Secret Life and Kyle XY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names?

+4
Rex
Unit7
xChorusOfAngelsx
ayan
8 posters

Go down

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names? Empty Does it bother you religious holidays changed names?

Post by ayan Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 pm

For example we were having discussion in one of my classes, and this girl was pissed because now we say winter break instead of Christmas or Spring break instead of Easter? She was going on about how the holidays lost its meaning. Now I personally don't care for it, I mean I love Christmas just because my rich christian grandparents send me awesome gifts, but do you think its a problem if we addressed them way way?

ayan

Back to top Go down

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names? Empty Re: Does it bother you religious holidays changed names?

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:54 pm

I think naming breaks winter break and spring break is completely acceptable. There are a lot of holidays that are celebrated over winter break, it's not really fair to just call it Christmas break. And most of the time Easter isn't even during spring break.

I do find it ridicules that people go overboard with the politically correctness bullshit. If someone gets pissed that I say Merry Christmas to them, they can kiss my pasty white ass. They're welcome to respond with "Happy [whatever holiday they do celebrate]". Calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree is going too far as well.
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names? Empty Re: Does it bother you religious holidays changed names?

Post by Unit7 Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:08 am

xChorusOfAngelsx wrote:.

I do find it ridicules that people go overboard with the politically correctness bullshit. If someone gets pissed that I say Merry Christmas to them, they can kiss my pasty white ass. They're welcome to respond with "Happy [whatever holiday they do celebrate]". Calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree is going too far as well.

Agreed. I have no problems with someone saying 'Happy Holidays' to me or 'Happy Hanukkah' even though I don't celebrate it. I will smile and return the greeting.

To me its not so much as whats being said, but why its being said. They are simply wishing you a happy holiday. They are not forcing religion or anything down you. They are just wanting you to have a good day.

So wish me whatever you want. Though I guess I'd be more inclined to just say 'Happy Holidays' unless I know what they celebrate this time of year. Or just repeat whatever they say to me. Razz

Now calling a Christmas Tree a Holiday tree is just... uh... no. While I guess not really linked to Christianity so much in the past, it's synonymous with Christmas. But then why stop there? Why not call a menorah... um... a Holiday um.. nvm.

Just let it be. Does it truly hurt anyone? Some people have taken Political Correctness to far.

However. I do agree with the changing of Christmas break to Holiday Break. Well actually I lied. I don't really care what they call it.
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rex Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:01 am

I think this fits into the category of

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names? First-world-problems
Rex
Rex
Leliel
Leliel

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 am

I personally have nothing against people wishing me Merry Christmas, because sometimes I celebrate it with family and friends. But I don't understand why the naming thing has to be a big deal. There are people that are plain stupid though, this lady was wishing people merry Christmas in front of this one restaurant and the owner started tripping for no reason I guess.

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I have no preference whatsoever. I am most inclined to say Merry Christmas just because, even as an atheist, that stupid, commercial, moneysucking holiday is permanently ingrained into my soul. I think people need to quit going apeshit when someone wishes them Happy Holidays though. Most don't mean it as a swipe at religion, people have said that forever. And who is to say a retailer can't decide what they want their employees to say? Your life isn't going to end if the person in blockbuster doesn't feed your precious CHRISTmas spirit. Just a little anecdote here, I have never once heard someone be offended by Merry Christmas, can't say the same for the tards that wear those obnoxious "It's okay to wish ME Merry Christmas" buttons.

Also I have no beef with winter/spring break because that is what it has always been called down here. It parallels summer break and is just more descriptive. Normal people aren't celebrating Easter on spring break. In a secular country we shouldn't show preference for any one religion anyways. I guess I would be irked if we called it Christmas break, when a good portion of people are celebrating other holidays or none at all. Calling it winter break is inclusive. I am at a loss at how someone could construe that as an attack on religion/Christmas. Is it an attack on Yule if we don't call it Solstice Break?
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Here is a reaction from Ben Stein, a man I really respect.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/confessions.asp
scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

http://www.nrlc.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by PiperC! Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Ewww Ben Stein...
PiperC!
PiperC!

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Interesting article! I am not familiar with his work though.

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:10 pm

ayan wrote:Interesting article! I am not familiar with his work though.

It is okay. He is a genius dude who acts, is on game shows etc. One was "Win Ben Stein's" Money. I really like him. He has a great deal of wisdom. O:)
scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I googled him! lol He is the clear eyes dude. Smile

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by scifidawn Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

ayan wrote:I googled him! lol He is the clear eyes dude. Smile

He does ALL kinds of stuff. But, now you know who he is.
He also made a movie a few years ago expelled, about the existance of God. I loved that movie.
I do not know his IQ, but it is up there.

scifidawn
scifidawn
Prayer Warrior
Prayer Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Unit7 Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

All I remember him from is an episode of the Wonder Years and Ferris Buellers Day off
Unit7
Unit7
Rune Warrior
Rune Warrior

http://secretlifexy.niceboards.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah_Banana222 Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Bueller. Bueller. Bueller.
Hannah_Banana222
Hannah_Banana222
Surprise Me
Surprise Me

http://hannahlynneschuster.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ayan Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:23 am

PiperC! wrote:Ewww Ben Stein...
I just watched a video and he was in it! not a nice man! I can see why you dislike him. Evil or Very Mad

ayan

Back to top Go down

Post by melissa052 Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Oh, yes... It offends me deeply. Christmas is Christmas and Easter is... Oh, you want my serious answer? Ah... Okay.

Doesn't matter to me a bit. I mean really? It's just a name. It's undeniably true that holidays might have lost their meaning, but that's not important when it comes to naming the vacation off of school. To me, the holidays have lost their meaning solely through marketing. I mean what should be a time for spending time with family has become a time where marketers take advantage of all the materialistic things, getting money any way they could.
melissa052
melissa052
Film Buff
Film Buff

http://destinationeveryplace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xChorusOfAngelsx Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Does it bother you religious holidays changed names? Fuck-c10
xChorusOfAngelsx
xChorusOfAngelsx
Music Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down