed on itself. But even so I think they did a pretty good job of conveying the emotions and really stayed true to the spirit of Sam who always did show a selfless side when needed.

And yeah I loved the references. I also loved that they paid homage to the Evil Dead. Classic Laughing
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Rex wrote:You ninjas me. I was just about to write about the awesomeness of the movie Very Happy

Sorry about that, but after I saw it I knew I had to write about it. Which reminds me I have a few series I need to write about aswell. Especially SG1 and BSG and... well I'll get to them.

Everything was just perfect. And I know what you men about the seriousness but the thing is this movie was specifically developed for Sam?Bruce Campbell fans and this it had to with the traditional spirit. If they went into a serious direction the whole thing would have just collapsed on itself. But even so I think they did a pretty good job of conveying the emotions and really stayed true to the spirit of Sam who always did show a selfless side when needed.

I agree. In the end it was just perfect. While I still would have liked to see a more serious Sam, I can see how that could have ended up badly. I always liked that Sam was selfless. He sometimes gives off the appearance that he is sorta lazy in the series, but when it comes down to it he is more then willing to have the crap beat out of him. All the while taunting the bad guys. lol

And yeah I loved the references. I also loved that they paid homage to the Evil Dead. Classic Laughing

Wait where did they pay homage to the Evil Dead? o.O
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Oh SG1. Can't wait to hear you thought. Which episode are you at?

Yeah that's what I think as well if they did too much seriousness the already heavy topic might have made the other jokes out of place. Lol yeah love the fact that he always has a comeback. This reminds of the time they kidnapped him to blackmail Michael

I think it was several times. First the raised gun which was the classic pose from army of the dead in the poster and the chainsaw of course and I think there was a few more that I can't remember right now
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 am

Rex wrote:Oh SG1. Can't wait to hear you thought. Which episode are you at?

Almost done with Season 3. At the episode where they travel to Keb and Daniel sorta learns from the monk guy. Actually just finished the scene where he puts his hand in the fire.

My only complaint about the show is that it seems like every other episode is either them getting locked up or some Alien device/disease virus thing makes messes with their minds. Though I did find it amusing that in the first season or so every mission they went on ended up as a complete failure. Half the time they actually would have succeeded but something happens to ruin it forcing them to leave empty handed. But aside from this it's been a great series so far. Also love how even the smaller details in a show sometimes crop up in a later episode. Such as Sam having her hand cut when she tried to get Daniels knife back from those naked people. I think that's one anyways. In the Time travel episode Hammond mentions he only knew that they would go back in time because he recognized the cut on her hand.

Well I'll have more to say later. Very Happy

Yeah that's what I think as well if they did too much seriousness the already heavy topic might have made the other jokes out of place. Lol yeah love the fact that he always has a comeback. This reminds of the time they kidnapped him to blackmail Michael

It's a hard balance to maintain. Not sure if this is the same episode, but the one time I always remember when it comes to Sam getting the crap beat out of him was when he was being held on that ship and he sends that message through that pose. Think it might be that episode, all I really remember are those scenes with Sam

I think it was several times. First the raised gun which was the classic pose from army of the dead in the poster and the chainsaw of course and I think there was a few more that I can't remember right now

Oh yeah. I can't believe I didn't mention that chainsaw throw. When I realized what was happening my thoughts were like 'Yeah, only Sam/Bruce could pull that throw off)

Good stuff. Very Happy
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down